“Design gone haywire”

Ranked #659 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Basel, Switzerland
“Design gone haywire”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

This hotel must have been designed by a novice. I got an upgrade and the room was ok but really not much more. I hated that weird sauna look (light panelling in fashion in the 80s) but I could have taken that if the lighting had been better. The bedlights were attached far too high making the whole room look cheap, which is a shame because I am quite sure that it was not.

The bathroom was another thing: I had a bathtub which could have fit five but it was installed in such a way that the room cleaner had a really hard time getting to the grout. The shower was practically inexistent as you were supposed to take a bath -- guys: it's Bangkok not Helsinki!!! I want to take a real shower not soak in a bath, for god's sake!
The taps were a safety hazard as you didn't know which way to turn and in the three days I stayed I regularly scalded myself. For some bizarre reason there was a window onto the room, which makes me think that the original thought of this hotel was soemthing quite different than what it is: a hotel for run-of-the-mill tourists, not the sex-crazed types as far as I could tell.

The breakfast buffet was huge but the Western part was really not up to snuff: the fruit was really not great (come on, you are in a country that produces fruit!!!), the juice was Tang and the bread some dreadful whitebread concoction that I haven't seen since 1986 (ditto Tang). The Thai breakfast seemed better but since I don't eat that for breakfast, i had to make do with this. Really a bit of a disappointment. There is a restaurant but i didn't want to waste my limited time if the breakfast bufet was anything to go by.

On the upside: literally next to BTS Skytrain which makes for a quick getaway and the rooftop pool is cute and clean. The staff is quite nice and do their best but this hotel should be in line for an overhaul soon. And the mattress was great.

The area is unfortunately very quiet and really business-like and you really have to hunt for a place to eat if you go out a bit lateish in the evening. But for early evenings, you can go to Dean & Deluca (probably a better idea re breakfast but I had booked incluisve and did not want to waste time going across the street which is close but far in bangkok).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

Upon arrival we were met with sheets stained with semen. When new sheets were requested, the front desk informed us it would take 1 hour. With the help of my wife, who is Thai, we finally got new sheets; however, they were caked with dried blood. As much as we wanted to check-out, we had over 5 families staying at the same hotel so managed to muster up the patience to stay at the hotel. However, tonight, Christmas night, is the last straw. We came back to our room to find that the water had been turned off and even worse we noticed bites all over our bodies, checked the bed and what did we find? BED BUGS!!!!!! Do yourself a favor do not stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Really999

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

Hello,

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel between 14-21 November 2010. We stayed at B building. As for the area, hotel has a good location, walking distance to patpong night bazaar ( app. 1,5 km ) and skytrain. No need to take any Tuk Tuk for these locations. In the first floor of B building there is a restaurant which smells really intense, if you are not OK with Thai spice smells, it can be a nightmare until you get in the building. Inside, rooms are really clean, and everyday made up. There is nothing to say for it. During our stay, a construction was continuing in front of our window. It can be annoying if you plan to stay in the room after 9:00am since the labourers talk high in volume and you know that they are just in front of the curtain :) And the small guest in room 212 ( a small lizard in the toilet ) showed itself sometimes :) As for the staff, except one guy who was always checking his facebook while answering our questions, it was ok. Internet free in every room so that is good also.

To sum up, besides its cleanliness i cannot fully recommend this hotel but this is what you get for the money you pay ;)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank syavuz
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

I stayed here with my boyfriend for only 2 nights, as a stopover from Chiang Mai back to LHR. We wanted somewhere reasonably cheap, clean and close to Silom Road where we had stayed the previous week (at the LeBua). From the pictures and the reviews, the hotel looked boutique style, chic and ticked our requirements. The hotel did fall down in some areas though. As many other people mentionned, the breakfast is quite poor. You are given a reasonable selection, but when we went for breakfast at 9am (breakfast finished at 10.30am) lots of the choices were gone and not replenished. There was cereal, juice, bread, croissants, hot noodles, rice, eggs, sausages, bacon, fruit salad, salad, so it wasnt a bad choice. It just didnt look very fresh or appetising. The breakfast staff ignored you. There wasnt really any service. The rooms are nicely decorated but it was quite apparent that the refurb was hastily done, the rooms looked a little tired. Some reviewers said "shabby chic" but I think their idea of slick modern design turned out to be modern but tired and in need of TLC. We asked the hotel to book a taxi for us to the airport and the response was a mere, "yes, you can hail a taxi yourself from outside". Not quite what I was happy with. They did hail a taxi for us in the end and the taxi driver had his meter on and later charged us a high fixed price. Not very honest of the taxi driver and not a reflection of the hotel, but I assume that any taxis hailed by hotels should give tourists a sense of trust.
Overall, the hotel is good for the savvy lone traveller who needs a clean, cheap bed/ accom in Bangkok, the location on Silom Road is very convenient.. Its a step up from a dirty little B&B but not quite meeting the standards of a real hotel. In fact, I dont think the Heritage Baan is classed as a hotel as it doesnt provide 24 Room service. (to be classed as a hotel, you need to provide 24 room service). Not very romantic for couples. It fails here as boutique chic because there is nothing that the hotel does 100% well, the service by the staff is a great let down.
If you do book here, then make sure you ask for a room in the main hotel. We had a room that faced the main road and courtyard in the annexe and the traffic noise at night we horrendous.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank london_saver
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

Me and my wife stayed in this hotel in August for 5 days on our way to Singapore. The hotel exterior has a lovely colonial style architecture, the situation of the hotel is very clean compare to sukhumvit, the staff is very friendly and helpfull. Inside of the hotel is very nice and different, arty kind of feel. We paid £85 for 4 nights. We be happy to go back to this hotel, the only downside is the breakfast is not nice. But for us is not a problem we just had coffe and toast. There is no lift.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple