“nice hotel but no personal touch”

Eastin Hotel Makkasan
Ranked #192 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
Telford, England, United Kingdom
“nice hotel but no personal touch”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

like a lot of city based hotels this hotel provides all the necessary essentials but nothing special to make this the holiday to remember. All rooms appear to have either two twin beds or 1 single and are clean and fresh looking. They all have independently controlled air con units (esential for travel in Thailand) andare supplied with complimentary tea/coffee making facility with two free bottles of water daily. the cleaning standard is high with sheets & used towels replaced daily.
the hotel is spread over 28 floors so you don't get that individual service at some smaller hotels. one member of our party faced some confusion over her bill with bar charges in the region of £600 for one g&t but this was soon rectified.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MWH_62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Holland
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We booked a suite in this hotel. If you book a suite, there are some privileges: separate check in, every day fruit in the room, newspaper etc. When we arrived there was a large queue so we waited to be served. There were only two front office members to check in, so that took quite a while. When we checked in we got the key of our room. When we entered the room, we discovered it was not the suite. We went back to the reception and told this. Nobody seemed to be solving this problem. After waiting for another 15 minutes I got a new key, not even an apologize. This room was on floor 15, while we asked for an upper room. With not much pleasure they changed the room for one on floor 30.

The fact I give this hotel 2 out of 5 is because the room was spectacular. A nice view over the city and even sitting in the bathtub you could look over the city and had a view on the Bayoke tower. The room was clean, nicely decorated and the bathroom was also very nice.

However, the service was - in our case - very bad. No fruit on the room, on the second day no newspaper and on the room no wifi internet access. I asked for it and they told me it was only available in the lobby. Well, I tried but you seemed to have a code to access and I didn't had much energy to go get a login code. I think it even was no free internet too.

Also breakfast was not very nice. The range of food was ok, but I had to ask 3 (!) times for a cup of coffee, and that was even around 7 o'clock while it was really quiet. Staff seemed to be disinterested and also at the egg counter, they were just hanging against the wall and don't made an active and friendly impression to me.

Check out was also not very pleasant. First they had to check the minibar. I told them that I didn't use it, but I had to wait for the check. This costed about 10 minutes. Then I lost my patience and told the front desk staff I was leaving, as I did. No question if I had a pleasant stay, nothing.

The hotel is situated in one of the busy parts of Bangkok, not far from the sky train but not a particular interesting part of the city. No much complaints about the location, but no taxi or tuktuk driver knows this hotel, so please take a card from the hotel with you with the Thai address on it.

I won't visit this hotel again. The only reason I like this hotel was because of the room and its view. Service was bad and that in a land like Thailand were most of the people are very nice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We used this hotel in 2009 and it was amazing. Went back there March 2012 and found that the standard of the rooms and breakfast really dropped. It is still a good hotel though. Value for money and centrally located!

Next time when i visit Bangkok i will definitely try another hotel!

Room Tip: The Deluxe Suite is good!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank omidniazi
Pune, India
Reviewed 12 March 2012

It was my first time in Thailand and what an experience it was to stay at the Eastin Hotel Makkasan! On the day of arrival in Bangkok, we were stuck in a massive traffic jam from Pattaya and were already unhappy about losing several hours of our trip. However the great welcome we got at Eastin upon arrival made up for everything.

First interaction at the hotel was with Mr. Somroek Hundee a.k.a. CHAMP at the Concierge desk. As soon as I narrated my traffic story, he ensured that my wife and I cheered up and made sure our check in was quick n easy so that we don't waste too much more time! He also took us through all the places we wanted to visit and recommended some on his own... all neatly done on a Bangkok City Map (which he gave us!). Also, he gave us various discount coupons for shows, clubs, bars & other places which was a nice touch.

We got a room on the 16th floor overseeing the busy roads but what a view it was! The room was lovely with eveything so neatly placed. The bathroom was also fantastic with a neat bath tub and all that you need for your leisurely vacation. The guest name appears on the TV once you put it on! The TV has a nice interactive menu with Pay per view movies, music, internet and email capabilities. Nice though but using a wireless keyboard with an inbuilt mouse (hard to use) is quite boring. It's easier to go down to the lobby and use the free Wi-Fi!

It is very conveniently located with malls like Indra, Pantip Plaza & Platinum are at a quick walking distance of about 10 mins. MBK & Siam are also at a walking distance of about 20-30 mins but with all the heat, it's easier to use a Cab or take the Airport Link train to the next station and then change over to BTS to reach MBK & Siam. Lot of good street food is available in the street next to the hotel. Special mention to the Pork & Chicken BBQ stall at the corner! 7/11 is also right next door so it's easy to pick up daily essentials and a few beers from there.

Although we did not have lunch or dinner at Eastin, the breakfast on all 3 days was simply superb! It's a massive spread with everything you can think of - sausages, eggs, juices, rice, some curries, different breads, bacon, indian food etc. etc. Again the staff in the coffee shop is also very helpful & ever smiling! There are couple of other restaurants & bars in house with the highlight being the Attica Sky Lounge on the 23rd floor. It's a lovely setting for a romantic dinner and is open from 7 pm till 1 am!

Most hotels have great infrastructure, food & ambience but the USP of Eastin is it's staff! They're extremely friendly and always willing to help. The awesome CHAMP leads the way at the Concierge desk with everyone from the bell boys to the Info desk at the ground floor is always smiling and ready to help. In fact I had 2 customer service experiences that were really good - 1) The A/C stopped working properly on the 1st night so I called in the next day to have someone inspect it. I went out for the day however I found out that after coming back in, it wasn't fixed. So I called in again and explained the situation. Someone was sent to the room in 5 mins and first thing he did was apologize to me for not fixing this earlier in the day! I didn't expect that at all! The issue was fixed in 10 mins... 2) I used the electronic safe in the room to keep my passport & cash and locked it using one of my cards. It worked fine on the first 2 days however it refused to open on the night before I was scheduled to leave. I was quite worried as my passport & cash was inside. I called the guest desk and within 5 mins I had someone at the door to open the safe. He opened the safe in no time at all!

Honestly, the pictures on the hotel website do not do justice to the place. The place is huge (31 floors) with a nice looking swimming pool on the 10th floor. I loved the lifts too as they are quick & well lit up (unlike some boring lifts that I've seen before). I would totally recommend this place for anyone who's travelling to Bangkok - let it be business or leisure!

Room Tip: Higher the floor, the better view you get. Some floors are totally non-smoking so choose the right o...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple