All reviews small mall nice amenities bit dated excellent location business trip expected amenities ordered room service egg station an iron well located hotel shower head hot water rooms are spacious walking distance bars and restaurants excellent business hotel an upgrade
Reviewed 20 August 2018

I stayed at Avenida for work purposes. Some of the reviews online said the hotel was a bit dated but I think those reviews must have been old as I found the hotel to be top quality in terms of comfort and modern touches. The public areas were clean, comfy and had a sense of luxury I wasn't expecting. The staff were attentive at all times and I felt confident in their skills. The breakfast was my daily highlight. My room was spacious, modern and very clean. The wifi was fast and the staff helped us use the business centre without an issue. The hotel is well situated for the hospital, the University and for walking to the tourist areas. There is a small mall (with bureau de change) and a number of excellent restaurants only a few blocks away. Overall, the hotel was ideal for a business trip and way exceeded my expectations. I would stay again :)

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Jacinta T, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such nice comments after your stay with us.
I am truly pleased to hear that we have fulfilled and exceeded your expectation regarding our service, facilities and breakfasts. Our Team's main goal is to offer each Guest's stay an unforgettable experience.
It was a pleasure to have you as our Guest and I do hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Maputo.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 23 July 2018

The Hotel Avenida was recently renovated. The rooms are spacious and well-decorated.
The bathrooms are modern.
The staff was very attentive and helpful. They would leave chocolates everyday and in the last night they left a small bag of cashew.
The breakfast has a lot of variety to choose from.
The location is perfect you have just outside several banks, restaurants and some stores.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Jacinta T, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Dear Guest. Thank you for making our hotel your second home when you're in Maputo. Your continued patronage of our hotel is sincerely appreciated and we hope to be part of your future trips.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

The hotel is well situated. Staff very professional and great service. Stayed for a week. Fantastic facilities such as the rooftop pool and gym, as well as great views. Nothing to fault really, even got a small gift when I left.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Jacinta T, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

Very well located hotel, clean room, besides having nice and receptive staff.
High quality restaurants and very good breakfast.
The gym is also well equipped.
Highly recommended for a period related to business trip at the heart of Maputo.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Jacinta T, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Reviewed 21 February 2018

I think when reviewing hotels in the developing world it is important to contextualize things. Given national infrastructure, certain things like Internet cannot be as fast as hotels in countries where everyone has faster Internet. That said, here is my experience and then some details.

I didn't reserve the shuttle but ran into an employee of the Portuguese engineering firm that runs this and other hotels in the airport, and he told me I could go with him, which ended up being in the hotel shuttle, which meets certain flights. That worked fine, but I was surprised when what I interpreted as a friendly ride ended up on my bill at 1,350 Meticais or $22, about double what a taxi would have cost.

My room was fine at first impression. I would say a 3.5 star room compared with U.S. hotels. My fridge wasn't working, which, when reported, was fixed almost instantly. Next day, the chair at the work desk seemed like it had no upholstery, and it was similarly replaced quickly. The chair itself is the wrong kind, more of a dining room chair than an office chair. A couple of days later I noticed water drops from the wall near the AC, reported it and was moved to another room. I requested an upgrade for my inconvenience, but the night manager could not authorize it, and I spent a night in another room with a noisy AC. The next day, I received my upgrade to a junior suite (bigger room, bigger bed, sofa, and Delta brand espresso maker, which was a nice touch).

I had an early morning flight so checked out the night before, and was annoyed the next morning when the reception guy insisted I hadn't paid for the last night even though I showed him the hotel's own paperwork showing that I did. It took some arguing and a more senior staff member stepping in to resolve it. I don't know if this was intentional or a mistake, either way, it is not the discussion you want to have when you are headed to the airport.

Overall, if someone else was paying (I had a per diem) this is acceptable. If I had to pay out of my own pocket, I might try the Terminus a couple of blocks away.

Details:
Internet - slow - 1 Mb/s up and down - email slow to receive and send except at night
Room - good but not great - wall-to-wall carpet which while clean, I think is unhygienic anywhere in the world. Not enough lighting to work
Corridors - poorly lit, also carpeted, depressing
Shower head - very basic, terrible spray like in a cheap motel in the U.S. NOT 5 star.
Water - no issue with hot water
Gym - looked good but I got sick and didn't use it
Pool - not really a pool for use, as it is small and wedge shaped, more for decor really
Breakfast - people seem to love it on Tripadvisor, and there is a lot of food if you are greedy. Many different breads and a few Portuguese pastries. Egg station. Scrambled eggs, sausages, potatoes, bacon, mushrooms, chicken/beef hot dish, presunto (prosciutto) or smoked salmon, cheese slices, fruits, yogurt,cereals, cow and soy milk, juices, coffee, tea. Thing is all the prepared food was excessively oily, which is not uncommon in urban Africa, which left me eating yogurt, fruit, and smoked salmon most days, as I limit my carb intake.
Lobby - nice, large bar, furniture looks good but is uncomfortable
Staff - mostly excellent, courteous, and competent
Price - in the U.S., I'd pay about $130 for a similar/better room, but the lobby area and breakfast (if you like oily food) might push the value up to $150. I paid $190.
Location - handy, around many restaurants that you can walk to, all overpriced, with a meal costing around $20 without alcohol, coffee, and dessert. Lots of traffic so hard to get in and out, or park

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Mothassy, Executive Assist Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Dear Mr. Keith,
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you had a good stay overall. However, I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay and don't hesitate to call me to share more information and I will try my best to rectify the situation.
Thank you and look forward to seeing you soon.