See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 November 2014

This is the first hotel I stayed at while in Kathmandu and was the best. The breakfast was very good. The room may have been a bit dated but was clean. The bed was not very comfortable but no bed in Nepal was very comfortable. The desk is not man sized as my legs did not fit under the desk to be on the computer but this was a problem at most places I stayed at in Kathmandu.

I had a shared bathroom but the water pressure was great and the water was always hot. Hotel staff was very nice. The neighborhood was quiet. It is in a residential neighborhood away from Thamel but close to Durbar Square and Freak Street. I thought I wanted to be closer to Thamel after my trek but quickly found that it is very loud at nights so I should have stayed at this hotel. Where the only noise you would hear is from the occasional barking dog.

When I come back to Kathmandu I will stay here again.

Room tip: I was by myself and reserved a double bed with a shared bathroom and it turned out fine.
Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Mike D
AceHotelsNepal, Owner at Ambassador Chauni, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2015

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time and writing us a positive review.
We are delighted to read that your time with us was memorable. We are only 10 minutes away from Thamel & Durbar Square.
We hope to welcome you back soon.
With best regards,

Sachin Dangol
On behalf of the Ambassador Chauni family

Reviewed 31 October 2014

Ambassador Chauni is a wise decision, when choosing a comfortable, clean and well-run place to stay in Kathmandu - at reasonable prices.

Away from the intensity of Kathmandu’s incessant traffic, horns and crowded tourist district (Thamel), it offers an excellent location among the various embassies situated in Kathmandu, and is literally within walking distance of Durbar Square, although part of the road leading to Durbar is unpaved. Still, the Chauni is a quiet oasis amid Kathmandu’s hustle and bustle.

The competent and friendly staff and efficient and genuinely caring Manager, Uttam Bajrachayra will make you feel comfortable, safe and cared for, and will answer your questions or suggest solutions for touring arrangements.

Ambassador Chauni offers free Wi-Fi, as well as room service and a café with an good menu and bar that offers free breakfast, as well as lunch and dinner. Once I called after the café had closed, but staff was quick to offer toast and tea.

Each room is located within an apartment environment that includes kitchenette, dining/living room area, ironing facilities, television with international cable tv and free bottled water for each floor. It also offers a conference room (max about 50 people) and seems to be a good choice for groups and professional presentations.

I arrived dead tired after a grueling 25+ hour flight from Los Angeles and was immediately welcomed and taken to an aesthetically pleasing, spacious and well-lit room with a comfy bed and private bathroom that had all the hot water I ever needed, with large windows overlooking a calm and lovely private garden adjacent to the Chauni, and a shaded terrace with potted plants, tables and chairs where guests are invited to sit and enjoy their meals, the sunset or the ambience.

I returned to the Ambassador Chauni after a quick trip to Bandipur and Pokhara with a fever and a cold. The staff were always caring and would even call to check on me to make sure I was alright and to ask if I needed anything. I have never experienced this at any hotel in the United States, so I am appreciative of the genuine caring of me as a woman traveller.

I plan to return to the Chauni next time I am in Kathmandu and will have the confidence that I am returning to my “home” in Kathmandu.

Room tip: I chose a room with a queen size bed rather than two
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank Paloma_Azul
Reviewed 29 October 2014

If you are looking at comfortable stay with one friend or bunch of friends ,then this property suits you just fine.20 mins away from the bustling thamel street, the property might be in a silent chauni area of Kathmandu,but is well equipped with all the basic services one needs.
Wi-fi, service to the room, comfortable beds,taxi booking and more.

My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights and we loved it.It has a beautiful sit out area too.

This property is perfect if you are a kind of person to go back to your hotel by 9pm or os.It is quite outside the property at late night and not bustling like thamel.
The bathroom is however a sharing one with people in the other rooms.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank ramya r
Reviewed 27 October 2014

If you're looking to be in Themal then this probably isn't the place for you. However, if you don't mind a short walk (15 minutes) to the older parts of Kathmandu, and be away from the pollution and chaos of Kathmandu, then this place is perfect. The hotel is great value for money - the room was clean and quiet and the staff were helpful. We were in a room with shared bathroom, but it was really clean and we didn't even see anyone else around, so it was like having a whole apartment to ourselves. Many of the 'roof terraces' in Nepal are simply space, but this one has plants, tables etc. and is a nice place to have breakfast. Wifi wouldn't connect during our stay, which is the only reason for the 4/5 review.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jbwol
Reviewed 7 September 2014

We enjoyed every day at this hotel. There is plenty of space in the fresh rooms and the beds are really big and comfortable. What we liked very much was the tasty breakfast on the terrace among beautiful plants. The staff is friendly and helpful. We highly recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: August 2014