See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 October 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights at the hotel. First night was ok, mattress was super thin and uncomfortable but we managed.
In the second night we tried to take a shower, there were no hot water at all. The hotel staff didn't do anything about it although we complained. We went to sleep without taking a shower, planning on a morning shower when we wake up. We opened the hot water nob and nothing... No water came out at all! Not even cold. We immediately checked outand went to a different hotel.

Date of stay: October 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank 601omrie
Reviewed 12 October 2014

I stayed here for about a week in total and found it one of the better cheap-hotels in central Kathmandu. It is clean and has a kind staff that are helpful with any issue you might have. The rooms are nothing special, but are ideal if you are a backpacker who's just looking for a decent hotel, when you've grown tired of those extremely cheap but rather nasty hotels/hostels that Kathmandu offers a lot of.
It is located in Thamel, which is where you'll find 90 % of all the hotels in Kathmandu and it's therefore very central to the most tourist part of the city.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank MartinHonge
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Two members of my tour group moved to Hotel Cosmic because the nearby hotel we were using was overbooked. They were a couple, and they had been apart for a long time.

When they took their room, they locked the door for some privacy. After only a few minutes, the building owner and two maintenance staff, without knocking, opened the door and barged into the room, finding my passengers en flagrante delicto. The owner and staff fled the hotel without apologizing.

Excuse was: manager hadn't had the time to sign my guests into the room properly, so the owner thought it was unoccupied. The manager said he hadn't had time to fill in the book, but there are other reasons why hotels don't properly record guests in their books. Anyhow, my group members were somewhat traumatized, and I spoke at some length with the owner who seemed contrite, but could find nothing constructive to say about the situation.

My students left straight away without spending the night, though they paid for one.

In other ways, the hotel seems extremely ordinary in a dowdy sort of way. It resembles the sort of low-brow business hotel you might find outside the Delhi airport, say. It is being added to so there is a lot of pounding. In view of my experience, there are a plethora of hotels in Thamel that would offer better value and a more pleasant atmosphere.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce911
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I basically lived at hotel cosmic for 2 months. It's cheaper than a lot of other hotels but has better rooms, showers (mostly always hot which is a luxury), service, and Internet than other places I stayed. The family is so nice and helpful- they want to make sure you are comfortable. The kitchen and food is great and you can get room service. It's a smaller hotel and feel intimate in that way. Really comfortable and quiet for Thamel. Actually a good location for Thamel because it is off of the main street. I loved it here. I would definitely go back and recommend it to others.

Date of stay: November 2013
1  Thank Allison R
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed at Hotel Cosmic before and after our two week hike through the Annapurna Circuit. The rooms were clean enough for the price (only $12 a night - what can you expect?), but the staff was extremely kind and accommodating, along with their roof top restaurant being a wonderful place to spend an afternoon having lunch.
If you're looking for a cheap place to stay that is walking distance from the main part of Thamel, book here.
Thanks so much,