US$111
US$108
US$83
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$156
US$97
Bodhi Serene Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$176
US$112
US$142
US$107
The Balcony Chiang Mai Village(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$47
US$45
US$86
US$72
Priceline
  • Pool
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$30
Priceline
BED Phrasingh(Chiang Mai)
US$81
US$66
US$210
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 August 2009

It was the greatest experience I've ever had. Ban Kong Rao is not only a nice peaceful place. People there are amazing, you really feel like home, They are friends, family...helpful and smiling all the time.
When you're there you never feel like you want to move. Food is great and your room is so comfortable...
When I'm back to Chiang Mai, I know now where to stay... AT HOME.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Exceeded my expectations, in spite of all of the good recommendations I read. Booked a room for a week here in July while taking a course at Chiang Mai University, figuring that I'd do a bit of ground research and find another place to switch to. I ended up staying there the whole month, extending my stay week by week.

Lovely staff, Jenny (owner and often tending about things and being welcoming) and Max (front desk, day manager and sometimes cook) speak excellent english, so communication was never a problem. They definitely embody the Thai spirit of jai dii. Have an issue? just tell them and they see to it. Like your sheets washed more or less often because you are more or less eco-minded? just let them know. want to take your key with you during the day rather than leave it with staff? not a problem.

Rooms were clean and comfortable, ac at the ready with water in the fridge 'magically' replenished each day. Bathrooms exceptionally clean and cool open shower, smooth concrete design. Cute little sitting area off the road with green screen and little umbrellas to keep away the summer heat. computer in the main room with free internet (service can be slow, but that's because all of the kids in Thailand jump on the internet at 4 after school to play games. nothing to be done about that.)

The neighborhood is real Thai. not touristy, so if you are looking for the tree lined sidewalks, this is not it. but it's close enough to everything (a red songtaew is only 20-30 baht, or about a buck and five to ten minutes. to almost anywhere in the city.) I ended up not spending very much time inside the old city as my interests were, again, not so central. Doi Suthep (the Wat on the hill overlooking the city) is a must see and Jenny can arrange for a scooter or two if you don't want to take public transport. (be sure to ask for bigger helmets or you may have a squeeze).

For food - the Breakfast is an excellent value as others have written. I'm paranoid about staring my day with good food, and here they deliver. fr dinner or lunch, Joi's Pad Pak mixed vegetables are excellent and light, without MSG. the view from the roof deck is a nice change from your daily streetview.

it took me a couple of days to get around to it, but the aircon 'Puppy' cafe across the street has the best Pad Thai I've ever had, and equally friendly staff. Always a smile. and some of the largest iced cafe... as well as a the little brown poodle you can sometimes see at the end of the day. (the cafe is named after the little dog).

Jenny doubles as a designer and florist. her handwriting is quite elegant. and the crew sometimes works on side arrangements during the day. If you have a request for a gift for someone, she's got pretty good taste, ask her for an idea for gift or place to go see/do. you can always take or leave her recommendation.

For the price (just a few baht over other some places, but significantly under chain hotels by the night bazar which is overrated and the Nimanhemin area which is cute but overpriced), I did not find a better place for the value, even given the internet reviews and walking about once there to look at other places.
I will definitely stay again.

Just one more note about Thailand - keep a smile. it makes a difference to just about everyone (not just at BKR). I have heard some stories about deferential treatment for Farang who smile... you never know.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2009

My sister and I just spent 10 days here and were so impressed by the friendly staff, the food and the cleanliness of the place. They couldn't do enough for us. It is a real gem and worth staying. It is slighlty outside the town but we preferred that. There is a great yoga studio and cafe opposite too (satva yoga). Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2009

My boyfriend and I spent a few nights here. We loved it! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room is clean and spacious. Great price for the hotel! I highly recommend this B&B!!! The food was very good. Computer to share for free in the lobby. Quiet at night and able to walk into town during the day.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We stayed here a week as I was studying at the near by ITM. The place is just beautiful and the staff super friendly and kind. The rooms are large and clean with very comfy beds, a tv and a fridge. You get free water and wifi here. I didn't find the location a problem at all, all the main attractions such as the night bazaar and the moat are only a short taxi ride away and the saturday and sunday markets you can walk to.
The food here is delicious and you can get a decent glass of red wine! There is a lovely place to eat directly across the road too
We actually want to move in and live here permantly, oh if only we could.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple