“Great location, big rooms, very unfriendly atmosphere.”
Review of Indra Regent Hotel

Indra Regent Hotel
Ranked #298 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have to say firstly that I'm usually a VERY positive person and don't often leave poor reviews for ANYTHING. This hotel, however, was VERY disappointing. I did read extensivley what people had written about the hotel, and also took into account that numerous reviews were by one-time posters, which I therefore generally disregarded. I made an informed, balanced decision to stay here & I made the wrong choice, I'm afraid.

There were certainly positives about the hotel - the location is fabulous for shopping, the rooms are spacious (we were on the 16th floor in what I think was termed a deluxe room), the room was very clean (it did have a musty smell, but we fixed that with some lemongrass room spray), the bathroom was clean and had plenty of counter space, the gym was small but most things worked, the pool area is quite ok, and the biggest plus - the housekeeping staff was LOVELY - friendly, efficient, helpful and flexible. They were seriously great.

It was just SUCH a shame that some of the other staff were unfriendly, bordering on hostile at times. The front desk staff, though not exactly friendly, were efficient and pleasant. The doormen completely ignored our smiles and hello's every day except the day we checked in (when they could get a tip from us) and the day we checked out (when they could get a tip from us) - other than that they didn't even respond to any greetings as we walked in & out numerous times a day. Then on the last day one of the doormen said he couldn't get a 'big taxi' for us and we'd have to use the hotel van at a cost of BHT1400 to go to a hotel nearer the airport. I refused his offer, and as we were speaking a station wagon taxi pulled up & I told him that was what we wanted & he said 'none available later' - I said that was ok, we would take that one right there & we thought he was going to stop the taxi for us, turns out he wanted to make some money from the transaction & came back to say 'ok, BHT1200', I told him, no, we'd use the meter or find another taxi. He then said OK, BHT1000. I again told him no, at which point he spoke again to the taxi driver who agreed to use the meter - which came to BHT240. Very disappointing behaviour.

We also found that although the breakfast staff at the tables were very nice, the lady at the front desk some mornings didn't even look up at us when she asked for our room number & was quite unfriendly. The breakfast was also really not good, I'm not sure why anyone on here would say it was even OK. There was a small amount of fruit, which was nice, but the hot food was pretty much inedible other than the chicken porridge, which was good. They do have a couple of choices of juices plus cold water, tea and coffee. There were no bakery goods at all.

It was fortunate that we continued on to one more hotel before leaving Thailand as it was amazing & we left Thailand feeling great about our holiday. The next time we stay in the Pratunam area we'll choose maybe the Novotel or even a Baiyoke property rather than the Indra Regent. We had taken the breakfast into account in the price, but as it added no value, we really should have stayed elsewhere. Also keep in mind that you need to pay for wifi - and you have to pay cash up front, it can't be put onto your hotel bill, which was both odd and also inconvenient for business travellers. Oh, and if you like a soft bed, this isn't the place for you - their beds are rock hard!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Indra Regent Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2014

excellent location - so many markets all around.....straight across are street markets as well as pratunam markets and night markets to the left....which pretty much go 24 hours a day and in addition the actual indra markets which are attached to the hotel. 5 min walk to Baiyoke tower (highest tower in Thailand with awesome buffet dinner) and very close to MBK & Siam Paragon. before checking in, I requested a high level floor (due to noise concerns) and we were put on the 16th floor - so no noise issues at all. the room was spacious and good value for the price - however the air conditioning was not effective at all and had a very annoying habit of resetting itself to 22 and low, so we constantly had to keep turning it down. WIFI is terrible - overpriced and our room did not even have reception as we were about 5 rooms from the router. I bought 60 mins THB250 and after using 30 mins when I signed back in, it said I had used all of my useage which I did NOT! I went down to reception to complain and 4 of the male receptionists spent about 15 mins looking at my tablet even after I explained exactly what the problem was - they refused to believe me or issue me a new card and said I would have to buy a new card. I refused and then the manager suggested the business centre. if I had known about the business centre to begin with, I would NEVER have purchased the card for WIFI. it is free and the internet is reliable - open from 9.00 am - 6.00 pm every day and you only need to 'like' them on facebook and I used this centre for the rest of the trip. there is a mcdonalds in the foyer....some people have bagged on this, but we thought it was great....especially when you are craving western food...cheap and quick and great for breakfast. the daily breakfast at the indra is cheaper if pre-paid beforehand but we were offered a deal THB380 pp / per breakfast. the selection was OK - not as good as other asia hotels we stayed in and we didn't have it every day as it was repetitive and the same choice every day and they seemed to always be running out of (and not replacing) the popular choice breakfast items. the male receptionists were not very helpful and their English was quite shocking considering they are dealing with tourists on a constant basis - they would act like they couldn't understand when you ask a difficult question which was very frustrating or would hang up when you were talking to them on the phone. The BEST, most helpful receptionist was the only female working on check-in. she was so nice and went above and beyond for us on many occasions - extremely friendly and excellent English! the house maids were also very friendly and helpful and had better English than the male reception staff....overall clean, tidy hotel in the best location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jayjay1974
Reviewed 16 August 2014

we stayed here from the 2001 till 2013 never had a issue, while we stay there from the 25 th - 29th July 2014 we had a real bad experience.

we checked into the hotel at 12.30pm on the 25 July there was a huge noise of breaking concrete on the top floor we didn't complain as we left the hotel for shopping. we came back to hotel at 7.00pm when we switched on the light there were small bugs coming out from furniture and the desk(at least 30 bugs). my wife freaked out and we demand a room change. ( we were in 6th floor)

they gave another room from the same floor. as we went in there were bugs in that room too!! the room boy tried to kill few of them with his hand. we said we cant stay in this floor. they move us up to 11th floor.

around mid night the room temperature when up say around 30c i was awaken we could smell burning wire!! (from the AC) we called operator complained. a maintenance guy came he checked the ac and said something to the another who came up to the room. yes another room change they moved us to room 1111.

we stayed in this OK room till we departed. but on that room the bed was broken after i returned i got a huge back plain, what a bad experience!!!

for that price or bit more we could have stayed at Ammri watergate or Novatel we stayed there because we love the place unfortunately this would be the last time.

my advise to the owners spend some money to renovate the hotel!!

Room Tip: don't stay in the 6th floor unless you love bugs
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sirikkattuge f
UdomIRH, General Manager at Indra Regent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear sirikkattuge f,
Thank you for your sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, your feedback is important to us.
Your comments regarding bugs have been addressed with our pest control company to improve their performance. The mentioned rooms were immediately closed and fumigated after your departure.
We have corrected the flaws of the other rooms mentioned and are pleased to announce guestroom renovation is commencing soon.
Thanks again for your stay at our hotel and we do apologize sincerely for the overall experience.
Sincerely Yours,
Udom V.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Thai Air accommodated us here for 1 x night at their cost after they changed our flight departure. We've stayed before. As many others have commented, it's in need of a makeover but it is still clean and tidy and very comfortable. They serve a very good buffet breakfast (included in the tariff) and the hotel is located in a very handy position for shopping and restaurants. It has a very good swimming pool and was all that we wanted for an overnight stay. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Thanks Indra.

Room Tip: Away from the lifts best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2014

If you want markets and bartering this is a great place but I am over that as the stuff falls apart within a few weeks of getting home. Go to MBK Shop Centre. Great food area on top floor.
Cheaper than 2 rooms so we got family suite. WiFi you have to pay for as Maccas beside not allowed to have wifi free. We had problems with the keys every day and got very frustrating. Either the suite front door, lift or room door wouldn't work. They would fix one key and then one of the others wouldn't 4th day we got it right.
Had to hang around waiting on check out while the room was checked physically by staff.
This place Much better than last which turned out to be near red light district. Shame Google Maps don't show those areas for families to be aware of.

Room Tip: Family Suite was cheaper than 2 double rooms and better I believe.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends