“Excellent momo making class”
Review of Backstreet Academy

Backstreet Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore Nepali culture through our exclusive collection of travel experiences - carve a wooden mask, cook momos or learn pottery, the backstreets offer the richest interaction with the culture and people of a place. Immerse yourself in the de facto Nepali experience where the local backdrop retains its integrity and originality and discover a side of the city you never knew, available only through the forgotten backstreets. Backstreet Academy works with many competent yet struggling craftsmen with whom we structure a course together to teach the world about their traditional craft. Be it at their home or their workshops, we offer our guests access to a 'behind the scenes' experience that is often overlooked. This is the real local, the real Nepal, the real experience. And as you discover the backstreets, we will pair you with a facilitator who will help you translate and make sure you have a great time while making an impact. Courses available include: - Mask Carving - Stone carving - Momo Cooking Class - Dal Bhat Cooking Class - Pottery - Kite Making - Jute Bag Making - Sari Wearing - Paper Lantern Making Our other cities include: Phnom Penh | Siem Reap | Pokhara | Luang Prabang | Vientiane
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

A really enjoyable few hours spent in Kathmandu. We booked this for our last day after eating and loving momos so much, and it was so interesting and a very well run class. The guide was professional and extremely helpful with translation, while the family doing the class were so welcoming and funny. All the preparation and making was done by us with help from the master - very hands on and we felt fully involved. At the end the momos we made were delicious and everyone sat around chatting and the son of the family played music on his wooden flute. It was such a lovely class, thank you so much to everyone involved in it!

All reviews
"learn how"
in 7 reviews
"jeera"

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This was my third experience with backstreet on this trip and I’m very pleased once again. We did everything as listed in the description. My only advice is to make sure ur over any possible jetlag and have a good nights sleep because this a full day. It’s basically 3 experiences coordinated into one long day.

My guide Saujan (sp?) was super patient because the stone carving session was a bit intense! I didn’t want to leave my project incomplete and it just took a long time. He encouraged me to finish even though it ran late. I have a lot of respect that goes into the skill of carving!

The momo class was awesome - I already loved eating them, so having a chance to learn how to make them was fun. Our hosts already had all the ingredients measured out for us, so that saved time. Explanations were super clear and they had a good sense of humor. I feel like that family must be used to eating ugly shaped momos!

And the monk experience was informative too. If you know nothing about Buddhism or the opposite, the tour was still engaging. I still found myself wondering things as we walked around, so it was nice to talk with the monk. He was really courteous and friendly!

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I signed up for the upcycle, turn a rice bag into a handbag session and it was great. My guide, Abishek Singh, took me to our facilitator Tara. He served as a translator, but also was a part of the conversation too. Making the bag was awesome (don’t worry, you don’t need actual sewing skills, because you will be helped as much as needed), by even better was meeting these two. I enjoyed learning more about them and Nepali life and culture and sharing about my own culture. Backstreet experiences are awesome for this reason. We still had some time leftover, so after leaving Tara’s home Abishek took me around some local sites on our way back to the drop off. I highly recommend him as a host - he’s SO knowledgeable about all things Nepali and the world in general. Conversation flowed so easily and was really engaging.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

I did the Breakfast Food Tour, which is a great if you are new to town and want to try local breakfast food. Everything we ate was yummy, and you’ll be full for the rest of the day! An added bonus is learning about the history of the city and culture as you go. I highly recommend!

My host was Abhishek, who was wonderful. He has so much passion, heart and respect in guiding his tours. He made me feel like a friend from the start and I learned so much in the short time we were together. Thank you Abhishek!

1  Thank audrey i