All reviews hot water rooftop restaurant airport pickup the hotel staff location is great complimentary breakfast clean rooms no elevator thamel area hotel is located tucked away second home heart nepal trek solo electricity
Reviewed 26 November 2015

Backyard Hotel is probably the best hotel i've stayed at in a while. First we were warmly welcomed by Brish and the team. We were lucky enough to be apart of the Dashain and were made to feel at home in the celebrations. Brish helped us with organising our Poonhill Trek, Visiting Pokhara and Chitwan. It was a wonderful time in Nepal and i would recommend they people stay at the Backyard Hotel.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ritesh198400
BrishBackyard, Guest Relations Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2015

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for the kind words you’ve written about our hotel. There is no bigger satisfaction to us than knowing your stay with us was very satisfactory. We are very humbled by the words you have written about us. There is no greater pleasure to us than to see our valued guests happy and satisfied. If ever there has been any mistake from our staff or any short comings from the hotel do forgive us.
We are very thankful for the kind words you have written about our hotel from the bottom of our heart.
We hope you will allow us to be your host again in the future and provide us with the opportunity to be your host again in the future.
Suprin Bajracharya
Backyard hotel
Kathmandu, Nepal

Reviewed 14 November 2015 via mobile

Backyard Hotel is the best hostel experience I've had in my six months of travel. The staff are what makes this place a gem.

First-- the accommodation itself. The facility is a hotel, with one 4 bed dorm room, situated in the heart of Thamel, but on a backstreet so it is easily accessible but very quiet. I stayed in a private room as well as the dorm. Both rooms were clean, with lots of very hot water and western toilets; when the city had power outages, we had electricity. The dorm room's design is excellent: sturdy built in bunk beds maximize space, create privacy and give each traveller two lockers, one by the bedside. The mattresses are comfy and blankets warm. The internet is excellent-- you can Skype any time of day. They have kept the beautiful rooftop restaurant open, despite the fuel shortage, and still offer hot meals (not a full menu) at excellent prices for the Thamel area.

But as I said at the beginning, the staff are what make this place worth it. From the moment I arrived, jet lagged and groggy, I was taken care of. Brish, the manager, booked me a flight to Pokhara for less money than I could find online and connected me with a perfect hotel over there at a reduced price. When my return flight was cancelled, Brish knew before I did, contacted my hotel manager in Pokhara so I would know, booked me another flight the next day and made sure I had a backup open bus ticket in case no flights took off. He did all of this without a phone call from me. He then made sure, after my 2nd flight did indeed depart, that someone was there to pick me up at the Kathmandu airport and bring me back to the hostel. What was potentially a travel disaster was smooth sailing for me.

When my Indian visa was hung up due to international banking problems, the staff called the Indian embassy, and went above and beyond to help me arrange documentation and communications to get a visa. Again, travel disaster averted. And even though the whole staff is male, as a single solo female traveller, I always felt respected and safe.

In short, while you might find fancier or cheaper accommodation, this place is priceless and I feel fortunate that I chose to stay here.

4  Thank Amelia S
BrishBackyard, Guest Relations Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2015

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for a wonderful review of our hotel. We feel blessed to have accommodate you during your visit in Kathmandu. We hope you will choose our hotel for future trips in Nepal. We are also very glad to have completely satisfied you.

Please allow us to thank you form the bottom of our for writing such kind words about our hotel and our services.

We wish you luck for your future endeavors.

Reviewed 14 November 2015 via mobile

I left the UK in July and have been camping/staying in hostels. Hotel Backyard was my favourite.

For $7 per night (at time of writing) you probably wouldn't expect too much, but this little place in perfect location in central Thamel, was full of surprises.

The staff were excellent. They were so welcoming and friendly and did everything they could to help me out with travel, sights etc. Their English is great and they'd be happy just sitting with you and having a chat. They knew everyone's names staying there and would greet you each time you passed.

The mixed dorm had 4 beds in bunk bed formation. Usually that means the person on the top has to galumphantly clamber into bed, rocking and shaking the poor sod on the bottom. The way that this was designed meant that the beds weren't attached. There were stairs up to the top bunk and beds were extremely comfortable.

In the dorm, there's a big locker for your suitcase/big backpack and a small cupbourd by your bed for your day bag. You're given the key for both so everything is secure. Above each bed is a small nightlight and charging port. Super convenient.

Having stayed in three different places in Thamel, this is the only one that consistently had hot water. I actually started to shower.

Probably most importantly for most people, this place was clean. You didn't feel like you'd catch something if you brushed against the wall. The bathroom was clean and maintained and so was the dorm.

Would recommend to alk my friends.

3  Thank waveatthecar

Dear Valued guest

Thank you for your kind words. We are very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay in kathmandu with us. We are also thankful for your kind words and taking time out of your busy life to write those words about our hotel and our staff members. We are working to make your stay even more entertaining and enjoyable during your next visit.

We wish you best of luck for your future endeavors.

Kind regards
Suprin Bajracharya

Reviewed 9 November 2015

For Nepalese standards, this hotel offers clean rooms in a quiet, yet central location. I recommend the rooms with a balcony on the higher floors.
What I particularly liked was the rooftop restaurant - it is a great place to relax after a day of sightseeing from the bustling city over good food or a cup of tea.
The staff does a lot to make your stay as pleasant as possible - including things that are not apparent at first sight. For example, even in spite of the severe fuel crisis, there was hot water, hot dishes in the restaurant and because no taxis were available the owner himself drove us to the airport - at the regular fare.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are quieter. The rooms with a balcony have more windows and are brighter.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Matthias N
BrishBackyard, Guest Relations Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2015

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for a wonderful review of our hotel. We feel blessed to accomodate you during your visit in kathmandu. We hope you will choose our hotel for future trips in Nepal. We are also very glad to have satisfied you completely.

We wish you luck for your future endavours.

Reviewed 3 November 2015 via mobile

Stayed here on two separate occasions in October and November 2015
in between trekking trips and will be coming back again for sure.
Staff are fantastic and very helpful and the cafe on the roof is brilliant with decent food.
Great location tucked away off the main road and security guard on the door.
Was able to do washing for a small charge and leave gear here at the hostel while I was out trekking for no cost.
All in all great place and friendly atmosphere, will be back again soon.

4  Thank viss11
BrijBackyard, Guest Relations Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2015

Dear valued guest
We are very happy to know that your stay with us was very satisfying. We are happy to receive such wonderful feedback from our guests. We are very happy to receive such kind feedback and are looking forward for your visit to Kathmandu again. we believe we can provide you even better services for your next visit.

Also we thank you from the bottom of our heart for your kind feedback.