“...a hidden gem...”
Review of Mozaika Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Mozaika Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 48 Maputo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed at Mozaica for 4 nights and my overall experience was only positive.
Room was spacious, the bed was absolutely comfy, there was a big LCD TV with local and satellite channels and the bathroom clean and modern. If a small refrigerator type mini bar could be added to the room it would have been just perfect.
Breakfast was very decent, the lychee juice is a must as well as the chorizo like salami.
Sitting under the huge mango tree next to the pool is the perfect idea to unwind after a long day of walking in downtown Maputo.
The gardener is a very sweet older man who takes care of the trees and the plants with the outnmost care and he gave me info about the flora of Mozambique. The people who work at Mozaika are young, polite, friendly and absolute professionals.
The guest house is located in a very beautiful and safe neighborhood, just 15 minutes walking from the FEIMA, 30 minutes walk from Plaza de Independencia and just 3-4 minutes walk from restaurants and a supermarket (more like a convenient store) on Avenida Vladimir Lenin.
The free of charge and 24/7 wifi all around the premises of the guest house should also be mentioned.
Will definitely come back at Mozaika.

Room Tip: choose the rooms on the back so you will enjoy a totally peaceful sleep
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Like others I found Mozaika to be delightful, clean, homely and probably a bit of a western fantasy of what Mozambique should be like: colourful, decorated with quality timber and bright tiles, a swimming pool set in a tropical garden, attentive staff and so on. Having come from 8 nights in cheaper accommodation that typified the reality of life in Maputo, this was a very welcome change.
The pros:
I would say this is an ideal option for those on a budget (accommodation in Maputo is unreasonably expensive), and who are looking for northern European standards of cleanliness and service, with a good dollop of African charm. I did not see any mosquitos, but I kept my screens closed on the windows and used my own roll-on insect repellent night and day. As noted elsewhere, there are mosquito nets on all the beds. The internet service seems excellent (I'm using it right now in fact) and frankly, I don't understand the fuss about the breakfast. Choices of cereals, fruits, breads, biscuit/cakes, and I believe hot food could be ordered too. Perhaps they have upgraded the breakfast since these complaints were made. I notice that the complaints came from Germanic folks, and I know that in those countries, hotel breakfasts are stupendously lavish, so perhaps it's all relative.
The cons:
The old air conditioner unit in my room (room 2 in Mozaika 2) was deafening. Sounded like a jet aircraft taking off and I had enough of that on the 14 hour flight from Australia, thank you. I basically couldn't use it at night, but then the room would heat up, so periodically I would switch it on, cool down, and switch it back off. This must be addressed - split system units are cheaper to run and much quieter.
The most important issue for many travelers is that at the time of writing, they could ONLY accept VISA card. My mastercard and amex were no good with their system. This is a major problem across Maputo, where businesses are signing up to electronic payment devices seemingly without realising that they are restricted to only one type of credit card. Certainly, the reception staff had to call the help line only to be told that this was a Visa only machine. They seemed unaware that it was restricted. Moreover, many ATMs have tiny withdrawal limits and again, in my experience, most BCI ATMs would only accept Visa, with Millenium accepting only mastercard (or sometimes both). But with limits of 3000MT (about USD100) per transaction, this means lots of expensive withdrawals. Paying for the accommodation bill for two night cost me USD10...not happy about that.
Mozaika 2 is located in a fairly noisy street. Last night (a Friday), locals gathered at the bottle shop opposite with their car stereos so loud I could feel it thudding in my gut. This went on until about midnight, then at 1am another party started at the back of a block of flats. This time I just couldn't take it, so I went and asked them to turn it down. They seemed genuinely surprised but quickly turned it right down. Still, the general noise from the street is quite loud, so request a rear room unless you are a very heavy sleeper. Of course, if they fix the A/C, then it would be possible to shut the windows, which would help with the noise. Also, yes, the water pump is very loud and close to this room, but only really goes on a lot during the day.
All in all, I liked this place. I will be back as long as I can be guaranteed a quiet back room.

Room Tip: Select a back room away from the street noise, not rooms 1, 2 or 3, at Mozaika 2.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Heygeorgie
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed at Mozaika on a business trip for 2 weeks. The staff is wonderful and accommodating in all aspects and make you feel right at home. Will never stay anywhere else when in Maputo.
The rooms are well kept and clean and have all the necessary amendments. Refreshing pool wil beautiful garden for relaxation after warm day in Maputo weather (lol)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Gerrit M
Reviewed 1 October 2013

After a day in bustling Maputo, Mozaika is the perfect place to unwind. The guesthouse is made of bright-coloured building around a garden and pool, it's simply and well decorated, and the bed was one of the most comfy I've ever slept in, with crisp white linen that just discouraged me from the smallest attempt to find someone to grab a drink with.
Nice and helpful staff and very decent breakfast.
Not quite in the centre but I enjoyed the quieter area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank cpontal
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was staying 6 nights at Mozaika guesthouse which is my preferred accomodation in Maputo. As always it was very homely, very welcoming and pleasant. All rooms have good mosquito nets, there is reliable internet access and the staff will do their utmost best. Plus on top you get complementary coffee and tea throughout the day. The price may appear to be on a high side, especially if compared with South Africa or with Europe, but it is very acceptable for Maputo, and as I said, you get the most pleasant experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business