“One last diner in Lilongwe before going back to Canada!”

Orchid Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 86 Restaurants in Lilongwe
Reviewed 4 March 2018

I enjoy the food and the service was great - The place is a bit expensive compared to other place, but thinking that you're in Malawi, it makes up for it. The atmosphere was nice and I learnt that on Wednesday, it's a game night for which I would have love to join, but couldn't during my stay. I will let my picture tell you how delicious the food was.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Living at home alone and note a very good cook, I tend to look for dinner places in my area so at the spur of the moment I can just go somewhere quickly for a nice dinner. Orchids has been one of my regular spots since I moved to Lilongwe and I have not been disappointed yet. The food is good and the cocktails are great, albeit more expensive than the food. The staff have been great so far, friendly and very accommodating. The scenery is very nice especially the garden in the evening.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Really disappointed by my first (and last) visit at Orchid.
Bad quality and badly presented food. Despite we were the only table left to serve it took the waiter more than 20 minutes to take the order. I had to stand up and call them.

Once the food arrived it was literally uneatable:

1: Tabbouleh roughly chopped onions and parsley (almost entire leaves)

2: hummus was not creamy and tasteless

3: pita bread not cooked and fluffy

4: pomegranate fried veg and rice dish absolutely eye-hacking and uneatable - including microwave heated rice (refer to picture)

5: Falafel tasted horribly, were greasy irregularly shaped and had the same color outside and inside (first time ever). They seemed fried a day earlier

6: My colleague ordered still water ( specifying twice small bottle) the other friend ordered the same. The waiter came (after 20 minuets) with two big jug of water of one liter each. I guess the waiter should have informed the jug was 1 liter and we could have started with one (since we had also ordered beers and cocktails)

....should I continue ?

When sending back my food (politely) the manager made a first attempt to replace the food with another dish.

Unfortunately I did not like it either. All good, I mean...it happens ...no drama....The manager started getting nervous. I wasn’t disrespectful, I just didn’t feel like eating that food that wasn’t in any possible way meeting my standards. Do I have the right to decide what to eat ? I guess that in the manager opinion I should have just eaten the food, full stop. Instead of understanding the reasons and take it as an opportunity for improvement he took it really personally. He left and again we had to go and look for them to bring the bill.

I guess we were skipping desserts at this point right ? :)

I payed in USD and he bring the change in Kwacha. I counted the money and put it in my wallet. The manager ORDERED me to count them again in a very disrespectful manner. I politely declined saying that it was all good.

Overall really disappointing experience for both “food” and customer experience.

Positive notes:
he did not charge for the dishes I sent back

The setting is really nice and the garden well kept with nice flowers

My friend says cocktails are really good in Orchid...I haven’t tried but I trust him...

Hope it helps customers to chose and management to improve.

Regards

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 23 January 2018

My young daughter and I visited here for dinner on a Tuesday evening. It is the only Middle Eastern / Persian restaurant that I know of in Lilongwe (perhaps in all of Malawi?) The management and staff were very friendly; service was good and the owner/manager engaged me in conversation. I do not eat lamb or fish and rarely beef, so there were not as many options on the menu for me, but I ordered the entree with chicken breast and was not disappointed. (There are several vegetarian and vegan dishes though that sound interesting) It was grilled to perfection and bathed in a light and tasty lemon sauce and served with a basic but good flatbread and a light cucumber, onion, and tomato salad. As it had been a long, long time since I had had felafal, and I wasn't sure how I felt about it, the manger unexpectedly brought me out a few samples. Wow. So, so good. I enjoyed the whole experience and my daughter and I will certainly go back again.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Very disappointed... The chef clearly knows how to cook a delicious saffron rice. But when it's yesterday's, poorly reheated in a microwave, and the accompanying white wine is served warm, the bill feels like it should be about half.

Date of visit: December 2017