“Everest Base Camp with my 12 year old son”

Mountain Monarch Adventures - Private Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kathmandu based owner operated and run adventure tours operator with commitment to offer the international standard service with safety backup. Organise day tour in Nepal Himalayas.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I just returned from Nepal yesterday after having done the Everest Base Camp trek with my 12 year old son (late March to first week of April 2018). The trek to base camp and indeed the whole Nepal experience - including the tour around Kathmandu the day before the trek and the 1.5 days milling around Thamel district afterwards was a 100% brilliant experience and ticked ALL the boxes a father and son could wish have.

Mountain Monarch is absolutely and unreservedly recommended and I am, without doubt, using them again when I go back in a few years time. From collection at the airport, the trek, safety precautions (not that we needed it - fortunately) and back to the airport - not a hitch. The 'before and after' service from Pradip was prompt, personal, courteous and consistent - very reassuring to have him as 'your man in Kathmandu'. If you are doing it with your child ask Pradip by mail for Mingma Tsering Sherpa to be your guide - he has children of his own and understood how to handle my boy when the need was there.

NOTE: You can get every possible piece of clothing or equipment for trekking in any one of hundreds of trekking/climbing shops in the Thamel district (where you will be staying) - for a fraction of the price you will be paying back home. I brought back two extra large 'North Face' bags (also bought there) with stuff I bought for myself and family to use for hiking back home - even 4 sleeping bags. I would recommend you spend the first hour or three not buying anything, but just checking out prices and identifying two or three shops to go back to and 'pig out' on gear - real fun when you compare to prices back home. The only necessary pre-trip purchase is really your boots - and that only because you need to wear them in for a month or more before you go.

Weather was generally great - possibly a bit early to go in late March, because we had proper snow falling on a few of the days at the higher altitudes (however coming from Cape Town - South Africa, where it hardly ever snows, this was a positive experience for us and the first encounter my son has had with snow). It was also bitterly cold at Gorak Shep / Base Camp - however the jackets provided by Mountain Monarch were 100% up to the task - as were the sleeping bags provided by them (don't buy the thinnish gloves - get proper padded gloves - mittens would however be an overkill). We were snug every night because the lodges also provide a duvet of sorts, which we put over our sleeping bags (water bottles filled with warm water by the guides, which we put inside the sleeping bags added to the comfort).

Whilst the ablution facilities gets 'less sophisticated' as you get to the higher altitudes, it was better than I anticipated from reading other blogs on the topic. The rooms we stayed in were essentially small wood panelled rooms - 2.5 by 3 meters with two beds and foam mattresses (not once did my back creak from it - all good). Despite my thoughts/intentions beforehand, we only showered twice in the 11 days - just too cold to get the kit off. I 'washed' with wet wipes and sometimes a facecloth and water etc in the late afternoons when we arrive at the hotel.

Do get a strong solar charger (also available in the trekking shops in Kathmandu if you look around), or battery packs to charge your phones/camera, as you pay to have your phone charged on the trek (I had a pack that gives about 4-6 full phone charges and had that charged at lodges twice on the trip (about 2.5 dollars for full phone charge).

Food along the way was good - even at Gorak Shep - the menu is repetative - even though you eat at different places every night. We avoided meat so - by the time we got back to Kathmandu it was 'sizzling' steak time dinner and lunch. What we did not take, bit loved when offered by other hikers was some form of trail mix to snack on (bits of dried fruit, nuts and chocolate nuts all mixed together). Again, you can buy these things on the trail, but is expensive as it was carried there.

Wifi was available at a cost - good tip is to buy data (NCell seems to be the best) in Kathmandu we had reception (albeit slow) virtually all the way up except at Dingbosche

Enjoy!!!!

"climbing guides"
"managing director"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018

summited island peak with mountain monarch in march from the day i landed in island peak base camp the mountain monarch team made me feel very welcome , there was no shortage of food or hot water for tea , coffee or hot chocolate , i requested a tent for myself after doing other mountains i new the benefits of not having to share a tent and having some comfort before a summit attempt mountain monarchs had no problem supplying a 2 man tent for me and giving me every chance to summit , the guide that lead me to the top was after summiting over 200 times and has vast experience with island peak , he answered every question i had and went threw the summit attempt with me on more than 1 occasion , all in all it was a great experience from start to finish i would book another trek with mountain monarch and have no problem recommending them to others

Reviewed 31 March 2018

In 2016 12 of us did a customised trek around the Annapurna region. We found the experience amazing and the crew lead by Finjo Dawa Sherpa awesome. Nepal is just stunning in it's views but the MM team were so accomodating, cheerful and helpful. Therefore my wife and I are returning in May to do it again.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

We just returned from a trip with Mountain Monarch to EBC with a helicopter return. Leading up to the trip the interactions with Pradip were great and we were promptly picked up at the airport when we landed. Mountain Monarch provided sleeping bags, liners, ponchos, down jackets and duffel bags of very good quality, which cut down on what we needed to bring.

Our guide, Netra, was great and managed to keep us all on track and was very helpful advising which food to avoid to not get sick. Our total trekking time was 10 days and this covered the hike from Lukla to EBC, Kala Patthar, and a descent back to Pheriche. Our trip was unique because once we reached Pheriche we had a helicopter back to Kathmandu, which saved us two long days of hiking to Lukla. While more expensive, I would highly recommend the helicopter return trip for the following:
1. Even including flights from the US and 2 full extra days in Kathmandu we were able to fit this trip into two weeks off from work without needing to ascend more quickly than a standard itinerary
2. After 10 days of trekking we were all excited to quickly get back to the warmth and comforts of Kathmandu
3. Flights out of Lukla are notoriously unpredictable based on the weather and it's not uncommon for flights to be cancelled. Helicopters can fly in much worse weather so you greatly increase your odds of getting back ontime
4. The view of the valley from the helicopter was amazing and a great way to end the trek!

Mountain Monarch was great about securing the nicest rooms and tea houses at each of the stops, but mentally prepare yourself that options become more rugged the higher up you get and many will not have western or attached bathrooms. I would also advise lots of stair climbing in preparation for the trip. Despite being regular runners and cyclists we found this trip strenuous and more tough than the 8 day Kilimanjaro trip we took 3 years ago.

Overall would highly recommend Mountain Monarch for your Everest region trips!