“Is the Oriental changing??”
Review of The Verandah

The Verandah
Reserve with Chope
The Verandah is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #161 of 12,395 Restaurants in Bangkok
Price range: US$18 - US$60
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Featuring a wide variety of Asian and Western dishes, The Verandah elevates all-day dining to a new level. Served either indoors or outdoors overlooking the river, our à la carte menu offers fabulous dishes for any time of the day from breakfast through to late evening snacks. In addition, we also offer a wide selection of freshly baked pastries and homemade ice cream.
Reviewed 11 November 2008

I have stayed at the Oriental some ten or so times and I love it. There is a special feel about this place that is hard to find elsewhere. And yet on my most recent stay (October 2008) I had the feeling that something was changing about the hotel. Somehow the level of service was not quite what it had been in the past, the food was not quite as good and there was a "je ne sais quoi" about the whole experience which worried me. I later heard from a Thai friend who is a stockholder in the hotel that it is (or has?) changing its name from the Oriental to the Mandarin-Oriental. She feels, and I agree, that this would be a big mistake. So is this part of what I felt?
We left the hotel this time with an impression that it is getting very over-priced for what it offers. Our room rate included the buffet breakfast on the terrace. This was fantastic in the past but they have re-worked the kitchen and there seemed to be far less on offer than before. Their dinner cruise on the river, for example,costs around $70 per person. The evening was nice and the food OK but not wonderful, and there was very little information offered on what we were seeing. The following week we joined a group of friends on another dinner boat, at $35 or so per person, and the food on that boat (Loy Nava) was really terrific, the "tour" information on the sights we were passing fantastic and as a result we had a great evening.
Perhaps all this is a passing phase and things will come back to normal at the Oriental but if they don't I wouldn't want to spend all that money ($550/night or so) to stay there again. That would be sad.

5  Thank Hambagahle

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Sala Rim Naam - The set dinner menu was alright. But what I really like about the restaurant is the 'thai' ambience and the cultural performance. The prices are very ex++ though.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 9 June 2008

amazing food on an amazing spot, view over the river. Best meals in Thailand, and not so expensive considering the quality of the hotel...

2  Thank Charles B
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Love it always very good

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Vevey, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 May 2008

Don'tmiss this: Lord Jim's, Sala Rim Naam, and Le Normandie!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook