See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

We were greeted by friendly helpful staff. The accommodation was neat and clean; well situated within walking distance of all the major attractions but away from the bustle of the major tourist streets. Freshly prepared simple but adequate breakfast and really fabulous coffee. A laundry around the corner did our washing overnight at a very reasonable price. Many Thai restaurants surround the hotel with simple to elegant cuisine.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2016

A year later, my partner and I still reminisce about our time in Baan Chantra. Of the three places that we stayed in Thailand, Baan Chantra is the one that actually brought us into Thai culture. The traditional teak house is beautiful (but watch your step on the wooden stairs! Polished steps+stocking feet=slippery!) Every single person working there was exceptionally warm and helpful.

In fact, my positive feeling began before I even arrived. I had initially thought that my flight arrived at 12 PM, but it actually arrived at 12 AM, so I needed to book a hotel for one night earlier than I had originally thought. The manager was very helpful in finding another room that was open and then moving our luggage for us the next day. When we arrived, well after midnight, two staff people were waiting to welcome us with orange juice and face towels. It was the easiest and most gracious welcome I've ever gotten at a hotel!

During our stay, other staff people helped us with things like finding the correct bus stop,negotiating taxi fares, and recommending less-touristed restaurants. It felt like they were trying to make our stay in Bangkok as enjoyable as possible.

As for the breakfasts, DEFINITELY get the Thai breakfast. We ordered it every day, and the staff paid attention to what we liked. It seemed that it got even better as the days went by.

The only downside was that our front-facing room had a lot of traffic noise. I'd suggest trying to get a room around back if possible.

. Although the room I had booked for our stay was not available for the
We arrived after midnight but were still greeted by

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

There's nothing actually wrong with this place but it's priced like a 5 star joint up on Sukhumvit Road when it's actually a fairly ordinary doss house near Khao San Road. It has no amenities over and above the absolute basics, isn't very well furnished or presented, has very nice staff but nothing beyond what you'd expect but somehow expects you to pay sixty quid a night. I was a bit disconcerted by it really.

A deeply ordinary slab of a bed in a fairly ugly room on a horrible and very noisy street for what you'd pay for a top hotel in Bangkok. What are people praising?

No amenities- not even a hairdryer or wifi- and you'll be lucky to sleep through the traffic on Samsen Road. Save your cash and stay in similarly basic places in Banglamphu which are near identical but lack this places pretensions.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goatboyuk69
sabai-sabai1965, Owner at Baan Chantra, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2016

Dear goatboyuk69

Thank you very much for your review. Your comments will help us improve ourselves.

Yes, you are right to say that we are "basic" We believe in Thai basic way to be the best i.e. simple but clean, take care of our clients like family members, full amenities in room (key card access, in room safe, in room shower room with toiletries, free tea and coffee, free breakfast and free wifi) Wifi is provided free of charge both in room and all around the house. (Wifi password has be stared clearly in the welcome letter in your room) Hair dryer is provided upon request. If we had known your concern, we will then try our best to provide that immediately. We will be more careful next time

Regarding the noise from the street, we wish we could solved this problem completely. We had fixed the double glazed window on all rooms facing Samsen Road. However, with the wooden structure of an old 90 year old house like us, the noise can still come in a little. That is the reason why we normally offer the discount from 10-30%. We recommend our clients who need a quiet room to choose either a standard room downstairs or the Deluxe room at the back of the house.

We are so sorry that Baan Chantra did not meet your expectation.

Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

I really loved this hotel in many ways. The rooms aren't the most modern, but the location and staff are wonderful. Every morning when you wake up and go for breakfast it feels like you are being hosted by a Thai family. I talked with everyone who worked there and everyone was very friendly and were beyond hospitable. The wifi worked well, the rooms got cold, the breakfast was really good (get the curry) and the coffee was the best I had in my stay in Thailand. The price is great, I'll definitely stay here often when I'm in bkk.

Stayed: November 2016

Dear josh w

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I am glad to learn that you enjoy your stay with us. Also we are so glad you feel at home during your time in our house. That is the main priority in our team.
We do hope to have a chance to welcome you again in the near future. We will find the new menu for Thai breakfast for you next time

Reviewed 1 November 2016

A good choice if you like to stay around Khao San :)
clean rooms, good breakfast, and they really pamper you during the stay. We slept well there and felt always safe, thanks Baan Chantra for a good service and very kind company

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
sabai-sabai1965, Owner at Baan Chantra, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2016

Dear sir

Thank you for your review. We hope to have a chance to welcome both of you again in the near future