US$107
US$88
  • Breakfast included
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$143
US$97
Free cancellation until 21/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$86
  • Pool
US$99
Bodhi Serene Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$122
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$33
Agoda.com
US$386
US$305
US$211
The Balcony Chiang Mai Village(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
All reviewsdeluxe roomfree wifiminute walkthe ground floorbahtbalconyhuaylaundrycondowardrobe
Reviewed 7 November 2014

While there are some things I do like about the Dome, I want to focus on one thing I am very dissatisfied with: the Internet Bandwidth issue.

I am in Chiang Mai for a year, and we are staying at the Dome for 3 months while we get used to the city. My husband and I didn't mind the Dome initially, there are some positive aspects to it, but the internet situation is killing us. We both use the internet for school and work, and it's often excruciatingly slow, as in 1990s dial-up slow.

We are in a room very close to the wireless router, which is just outside our door. Sometimes we even go into the hallway to sit right near it out of desperation, but that hardly helps. It's not the proximity to the router that's the problem, I'm pretty sure it's the bandwidth.

The whole hotel must be online at the same time I'm supposing. Forget about watching a video online.

And forget about Skype. I've been here two months and have been unable to Skype home since I've been here.

Looks like they have a Wireless-G 2.4 GHz Linksys modem, which really needs to be thrown in the trash.

They need to upgrade and get a Wireless N network or whatever, I'm not a tech expert but I'm pretty sure that could help...

As I was saying, my husband and I rely on having a fast internet connection for work, school, and communication with family in the United States. It's very important. And we've been quite stressed when a page that should take about 1 second to load takes 10 minutes. And quite annoyed we can't Skype with family or watch a video during our down time.

This is really is a huge problem in the year 2014, and the Dome could probably take some relatively simple steps to improve it.

Also, the beds are a bit stiff. They will start to kill your back after a bit. The furniture in general is quite uncomfortable. It's also a little too close to Huey Kaew Road which is pretty noisy from cars all the time. Not the most peaceful place to relax and get work done.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Jamie L
Reviewed 14 October 2014

I really wanted to like the Dome, but it didn't work out for me. The Dome was actually recommended to me by part-time Chiang Mai residents who come every year to enjoy all that the city has to offer. Unfortunately, it just wasn't our style. The bathrooms are pretty poorly maintained and little details were not taken care of in terms of cleanliness. Plenty of dusty and cobwebs in the corners. There was a small balcony, but it wasn't in very good shape so we never used it. Since Chiang Mai is a hot place, and like most places in south east asia, there were ants around - all around the sink area, sometimes in the beds. Not enough to complain, but enough to make us uncomfortable. Also, walls are pretty thin, so if you get a group of party-goers (like we did), then you might have to encounter listening to some late night-puking and shouting at late hours.

I did bring up the neighbor issue with the front desk, and they offered to speak to them directly about it.

The other guests at the hotel are mostly long-term, it seems.

Probably will find other means of accommodation in Chiang Mai. Absolutely loved the proximity to Nimmahaeminda road and this section of town - away from all the tourists.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Candace Y
Reviewed 15 September 2014

I like this place. It's close to Nimmanahaeminda Rd about 2 blocks to the west, and Chiang Mai city centre 2 blocks east. A 20 baht taxi get you anywhere in town you want to go to. The big Maya shopping centre has a great grocery store, named Rimping, that opens at 6am and closes at 11pm, and they have a lot of food that Westerners might be looking for. There is another grocery store, Tops market, at Central Kad suan kaev that's not as good in my opinion, so if you're staying at the Dome, go to Maya.

If you reserve the room for three months, the price is about 33% of what you pay per night, so if you're in town for awhile, consider this option.

There's no pool at the Dome, that's one downside. And it's too close to the road, you still hear those damn scooters constantly on the Huaykaew road below. But the Dome does have great views of the mountain. There's a sister hotel, called the Bliss hotel, that is very similar to the Dome but costs a little bit more. I prefer the Bliss as the neighbourhood is a little bit better.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business

Muang Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand
www.thedomechiangmai.com
E-mail: contact@thedomechiangmai.com
Tel: +66 (0)53 405 400
I stayed here in August 2014. 14 days.
Three types of rooms; standard, deluxe & suite priced at 790, 990 & 1190 baht. With “American” breakfast. Everything is nice & clean. Suites have a microwave oven. My deluxe room has flat-screen TV/20 channels in both Thai & English, medium size fridge (Not a mini-fridge), desk, small couch, soft bed, tile floors, shower (only) with hot water, air-con, supplied soap, shampoo, tissue, two 500ml waters, 2 coffee packets with boiling water pot. Deluxe room is reasonably large. 50M walk to Huay Kaew Rd. Access to the NW corner of the moat is a 10” walk. Access to Central Department Store/Tops Supermarket & Nimmanhaemin Road are 5” & 10” away respectively. It is fairly quiet here. I have no complaints. Wi-fi is FREE man. Yee-ha. Seems to work OK, so far.

Room Tip: Check out a deluxe room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank salemnobody
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Just left The Dome Residence after 6 weeks there and liked it. Have to say up front we are not high maintenance people and prefer to be left alone to do our own thing.

One of the best things about the Dome is the location. We could walk to just about everything! The zoo was only about 25 minutes walk, the center of old town was about the same - we walk briskly. The brand new Maya mall (with food court downstairs) was about 5-10 minutes walking west and so was Kad Suan Kaew walking east (3 food courts and night food market out front 5 nights a week and a supermarket downstairs). Since we don't speak Thai it was great to be able to tell a songtao or tuk tuk driver we wanted to go to Kad Suan Kaew and everyone knew where it was! Also, since we were just off Huay Kaew there were tons of songtao whizzing past all the time. I'd think the further you are off of a large street the more difficult to convince a driver to take you there or to find one driving past.

We thought The Dome was very quiet resident-wise. I read someone say the halls were dark - how could it be when the entire center of the building is one big atrium with a opaque ceiling! We were on the 7th floor so perhaps the lower floors were darker but we could see all the way down to the garden on the bottom floor. Some folks did slam their doors but wasn't anything you couldn't forgive, right? OK, there is traffic noise but it was because we had the room overlooking the busy street and Doi Suthep on the hill. We liked the view and watching the traffic so that was the compromise we had to make - we slept with the balcony doors opened but if you closed them it got quiet. One thing to mention with any place you choose, be aware of the sun direction because certain sides of buildings are much cooler than others, but that's not a flaw of the Dome it goes for everywhere.

The actual room doesn't have many amenities. We had a deluxe room so it was bigger than the basic room but all there was inside was - a double bed, an armoire, 2 night stands, a built-in desk with one chair (asked for another, no problem), wide screen TV and a fridge. I read other reviewers mention microwaves, we didn't have any nor any other kitchen equipment. Oh, we had one plate and 2 glasses. Got a few supplies at the Central Dept. store to round things out. But I'd suggest buying any short term living supplies at a number of small shops that are meant just for people like you. They have everything needed, laundry baskets, dinnerware, storage supplies, detergent, etc. We also bought a light socket on a long cord and a light bulb and mounted it in place with a Command Strip plastic hook. I like things bright!

Important for me was that there were no bugs, the drains were quick, the shower was hot, the air con worked great. BTW the total electrical use for us for 6 weeks was about 38 cents usd per day but we didn't use the aircon but did have our computers on all the time. OK, they do ask an extra fee for a second computer but it's only 50 cents a day and the connection was really strong. There are two elevators in the building and both were quick and we never had to wait more than a few seconds till one arrived.

We never asked much of the front desk crew but there is one lady in particular who speaks really good English. The others not so much but we just kept our questions until we saw this lady.

Just to let you know, a new building is going up about a block away but we weren't bothered by the noise. They begin work around 8:00 am or later and quit around 4:00-ish. We were out of our room for most of the day anyhow and it was fun to watch the progress and definitely not a bother.

If we were to stay in Chiang Mai again we would definitely be happy to stay at The Dome. People unhappy with places always say, "I found a much better place and cheaper, too!" well, would you mind telling us where that is??

Room Tip: Pick the shady side of the building and upper floors have a nicer view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple