All reviews hot water bottles electric blankets organic food eco friendly newari architecture traditional style morning yoga inner courtyard an oasis deluxe room carved wood beautiful hotel the hustle and bustle no air conditioning durbar square eco hotel beautiful garden
Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in December.

The hotel itself looks amazing, and inside is every bit as good. Full of character and authenticity.

Rooms are spacious, and the staff are friendly and helpful. Food is also very good.

Other reviews have called this hotel an ‘oasis of calm, in the heart of the Kathmandu madness’. This is certainly the case.

The hotel owners have chosen to go down the “eco hotel” route and, while we would applaud that concept, there are some aspects of this that do slightly impact on the guests’ stay. The rooms have no heating, for example, which in December makes them chilly. On the plus side though, hot water bottles are left in the bed at turndown, which is cosy and a bit of fun :)

Our bathroom was basic and somewhat old fashioned, but did the job adequately.

The rooms are dimly lit to say the least, and have low levels of natural light. To some it makes the atmosphere characterful and mysterious, but others may feel it just dark.

We will certainly return if ever we find ourselves in Kathmandu again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Subechhya B, Manager at Kantipur Temple House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Dear Dan and Helen,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your rooms spacious and our team friendly and our hotel with an authentic character. Thank you for appreciating our eco-ethos, and also due to this we have a different heating arrangement which our guests find very comforting and same goes with the light which we have done so as per the character of the hotel. Thank you for appreciating and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

Loved the experience of staying here for a night. I decided to return after my trip from the Himalayas back to stay in this hotel with friends for 2 more nights. I had a medical emergency during this time and this place took care of me as family. I am very thankful for all they did for me right from getting me help to nursing me back to heath with home made like comforting food. The staff is so friendly and nice. I would always stay here each time I visit Kathmandu.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Ekta,

Sorry to hear about your medical emergency during your stay in Nepal! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and felt at home with us and happy to hear about your speedy recovery. we look forward to welcoming you again in your next visit.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

On top floor we had a wonderful room with excellent view. The room service was excellent. Naturally we enjoyed the hot-water bottles and the electric blanket. And early morning tea as room service was served without delay. We loved the atmosphere.

Room Tip: if you can mount stairs to 4th floor then room 401 is a good choice
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Juergen,

Thank you for choosing your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room with a view from the top, our team's service and our cozy hot water bottles!

Reviewed 5 December 2017

After staying at Kantipur Temple House on my last visit to Kathmandu, it was the only option for me. The staff made it feel like a homecoming, and I particularly enjoyed the warm water bottles and heating pad that made for heavenly sleep. I once again enjoyed the food, made with ingredients from the family's farm as well as other organic farmers, and enjoyed chatting with the owner, who makes the rounds - engaging with his guests, not only to ensure that their needs are met but because he takes a genuine interest in each of them. I also took advantage of the yoga class offering provided by Yam in the beautiful garden. In a city that can often feel hectic and overwhelming, KTH is a true paradise.

Room Tip: Garden or courtyard views are both nice
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Adam J

Dear Adam,

Thank you for staying with us again! So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with is and grateful for your wonderful compliments. See you soon again.

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

I spent 10 days at Kantipur Temple House in November 2017 and can’t recommend it enough. The staff were amazing (friendly, helpful and thoughtful), the grounds were wonderful (quiet and peaceful amid the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu) and the location was second to none. I’d happily return again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Bridget E

Dear Bridget,

Thank you for your long stay with us! and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our team's service, our ambience and grounds. We hope to serve you again in the future!