All reviews sanam luang old wing khao san hotel lobby late at night chinatown
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Booked this hotel for one night before flying back to Blighty.was a bit apprehensive as so cheap-£31-and thought I would get hassle off wife.But very pleasantly surprised.Would book again when next come to Thailand.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2017

Royal Rattanakosin Hotel

I was really disappointed in this hotel. It said it was a 4 star hotel and I wouldn't even give it a 3. There were some newer rooms it looked like, but I was put in the old section. My room said it would have a view and all I had was a small window with bars on it with a view of construction. The construction noise went on till nearly midnight. Just outside my door on the 2nd floor a lady sat at a desk where the phone rang every 5 minutes. The room wasn't clean and the bedding was worse. I didn't even want to take a shower in the little bathroom with the tiny tub. The carpet was indoor out door carpeting from the 50's. The fridge in the room was barely cold. There were numerous areas of the hotel that needed repair, see pictures. I went into the bar/lounge and wanted to sit in a chair near an electric outlet so I could charge my phone, but they wouldn't let me sit there. i noticed a lot of the electric outlets had duct tape over them so that no one could use them.

The staff in the hotel was anything but helpful. I asked them how to make a call to the US, and they were not able to help me. At one point the man behind the desk said something to me, I'm not sure I heard right, I thought he said "Go back to America" the gal behind the desk started laughing so hard she had to leave the room. I asked the man to repeat what he said, but he didn't. I finally managed to get a call through to the US that night to Expedia to complain. The man from expedia said he tried to call the front desk numerous times and no one answered. I went right down to the front desk to see if anyone was there, it was late. There were 4 people sitting there. I told them that expedia called and no one answered they just acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.

I managed to get a few hours of sleep. I went down to breakfast, there was a lot of stuff there, but nothing that I felt I could eat. "wonderbread" So I just checked out and left with no shower and had breakfast at another hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

It was very disappointing in this otherwise comfortable hotel that they have been unable or unwilling to deal with a double booking in my name. Prior to arriving on Oct 8 I had been alerted that somehow I had a double booking at the hotel when I only needed one room. They could not help me on the phone. When I arrived they still wouldn’t help me. Their attitude was there was nothing they could do. I have tried to get through to their corporate management. No luck anywhere. I am due to return to the hotel Oct 28. Will keep trying. I am certain I did not make this error. Impossible to understand why they can’t engage with me.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Suzanna47
Reviewed 22 October 2017

I really like the Rattanakosin Hotel, it used to be called the Royal Hotel, and it is actually a place that is notable in the history of modern Thailand. Firstly, it is in a very convenient area for many attractions, like the Grand Palace, Wat Po, the National Museum, the Golden Mount temple, the water taxis and tourist boats on the river, and the famous Khao San Road. All these are within walking distance of the hotel. There have been recent renovations to parts of the hotel, so rooms are located in both the "old" and the "new" areas. I am not sure if the prices differ, but the cost of staying here is very reasonable, and the quality is far superior to what you could expect in the backpacker area of Khao San Road. Having stayed here several times, I had comfortable rooms in various places and with different kinds of views - looking inwards to the courtyard area with the swimming pool; looking out over the main street, and looking in the direction of the river (which couldn't be seen from this location) and which offered a beautiful sunset. I never had any problem with noise, even though the area outside is noisy. The hotel has a Chinese restaurant and a late-night coffee-shop/cafe but the only meal I had there was breakfast, which was good quality, with varieties of fresh fruits as well as Western and Asian offerings. The only thing I didn't like was that the dining room staff were so efficient that when I went to get more coffee or fruit, I returned to my table only to find it had been completely cleaned. This annoyed me. Otherwise, I have no complaints about Rattanakosin, and I cannot understand some of the bad comments I read on this page, from people who come to Thailand expecting everything to be just like home. The hotel is old and historical, excellent value, safe and conveniently located. Reception staff are professional and will do their best to assist with what you need. It's my first choice in this part of the city.

Room Tip: If you ask, the reception will try to help you.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

All conveniences at this big and old fashioned hotel. Very good Thai and western breakfasts in large dining area. It all feels a bit old world, but mostly in a nice way. The swimming pool is a bonus on sultry days. Close to Temple and palace areas, lots of interesting walks in the vicinity.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends