See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

Being a guest house i had the privacy of a hotel and the friendlyness of my own home. Staff are really concerned abot my welbeing and pleasure and its great value for money! The rooms are spacious the breakfast amazing and we can see the evidence of owners looking after their staff

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank sdwza
Reviewed 26 October 2016

I'm not a fussy traveller and don't have particularly high standards - I don't expect luxury on my trips. So it's rare I give a really poor review to a hotel. I stayed here as part of an Explore group, thankfully for just one night. The location is convenient for many of the key sights of Swaziland, although given how small the country is, that could be said of most places.

Arrival was chaotic as they had messed up our booking and there were not enough rooms - luckily it could be sorted out since not many other guests were staying (it's not a place that would get repeat custom!). Each room has a different theme, for example, chickens, zebra, boats. This could be charming if done well, but here it just adds to the bizarre atmosphere. The rooms were dirty - bed linen unchanged (or at least unwashed), bathroom grimy, no fresh soap - just slivers of soap used by previous guests. I've never before stayed in a room that provides me with a china egg basket but nothing clean to wash my hands with. I can forgive basic facilities and a lack of décor, but there's no excuse for not cleaning a room to an adequate standard. Again, I'm not being fussy - I'm not the type to run my fingers over hard to reach ledges or poke around under the bed. This was obvious and unignorable dirt.

My room opened out off the dining/lounge area. This meant it was constantly noisy from very early in the morning until late at night. If you're a light sleeper or even a heavy one like me, don't take room 5 or 6 unless you don't mind hearing every conversation next door through the paper thin walls. The door was thin and flimsy with a very basic lock and no chain or deadbolt, leaving me feeling uneasy and insecure especially as a female traveller on my own.

All the communal areas and my room smelt odd and of cigarette smoke. In the communal areas you will be pestered by the hotel's terrier dogs - fine if you like dogs, not so great if you don't. And even dog lovers might be a bit put off by the presence of their turds outside the external rooms.

It was also very cold - the location is high in the mountains and so temperatures do drop at night. Dress warmly if you intend to stay here. The rooms aren't insulated so if you're not in bed, you'll be shivering. There were no mosquito nets.

There is free Wi-Fi in the rooms - which is about the only good thing about the place. It's slow and drops in and out from time to time, but that's probably the infrastructure of the area rather than the hotel's fault.

Food wise, I waited nearly 2 hours for a plate of macaroni cheese. It was at least warm and of a decent standard. But when you're cold, hungry and depressed about your surroundings, you really don't want to wait that long for something you could cook yourself much faster (and I'm no chef!). The hygiene was obviously adequate though as I didn't get ill and wasn't aware of anyone else getting ill either.

Breakfast was chaos again with everything on one small table in the corner, a single very temperamental toaster and temperamental kettle and some cereals. There were cooked options but I didn't go for those as didn't want to be stuck there for 2 hours again.

The staff here are well meaning and obviously trying hard but were very ineffectual and completely out of their depth.

I would strongly recommend travellers to stay away from this hotel. I've travelled extensively throughout southern Africa and have never encountered anywhere as bad as this. There are plenty of other establishments in the area that are clean and well organised - go to one of them. Don't let the idea of being surrounded by naff knick-knacks for a night trick you into thinking you'll have a good stay - you need a clean, quiet, secure feeling room for that - even if it's otherwise bare.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank FearfulFlyer2
Reviewed 19 August 2016

It was our first time to travel up to Swaziland with my husband for a little getaway we got the place through the Website and booked soon after.
The staff was polite but the food was just beyond average upon arrival and we knew it was not a place shown on the web page. We got the most terrible experience as the place was a little outdated our rooms were not up to standard linen was dirty. the place has an old dusty eating area with outdated cutlery

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank gratiousm
Reviewed 19 February 2016

There's a lot to like about this hotel. It has lots of charm, although possibly a little too "deliberate" for some tastes. All of the rooms have an individual theme. Our's was themed around golf and our son's around sailing. The walls of our room had various golfing decorations and a set of clubs stood in the corner. This led to the first issue with the room, it really wasn't big enough to house all this decoration (or "junk" as I called it when I found how cramped it was). The second issue I had with the room was the light shining in from the passage outside. The light had been situated opposite the frosted window and there were no blinds. But by far the worst thing about the room was the lack of any privacy in the bathroom. Lying down on the bed put the toilet in full view, with no door between. I know of few relationships where people are comfortable to see each other on the toilet and having no door to block the "oder de toilet" is less than ideal. Someone needs to think this through some more. Especially as I found no other toilets in the hotel.

The shared areas of the hotel are really nice with lots of character. You feel like your sitting in a family home when eating at the restaurant and staff were extremely pleasant. Service was a little slow with food coming out one person at a time rather than all together, but our party was large, filling the hotel and I think it was larger than the kitchen is used to. When the hotel if full with separate groups sitting down at different times I think they'll be ok. The food itself was good.

We were only there for one evening, but the garden look very special. Bit of a magic garden to it. Like the hotel itself, it was small, but with lots of bits and a heavy slice of charm.

As I said in the title. Some people will love this place, saying it's the best hotel they've seen. Others, like me, will feel its shortcomings outweigh its charm.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2015

I was so grateful to the team of helpful, friendly and polite staff here. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Eden Guesthouse is in a great, quiet location and the building itself is a uxurious former home, and still feels very much like you are staying at your granny's house! Lovely, charming rooms throughout - a really special place.

Room tip: All the rooms are unique and beautiful - I had a good nosey round!
Date of stay: April 2015