“Lovely lunch at Latitude”
Review of Latitude 13

Latitude 13
Ranked #5 of 86 Restaurants in Lilongwe
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: International, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Award nominated chef Richard Greenhall and Andrew O'Hallaran have created an eclectic menu, that transports the diner from Lake Malawi to Asia and the distant Mediterranean.The list of fifty superior wines from South Africa, complements the culinary journey, turning every meal into a special occasion.Dinner in the main restaurant is relaxed, whilst lunch al fresco on the terrace by the pool and gardens, is sublime.
Reviewed 3 September 2018

I have been to Latitude a number of times and I love the venue, the atmosphere, the friendly staff and the excellent food. This time I was there to lunch with some friends, and I was happy to see some new options on the menu (haven't been there in while), the food was great and everyone really made sure we were happy with our orders. I really recommend anyone visiting Lilongwe to go to Latitude for a lunch or dinner!

Date of visit: September 2018
NicholasB2536, Group Commercial Director at Latitude 13, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

Dear Ciseu,

Thank you for your kind words, and for reviewing your lunch with us! I'm glad that you took advantage of some of the new menu options that we have recently introduced, and I will pass your comments on to the Team - they will definitely appreciate them!

Come back again soon!

Until then - all the best!

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

For a start, Latitude 13 in Lilongwe Malawi is the funkiest boutique hotel I have come across anywhere, and I have been to quite a number of places. There is art displayed in pretty much every room in the bar area, restaurant & toilets and the whole vibe is very relaxing & laidback. A considerable amount of thought and effort has gone into setting this place up; by & large it has hit the mark, and some. So it is incredibly disappointing that the quality of the food during our dinner was so poor. I had a forgettable, ordinary fish dish, and various of my dining companions had over cooked, rubbery chicken which was not well presented, or a variety of dishes missing crucial ingredients which were an integral part of what was expected. Furthermore, a number of dishes which were on the menu were not available when requested. While this may be good enough for a more down market establishment this should not be good enough for Latitude 13, with it’s aspirations presumably to be at the forefront of the culinary scene in Lilongwe in keeping with its smart set-up. If you don’t have an ingredient or if a dish is not available do not put it on the menu! I have eaten at Latitude 13 twice before, both times in 2016, & was very impressed with the standard & value for money at the time, hence my return in 2018. Sadly, there has been a significant deterioration since 2016 which is a great shame given the venue and general excellence of the rest of Latitude 13. Sort it out, guys, please, & regain the standards you had before... I expect a vast improvement by the time I next pay a visit.

2  Thank Martin2007010

Dear Martin2007010, I'm very disappointed to hear through your review that you had such a disappointing dinner before you left to head home...and I have spoken with both our Group Chef and F&B Manager to ensure that they are fully aware of your comments, and the drop in standards that you experienced since your last visits in 2016. I can assure you your experience on your next visit will be different!

I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed our unique take on local African artisanship an artistry, and the role that plays in creating the vibe that we are so proud of. Hope that it's not long before you give us the opportunity to match the culinary experience with this!

Very best wishes - and thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us!

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Was not sure about their lunch offering until I went there. Very good 'health eating' light lunch and ambience was good. Timely service in a very tranquil outdoor setting.

Date of visit: August 2018

Hi Makangano! Thanks for your review of your lunch with us. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed it, and the tranquil setting outdoors by the pool...!

Hope we see you again soon!

Best wishes!

Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

Beautiful meal in Lilongwe. Bread — fantastic. Great relaxing vibe. Great value / food portion . Talented Chef who came out to chat with patrons. Recommend highly

1  Thank Arpan P
Nicholas B, Group Commercial Director at Latitude 13, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Hi Arpan P,

I'm so glad that you got to interact with our Chef, and that your experience with us was great! We hope that you will be back to visit us again soon!

Best wishes!

Reviewed 10 August 2018

We ate at the restaurant and having heard and read about it found it to be overated and over priced.The Tandori chicken was anything but Tandori and had no taste at all. I understand fusion food but this was just not tasty! The person serving us could not get our order right and made a mess , this definitely did not help the experience.
The place is beautiful and with a bit more attention to detail to the quality of food could become a good restaurant. I think most expats go there for the ambiance as the place is beautifully done up.

Date of visit: July 2018

Dear SRDDB,

I am glad that you enjoyed the ambiance of Latitude 13 during your visit to us, but saddened to hear that you didn't feel the service and cuisine was up to standard; our Group Executive Chef will definitely be given your comments so that he can determine where improvements can be made to ensure that this is not the case moving forward. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Best wishes.