“Great service and an overabundance of good food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mitsui

Mitsui
Ranked #195 of 12,506 Restaurants in Taipei
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Taipei, Taiwan
“Great service and an overabundance of good food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Went to Mitsui for our company's annual dinner. Had a great meal of about 8 courses, largely based around various forms of seafood and sushi. The courses were thoughtfully timed so that diners didn't feel rushed and the food didn't come out cold or overcooked. The service did an excellent job of subtly pacing the meal. Standout dishes included steamed scallops, sashimi and a kobe beef dish with candied onions.

This restaurant would be a great place to take a date or clients. The atmosphere is urban chic, but the space is large and welcoming. The patient, attentive service is the best I have seen in Taiwan.

• Visited December 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Scottsdale, Arizona
“OISHII ( DELICIOUS )”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

We dined at the Mitsui on Nong An St. (original), but there are many other locations. Atmosphere is warm and inviting. Good for couples, parties, and business diners.They have private rooms for larger parties.
The eight course omakase started with very fresh sashimi, follow by a seafood salad with a ponzu dressing. Nice and light. The juicy oyster was served alongside a ponzu sause and the Wagyu steak was cooked over a habachi grill, at the table. This was followed by the crab legs and a plate of lightly fried fish. A light clam soup was served with a 1/2 dozen clams. Last, a scoop of green tea ice cream with fruit. Presentation was a work of art! Husband is from Japan, and claims food is just as good.
You don't have to worry about cleanliness here. It was almost closing time,so the servers asked if it was alright for them to start cleaning. It was fine by us.They would covered the dishes and glasses on the shelves with a cloth, and literally start wiping down all the hard to get places. Even the sushi chefs were doing a detail cleaning.
Service is very friendly and attentive. Do make reservation weeks in advance. Pricy, but well worth it. Not your usual small omakase size dishes. Leave with a healthy full. Love to return!

• Visited November 2011
Hong Kong, China
“high level Japanese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

Must try the Hokkaido hair crab and king crab, they actually have fresh crabs inside the restaurant. Other sashimi is not very outstanding.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank CLau888
Huntington Beach, California
“always a good meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

I've been to 2 different Mitsui, one on NonAn road another by DaChi, they both are fine restaurant where you know if you bring guests, they will be happy.

large pc of king crab leg on the salad~ it was fresh and refreshing!
course upon course.... I'm usually stuffed when i leave, but you don't feel guilty because it's not heavy.
Wait staff are very attentive too. I always have guest who has special needs and if let them know ahead of time, they will make sure our guest is well taken care of. You don't have to remind them. That makes the dining experience pleasant!

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank dry_surfing
San Francisco
“Average food, service issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I am writing about the Mitsui on Dun-Hwa South Rd Section 1 No. 108. This restaurant is beautiful, no doubt. We had heard from many people that this restaurant serves some of the best Japanese food in Taipei, so we selected it for a big family dinner (15 people) the evening of Taiwan Valentines Day. They put is in a private room that had very little of the wonderful ambiance that the restaurant itself has. We ordered the mid-level set menu (there was one lower priced and one higher priced). The food was good but it was not nearly as refined as I had assumed given all the raves. I've lived in Japan extensively so I know Japanese food well. The tastes at Mitsui are heavier, saltier, and just not as clean as what you'd expect from a gourmet Japanese restaurant of this caliber. The meal started with a salad that had what appeared to be a small abalone on top. Nice presentation, but the salad was composed of iceberg lettuce, which I thought was a really strange choice. The dressing was ok. Next was tuna and salmon sashimi. Again, beautiful presentation in a big ceramic bowl full of ice. The sashimi was good--not amazing--although it was beautifully chilled because it was resting on ice. Next was a deep fried soft shell crab with pumpkin sauce. Pretty good, although the pumpkin sauce was quite bland and didn't add much to the dish. Next were several slices of very rare beef. Done to the right pinkness, but the cut itself was not a great cut so there were some ligament/chewiness issues. We also had a nice morsel of roasted sea bass which was delicious, as well as a bowl of soup (very average) and melon and a mini red bean pancake for dessert (very average).

The most bizarre part was the wine situation. I ordered a bottle of nice French Tattinger champagne to start. They came back 20 minutes later to tell me they were sold out. I then switched to Veuve. Next we attempted to order a bottle of French white wine. They came back 20 minutes later to let me know that they didn't have any of this wine chilled, so would I mind waiting while they put it on ice to chill it. I knew that (1) this would take a long time, and (b) even if they did it, it wouldn't be sufficiently chilled. I asked what they did have chilled. Of the 20+ white wines on the list, the only thing they had chilled was the Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc. As it is a perfectly decent bottle of white, we ordered it. When we tried to get another bottle, they informed us that they didn't have another one chilled. I then asked what they had chilled. This time it was a Pouilly Fuisse. So we took that.

I can't figure out why--esp on Valentines Day, they wouldn't be stocked-up on wine and also remember to chill it. That was very strange for me. The service itself was fine--nothing special and maybe it was because we were a big party, but we must have had at least 9 different servers come in. They all wear the same thing so it was impossible to tell who we could actually order from vs. who was just serving.

I loved the atmosphere and would probably go back to this Mitsui or another just to see if it's different on a less busy night with a smaller party. But I could tell from the food that this is nothing like real kaiseki/omakase that you're going to get in Kyoto. As long as you adjust expectations accordingly, you should be happy with your meal.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank Mae O

Been to Mitsui? Share your experiences!