“Excellent momo making class”
Review of Backstreet Academy

Backstreet Academy
Ranked #1 of 69 Shopping in Kathmandu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore Nepali culture through our exclusive collection of travel experiences - carve a wooden mask, cook momos or learn pottery, the backstreets offer the richest interaction with the culture and people of a place. Immerse yourself in the de facto Nepali experience where the local backdrop retains its integrity and originality and discover a side of the city you never knew, available only through the forgotten backstreets. Backstreet Academy works with many competent yet struggling craftsmen with whom we structure a course together to teach the world about their traditional craft. Be it at their home or their workshops, we offer our guests access to a 'behind the scenes' experience that is often overlooked. This is the real local, the real Nepal, the real experience. And as you discover the backstreets, we will pair you with a facilitator who will help you translate and make sure you have a great time while making an impact. Courses available include: - Mask Carving - Stone carving - Momo Cooking Class - Dal Bhat Cooking Class - Pottery - Kite Making - Jute Bag Making - Sari Wearing - Paper Lantern Making Our other cities include: Phnom Penh | Siem Reap | Pokhara | Luang Prabang | Vientiane
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

A really enjoyable few hours spent in Kathmandu. We booked this for our last day after eating and loving momos so much, and it was so interesting and a very well run class. The guide was professional and extremely helpful with translation, while the family doing the class were so welcoming and funny. All the preparation and making was done by us with help from the master - very hands on and we felt fully involved. At the end the momos we made were delicious and everyone sat around chatting and the son of the family played music on his wooden flute. It was such a lovely class, thank you so much to everyone involved in it!

All reviews
"fear factor"
"breakfast food"
"dipping sauce"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"booked this tour"
"local experience"
"learn something"

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I signed up for the upcycle, turn a rice bag into a handbag session and it was great. My guide, Abishek Singh, took me to our facilitator Tara. He served as a translator, but also was a part of the conversation too. Making the bag was awesome (don’t worry, you don’t need actual sewing skills, because you will be helped as much as needed), by even better was meeting these two. I enjoyed learning more about them and Nepali life and culture and sharing about my own culture. Backstreet experiences are awesome for this reason. We still had some time leftover, so after leaving Tara’s home Abishek took me around some local sites on our way back to the drop off. I highly recommend him as a host - he’s SO knowledgeable about all things Nepali and the world in general. Conversation flowed so easily and was really engaging.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

I did the Breakfast Food Tour, which is a great if you are new to town and want to try local breakfast food. Everything we ate was yummy, and you’ll be full for the rest of the day! An added bonus is learning about the history of the city and culture as you go. I highly recommend!

My host was Abhishek, who was wonderful. He has so much passion, heart and respect in guiding his tours. He made me feel like a friend from the start and I learned so much in the short time we were together. Thank you Abhishek!

1  Thank audrey i
Reviewed 5 March 2018

We learned how to make momo's! It was a wonderful experience at a great families home and with a great guide. We already successfully made some at home!

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 February 2018

My friend and I did the Stone Carving Workshop through Backstreet Academy. We'd never done something like this before and our host Hom was really friendly, professional and a really great teacher! He took us step by step through the whole process (about 2.5 hours). Both he and our guide, Raju, from Backsteet Academy were very encouraging and always willing to step in to help us when we needed some extra assistance. We really enjoyed our experience and would definitely recommend this class to others.