“The Ultimate Gay Resort”
Review of Babylon Bangkok

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
Babylon Bangkok
Ranked #89 of 741 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Babylon is simply described as the ultimate gay resort and spa. European and Asian sensibilities are thoughtfully melded in a design that utilises modern materials such as concrete, steel and glass with natural materials such as slate, wood and stone. In every corner of the hotel are thoughtful design features and handcrafted wooden joinery, all of the highest quality.

There is a fully equipped gym, outdoor pool and lush tropical gardens. As with every detail in this establishment, the gardens exhibit a huge amount of planning and effort. Stag horns are grafted to palm trees and boughs are wired to trees to provide a platform for mosses and orchids. Mornings are a hive of activity as gardeners re-plant, trim and topiary.

Our reservation was made via the establishment’s online system and was seamless. Arriving somewhat later at the airport than our promised E.T.A. of 1:00am, a smiling face was waving a card with our name. Yes, 1,000 BAHT for hotel transfer is four times the metered fare, but after a nine hour flight, it seemed like good value.

Check-in confirmed our reservation and in moments we were on our way to our Bvlgari Garden Suite. These rooms are in a separate two-storey wing and are accessed via the Hot House replete with Bonsai trees and all manner of interesting plant species. Three or four rooms share a private garden and lounge room with gratis tea and coffee making facilities, biscuits and cakes. We enjoyed waking up to the sounds of bird song and the maid raking the leaves.

After four days, we moved to a Baroness Suite. These are situated on the sixth and seventh floors and have their own lounge rooms and en-suites. On balance, we preferred this suite slightly over the Bvlgari Suite as we had our own lounge room. Also, the fixtures and fittings were more ornate and of a higher quality.

Breakfast is served on Level Six and comprises both Asian and European choices. It was great to start the day with a Thai version of congee followed by an omelette made to order by one of the lovely Thai ladies.

We would return to our room to find the bed made and fresh towels and water. The bed and bed linen were extremely comfortable.

The sauna opens at midday and is free to house guests. Inside, there are both a day time café and a night time restaurant. Movies are shown in the café and most nights there was live jazz in the restaurant.

The third floor is taken entirely by the massage suite. Strong fingered Thai men will work your tired muscles for 300 BAHT.

The staff were extremely helpful and sweet. At check-out they applied a 10% discount to our first four days for no better reason than we had stayed an additional four days

You may expect that all of this would attract a mostly European clientele, but this was not the case.

In conclusion, staying at Babylon is akin to stepping into a surreal parallel universe or a movie set.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank aussiepiper

Reviewed 23 January 2009

Flew into Bangkok the evening of December 26, 2008 from Bali. I had arranged for a driver to pick me up with the hotel. He was waiting for me after I collected my luggage and went directly to the hotel. A nice way to arrive. I stayed in one of the Bottocelli Suites in Bottocelli House, a gated property right by Babylon. A little pricey but well worth it. My rooms were exquisite and the attention to the lighting in the rooms was wonderful. Each morning when I awoke I felt like Napolean with a wonderful chandelier over my bed and high end period piece furnighings everywhere. Each morning it felt so good to just lie there and take everything in. I had a wonderful maid who brought me breakfast each monring on my patio, and when I was in the room, snacks during the day. She was a treasure and had a wonderful smile. The best! Babylon was also a nice treat. Nice staff, clean environment, and everything a gay man could want to relax: wonderful pool, drinks, food, gym, hot men, and the massages were incredible. I don't believe there is anywhere else like this in the world. It is well worth a visit.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank Rick G
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I absolutely loved Babylon, a little oasis in mad Bangkok. It's very well designed and kept up and the staff are very friendly and attentive.

I stayed in room 706 and luckily I am strong enough to carry my case up one floor because the quirky lift stops and level 6. This room has it's own very large shower and overlooks the pool from the spa next door.

I liked the breakfast - lots to choose from and I love instant coffee.

I can't recommend this hotel enough for anyone staying in Bangkok, although it's a bit out of the way.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank nickswlon
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Again I found this little beauty on Tripadvisor. We stayed for a few nights on the way to Europe and then finished of with a 7 night stay on the way back to Australia. We booked the Botticellin House which is a private Villa with your own butler service. The Suite is amazing and beautifully decked out with antiques. It's located within the grounds of Babylon behind a high gated brick fence and beautiful manicured gardens. The added facilities are world class with large lap pool, sundeck area, full gym, pool bar, sauna, steam rooms etc and even has 2 restuarants within the main complex. The whole complex was so clean and well maintained. Breakfast is up on the 6th floor of the complex and the girls are fantastic and will do you a cooked breakfast each morning exactly how you like it. This property is not downtown, but then taxi's are always available and very cheap. The staff were always attentive and always greeted us with a smile. My travel companion slipped on the wet tiles and his whole toe nail was ripped off. The staff were amazing and quickly rushed him to a clinic. They looked after him and to my surprise paid for all the medical bills. It's an absolute credit to this establishment and the staff that run it. The only problem I had was initially making the booking ... they need to pay more attention to booking requests with a quicker response.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tropic1958
Reviewed 11 January 2009

I am 24 years old from Australia. This was my first overseas holiday and I had come from 3 nights at a very nice hotel in Kuala Lumpur.
I was not prepared for what waiting outside the Bangkok airport and had not taken advantage of the hotel arranging an airport pickup.
My bf and I were in a bit of an agitated state when we finally made it to the hotel but the staff were excellent.
They spoke good english and made us feel very comfortable and welcome.
Through our stay the staff were very helpful, calling taxis for us and making sure we were not overcharged. They suggested some places for us to go during our nights along with some local tips and tricks about certain venues.
The laundry,b ar and restaurant prices were reasonable and the food was lovely.
We had booked a standard 'barrack' room, thinking we would not mind communal showers and toilets (when booking in the comfort of our own home). However coming from the lovely hotel in KL and arriving quite shaken at the hotel, we upgraded to one of the deluxe rooms with private bathroom. The room was LOVELY and quiet, such an oasis from the hectic streets of Bangkok.
I would definitely stay here again, I had no problems of any kind during my stay at this hotel. The staff went out of their way to help us.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple