“Great Stay in Bangkok (Jan 2012)”

D Varee Diva Bally Sukhumvit
Ranked #298 of 884 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We arrived quite late in the evening and were immediately greeted with a friendly welcome and a glass of orange juice. The room was spacious and clean, and the fridge stocked with all kinds of drinks at reasonable prices.
We would recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Bangkok, its in a great location (on the same road as the 'Big Boy' hotels) and is well worth the excellent prices.
AC, hot showers, great views (we stayed on the 7th floor), and a good little cafe downstairs.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie C

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Twin-Room allocated is good enough for the price. This is the first my a six-night stay, and I have visited Bangkok at least 35 times, but have never encountered such an experience, and I seldom have harsh words in reviews. So what took place this evening has prompted otherwise.

I checked in alone at approx 3.30pm and specifically advised Reception that another guest from Cambodia would be arriving in the evening. I even left the guest's name.

By 7.30pm when my room-mate had not arrived, I phoned reception to ask if anyone had called or come by to look for me. She replied "Nobody".

By 8pm I received an email message from my room-mate asking if I had checked in, if I had given her the correct hotel info etc., as she had come by Bally Suites Sukhumvit to enquire. My room-mate (Shirley) specifically spelt my full name, indicated my nationality, ETA etc., and the Receptionist still replied no. I am totally amazed, and wondered what had happened to my record.

Due to this inaccurate information, my friend Shirley had to walk out to the main Sukhumvit area in search of an internet cafe to communicate with me. I again gave her the specifics of the hotel and was shocked that the Receptionist had not given Shirley the correct information. I mean, I am booked for SIX nights ... how could she have missed my name, when it had been spelt out to her by Shirley.

The result is a very tired guest who had to walk out to Sukhumvit main road, and back again. It was a full hour wasted, and it had caused us to miss an appointment.

When Shirley finally arrived, I went down to the Receptionist to ask what had happened. She tried denying that Shirley had come by an hour ago and tried to say that she had just arrived "one minute ago". I flat out asked her to stop making excuses.

At that point she realised she was not going to pull her lie past me, and apologised. I do not accept the apology as I get the impression that the Receptionist had treated Shirley shabbily just because Shirley is timid in nature, was very casually-dressed, and apparently from a less prosperous country.

It leaves me to wonder about the training, or the lack of it, for the Receptionist. I have no complaints about the other staff members (including the doormen), who appear to be more professional.

This is a horrendous first-night experience. I have five more nights' stay and had this not been a pre-paid booking, I would depart tomorrow. I also wonder if the Management intend to follow up, and to apply service recovery for the great inconvenience of lost time, and lost dinner appointment.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank carpediem1605
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed in this hotel in early December for about 2 weeks. This hotel was very comfortable and the rooms are very big. Also included in the room was a decent size refrigerator and a microwave. With taxes the room came out to about $42 a night. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives, but this room was worth the value to me.
The hotel is conveniently located although it is at the end of the street. There is a new mall and cinema about 2km away as well as many bars and restaurants in the area. I believe the hotel provides a shuttle to Sukhumvit road, but I never used it.
I found guest service to be very good. Reception was always nice and accomodating and the door guys are very nice. Finally, the internet speed is very fast and reliable which was much needed since I had some work to do while there.
The only downside to this hotel was the construction going on across the street. If you book a room there and plan to sleep in, try to get a room that is not facing the construction site. Luckily, I had brought ear-plugs.
I definitely would stay at this hotel once again. After staying at other hotels throughout Thailand and Asia, I did not get the same value.

Room Tip: Book a room away from the construction site if you plan to sleep late.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I stayed at Bally's Studio for 5 nights on 5th floor. I really liked the fact that the room hadn't heated up and after return from the city it was possible to rest in the low temperature. The hotel is located quite far from BTS (about 10 minutes walk) but offers (up to 6pm) free tuk-tuk journey to a Sukhumvit Rd. Small rooftop pool on 5th floor but for me it was ok. Good speed of the Internet. Spacious room. One minus: I had 5 separate reservations and some day when I came back from city(it was few hours after hotel check out) receptionist asked us why we are still here and said that we should be checked out. I think that it wasn't nice. They should know for how long their guests stay. Close to 7/11.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I would rate this Hotel as terrible but I will class it as poor....
The reception staff are so rude and uninviting
We stayed the 20th Nov and would not have returned on the 21st if I wasnt feeling so weak after surgery and really didnt have it in me to search for new accomodation
The room service threw out our food we had just brought and the responce was next time put it elsewere...... Ok so no apoligy?
The door man always made us happy he was lovely

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank mrsnz
BALLY-SUKH, Manager at D Varee Diva Bally Sukhumvit, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear Guest (mrsnz),

I would like to apologies for the inconvenience service that you surface. Now I had gave punishment with the housekeeping staff and I promise that the situation like this would not be happen again.