“Roach infested rooms, but aside from that, nice”

The Duchess Hotel and Residences
Ranked #247 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Hong Kong
“Roach infested rooms, but aside from that, nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

The room is huge! And nicely decorated. It has a kitchen, living room, and the bedroom is huge. We got the 45 sqm room. The bathroom has a shower and tub. However, since we forgot to bring toothpaste, I started opening the drawers to look for the amenities, and found roaches instead. German cockroach is the term, I believe. The really small ones. They were everywhere! In both the bedroom and kitchen. When we called the staff they apologized and offered to spray the room for us. We didn't want this during our stay as we didn't like to breathe in the chemicals. When we left, we told the receptionist and she simply said, "sorry".

The location was average. During our previous stays in Bangkok, we always stayed along the main road where all the malls are (sukhumvit?), and in our future stays, we would prefer to stay there for short stays to maximize time and save us from the hassle of transport. The taxis in Bangkok are a ripoff. They don't use the meter. If they do use the meter, they would bring you around in circles. If they were more organized, like say, Singapore, then the location would not be a big deal.

The breakfast is terrible. I've tried some of the other hotels' breakfasts and have a really great impression of Bangkok's breakfast. Not here.

Room Tip: My old room (which was roach infested) was on the 16th floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank maganda88
ChuckyBangkok, General Manager at The Duchess Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear Writer of the Review dated
Thank you for views and experiences at Natural Ville.
We certainly so appreciate all points of view, especially when we do not live up to our guest's expectations. We do on a daily basis insure that our rooms and facilities are always in top form.
On this particular occasion we have failed and have absolutely no excuse for the insects in the room. We have taken immediate action to have that paticular floor fumigated together with our pest controll company. Thank you for all the other positive comments. On Breakfast I have to politely dis-agree with your comments as we do serve one of the best European breakfasts in Bangkok. We certainly do not have a large buffet like other 4 and 5 star hotels, but have highest quality European products. Our location too cannot be matched, this however is a matter of opinion of each person. In all fairness I believe customers should bring matters to the attention of the management whenever they have any complaints while they are in the hotel and should they still not be satisfied then write a positive or negative review. Kind regards. Charles Wrightman. General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

Staff
• Not very helpful or informative over the phone
• The bellboy get off work at 11 pm, if you plan to arrive at night, you will have to carry your own bag
Facilities
• Limited car park
• Wifi in one bedroom suite is excellent, you do not have to fight for the signal
Location
• Locate in the heart of Bangkok with a few minute walk to BTS station
• Plenty of taxi on the front road
• Convenient store is just 5 minutes walk
Room
• Furniture is a bit dated with scratches and marks
• No bathrobe and slipper
• In-room entertainment system is alright … two LCD television with DVD player that allows USB plug in
• Ask for toothbrush from front desk as they are not provided in room

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank nina r
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I choose this hotel because of its location and it definitely was conveniently located, about 5 minutes from 2 BTS stations, lots of good restaurants and shopping.

However that is where the positive points end.

Reception was O.K. but not too friendly and no one took me to the room.

When I entered the room it smelled terribly of cigarette smoke. I called reception and they said the entire hotel was smoking.

The room is old, there are cracks on the walls that have not been repaired and stains on the furniture. A lot of the wooden surfaces are chipped.

No LCD TV, only 2 very old models. There was good channel selection with 3 movie channels and news.

The bathroom was somewhat modern but the sink is much too low and the shower head kept falling off. The tub is large.

The pillows were not comfy and there is no pillow menu. The bed was quite hard.

The big problem is all night long there is some kind of bird that calls out. It is extremely annoying as just when you get to sleep it wakes you up.

Breakfast was poor. The orange juice was sugared tang, no yogurt or soy milk options. With 30% of the world lactose intolerant it would seem normal to have an option. When I spoke to the restaurant manager she informed me that they did not carry any of these things but I could buy some yogurt from her! She did offer to buy the things for me the following day. However the following day the staff had no idea what I was talking about. Eventually she arrived and sorted it out.

I asked to have my room changed but was told that it was not possible. I then asked to talk to the general manager. Eventually he showed up. I explained all of the above points and he rudely told me that the hotel operated at 97% occupancy and there was no way I could change my room. I spoke about the bird and he said he was fully aware of it but that was the natural sounds of Thailand so too bad. I spoke about the breakfast and he said that they did not carry and would not carry and of the items I asked for. He made it very clear that he would be happy if I left. Amazing. If they do operate at that high occupancy I would think it is not due to returning guests.

I did leave and went to the hotel across the street, a Marriott, and was very pleased with the service and room. It was a little more expensive but it was worth every penny to get a quiet room, decent breakfast and very helpful staff!

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank nonoiseplease
ChuckyBangkok, General Manager at The Duchess Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, 23 December 2011
As I was personally involved with the complaints of this customer, I feel that the review is not fair. We do have one of the best breakfasts in town that is catered by Lenotre the leader in confectionary in the world. Yes we do not have a pillow menu. We do have three choices of Fresh juices and yoghurt available everyday. With regards to the sounds of the birds in the early hours of the morning, I did reccommend to the customer that I would be more than happy to move him to a five star hotel next door that is an affiliate hotel at no additional costs as a gesture of goodwill as there was absolutely nothing that could be done to stop the natural calls of the birds. My manager also personally bought some non-sugared products for the customer. The customer tried to extend his stay but could not as we were running a full house. This may have compounded his discontent.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed for 2 nights on the 4th and 5th of November in a 1 bedroom apartment on 19th floor at a rate of 3000THB/night inclusive of a nice breakfast.

Location:
To start with I shall let you know that the locality and surrounding is very decent, semi residential area with restaurants and two 7-11s, but it is some solid 15 mins walk from chit lom BTS station. I chose this location as it was far from the noise and bars/nightlife n a peaceful area and is in vicinity of BTS station.

Rooms and hotel overall:
-What it lacks in closeness to BTS station, it more than makes up for it in the decor and tasteful lighting in the hotel and the rooms. The long walks back from BTS were always worth it when you return to a beautiful apartment. They are very spacious and luxuriously decorated with all the amenities one can imagine in an apartment.
- there are 2 LCD TVs, 1 in the lounge and the other in the bedroom.
- Lounge sofas were very soft and comfy, though the bed was a bit hard for my wife but ok for me.
- The kitchenette is stacked with all the things you can imagine, crockery/plates, glasses (both wine and normal), pots, utensils etc. A rice cooker, tea kettle, microwave, tea/sugar etc.
- Very Spacious bathroom with glass partitioned shower area and separate bath tub. All bathroom amenities are available and are replaced daily
- Good breakfast with variety of pastries (danish etc) and croissants, fruits, and other dishes. Breakfast is from 7:30 to 10:30 but usually extends till 11:00

Staff and service:
- The staff is very helpful. The doorman is nice and guides you to the locations to see in bangkok.
- Whenever you need something just call from your apartment and they will come back to you in either case, but the effort is there to fulfill the customer's needs.
- We called for slippers and got them in less than 10 mins.
- Daily housekeeping is amazing as in addition to cleaning, all bathroom and kitchen amenities are refilled and even the dirty dishes are washed and stacked properly in the cupboards. a true serviced apartment.
- Staff always tries to accomodate all your requests

In short you can't go wrong with this hotel, I wish I could have such an apartment where I live. I would certainly stay here again!

Go for it and live like Kings in Bangkok. Laze away the day in your apartment watching movies if the weather outside is not favorable.

Room Tip: Go for it and live like Kings in Bangkok. All apartments are amazing and truly serviced apartments...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Besanc0n
Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

Stayed here many times 4-5 years ago and it was very good.
On latest stay - no parking spaces for guests - leaking shower - they forgot to clean my room ! - -curtains did not keep out the light and reception was rude and clearly not bothered about guests.
There are many good serviced apartments close to here and Center Point has just had a nice refurb for the same money,
Overall a real shame as it was very good in days gone by.

Room Tip: Stay at Center point or Marriott Mayfair next door
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business