“Luxurious hotel in a great neighbourhood”

Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei
Ranked #19 of 583 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 21 September 2017

I rarely stay at the Shang but this time travel compulsions had me at the Shang in Taipei. This is a lovely property with great staff in a very cool neighborhood.

The rooms are very conformable and spacious enough for a couple. The toilet and bath area is quite big too with a nice big bath tub. The hotel provides some very nice amenities in the form of toiletries etc. which were clearly branded and expensive.

Hotel has a nice and big gymnasium with all sorts of workout equipment's and trainers etc if you need any.

The pool was a disappointment. The reception informed me that there were two pools, one on level 6 and one on the rooftop. When I went to level 6 I was informed that the pool on level 6 was closed. The rooftop pool is quite stunning with lovely city views etc. but the pool itself is not very suitable for laps. On the roof I realized that the shape of the building tower is cylindrical, making the rooftop circular, and hence the pool is very odd shaped, like a chinese fan unfurled. Imagine a Jacuzzi at the grip of the fan and as you move out towards the curved edge, the pool becomes deeper. In short, there is space for only two or maximum three swimmer to do actual laps and the rest can simply soak in the pool and enjoy the views. Pool is particularly crowded in the morning between 630-730 AM. In the evening after 630 PM I found it practically empty on the days I visited. So plan your swims in the evening if you want some exercise.

The ambiance all over the hotel has been created with great taste and detail. Oriental art, pottery, vases, urns etc are placed beautifully all over the hotel. Each exhibit has a plaque detailing the period, style etc, of the exhibit displayed. Take the time to read, since it provided me some great insights into the cultural heritage of the region.

The neighborhood around the hotel is lovely. Just down the road there are two great SPA's (Royal Massage) and (Villa Like). I tried the 'Royal Massage' and it was heavenly, clean, great service and very reasonable priced. Locals recommended it too and they were not wrong. All around you there are small restaurants and bars making this a great neighborhood to stroll around and pick from a variety of food and drink options.

I did not eat any meals at the hotel and hence will not be able to comment on the food. I am sure though that the food will be great.

All in all a great location and a great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Kishore M
Management response:Responded 25 September 2017

Dear Kishore M,

We thank you very much for taking the trouble rated and commented us online after your recent visit. Your various findings and feedback will act as a source of further improvement and encouragement to those team members, we appreciate so much on your constructive comments.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Emil Leung

Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Pro n con at same time : there is direct airport bus to hotel to save hassle, but on other hand , hotel is far away from the 2 nearest subway stations which are 10 minutes away (Liuzhangli on yellow line) and 15 mins (Xinyi Anhe on red line ). It is quite a bit of walking especially under the hot summer sun in August .
The room design is weird - bedside tables do not have drawers and there is no proper wardrobe . The wardrobe is 2 L-shaped sliding doors pulled together , which is best left open than closed ( takes up space when closed). I don't know if all rooms are like that but mine is like this.
There is a wet market selling just about everything from food to clothes just across the street ( partially hidden by a small indoor parking lot ) We enjoyed fresh fruit juice especially sugar cane juice on its own or mixed with lime or other fruits for your picking . Be there early cos it closes for the day after 12 noon or so.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 14 September 2017

Dear J2870QKangelah,

We thank you for taking the time to leave a tripadvisor review commenting after your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your various feedback and for showing your support to the property.

On behalf of all our teams and colleagues, we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home" when in Taipei.

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

In the 5-Star hotel rating, it's pretty hard to stand out because usually standards among the chains are always pretty high. That said, I will say that the Far Eastern Plaza hotel DOES manage to amaze me when it comes to Service and hospitality. I've been to all the hotels in Taipei and this one is clearly the best.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 14 September 2017

Dear DHChicago,

We sincerely thank you for your kind feedback and good words. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to the pleasure of having you back to Taipei in the near future.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I stayed for 4 nights while on business in Taipei. I arranged their pickup from the airport and it was fantastic. Nice car and driver, and was met at the hotel door by name. Check-in was in my room (via tablet) and nothing was too much trouble. I realise it is not the cheapest hotel in Taipei, but I can honestly say you get what you pay for at this hotel. Probably the best hotel experience I have every had. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Management response:Responded 12 September 2017

Dear Stuart P,

We thank you very much for the kind feedback and comments received online which can assist us maintaining and improving service standards and upgrading facilities at all times.

We do hope that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

i booked this hotel so my baby can enjoy the rooftop pool, they did not inform me before checkin or upon checkin that the pool was under renovation, then at breakfast there a waitress that keeps bugging me that my breakfast was not included, i booked a family package and a premier room at that, called front desk and also was told that breakfast was not included, i asked for a manager that i can talk to, and front desk said that theres no manager for that day, i've stayed in many shangrila hotel and this is by far the worst

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank applegiovan
Management response:Responded 10 September 2017

Dear applegiovan,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing of less than satisfactory experience on your recent stay. Upon receipt of your comments, we have immediately investigated this should be avoided incident and realized that this benefit was incidentally not shown on the profile therefore this inconvenience created.

Again, our sincere apologies, we do hope that this will not deter you from coming back to Taipei and we look forward to the opportunity of serving you once again at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel, Taipei.

Best regards,