All reviews five weeks calling taxis recommend this hotel food tour helpful person great hotel dirt track airport shuttle side road clean hotel bigger room rooms are nice and clean small hotel offer free northern ethiopia exchange rate restaurant offers
Reviewed 13 May 2018

closed to airport. nice clean comfortable rooms. good breakfast. very friendly staff. bar area. airport shuttle. good wifi. overall nice place to start holiday in ethiopia. other hotels in walking distance

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2018

Stayed here for four nights with friends.

The good:
+ consistent wifi
+ free airport shuttle
+ near a well-known hotel (Capital), which helped with taxi directions
+ very helpful and nice staff
+ clean bedding
+ excellent laundry services
+ consistent hot water
+ ATM access right outside the hotel

The not as good:
- very noisy (my windows in room 302 didn't close all the way, so I heard music blasting nearby until 3am every night, a rooster woke me at 6am, and there was construction next to my room at 7am)
- breakfast was not very good--very few fresh options
- uncomfortable bed
- stiff towels
- audible pipes whenever the guests upstairs used their bathroom

For the low price of the rooms, I would rather stay somewhere a little fancier and get a better night's sleep. For one or two nights, this is perfectly adequate.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2018

My hotel of choice whilst staying in Addis.
Management and Staff will go out of their way to accommodate all reasonable requests.
Low key hotel with great service.
I'm a FT that have top tier status in a few global hotel brands, Starwood/Marriott P, IHG Spire, HH Gold. When in Ethiopia, I temper my expectations for all interactions.
Clean and safe hotel.

Room Tip: Look for ones with a brighter room light. It is Addis, so it will be loud with prayers early morning.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2018

I'm not sure how this hotel is as highly ranked as it is on tripadvisor. I just checked out today after a 2-night stay and was so disappointed I had to write this review immediately. Firstly, after four email messages to every single email address available on the website to confirm the airport shuttle pick up, I got zero response. A helpful person at the airport called the hotel for me to let them know I needed a shuttle.
Secondly, there must have been a leaking water tank above my bathroom because all I heard was plumbing noises 24/7.
Thirdly, I was quoted outrageous taxi prices by the hotel staff, who are supposed to be on the guest's side and not helping taxi drivers price gouge foreigners. I always ended up walking out to the street myself, hailing a cab and paying less than 1/3 what they quoted me.
Fourthly, the internet barely works, if it does work. The power goes out a number of times a day. This morning, I counted 7 times with the internet down for a number of hours.
Lastly, it must be a scheme of theirs to shut down the internet before check out time because that is the excuse they gave for why they couldn't accept any credit cards. So I would not assume this place actually accepts credit cards. Have lots of birr or USD on hand to pay your bill.

In all, the Caravan hotel is not cheap. It is quite expensive for what it is and I'm not sure how they can get away with charging such high prices for so little.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank narfie
BELETE T, Marketing Manager at Caravan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Dear. Valued guest,

Very warm Greeting from caravan Hotel,

We would like to thank you for your feed back , as feedback is extremely valuable.
We would really really like to apologize for the series of incident that you experienced during your stay with us .Immediately after we have seen the review , We have looked into each issue that you have noted .From our investigation into the facts of incident you have mentioned, it appear that, mistake were made by our stuffs , with out any hesitation immediately we have taken measure in away that such things not append again .
Regardless of the incident you mentioned I hope during your stay , you have observed how helpful and lovely most of our stuff are we continually try to do our very best for all of our guests , but sometimes we do fail.
Regarding the power cut off , it is the issue of the country , it is not happening only in caravan hotel. In-spite of the fact that , there are such kinds of problem in the country , caravan Hotel have back up power generator, which will be on when ever power is gone .
Please be assured that what you have faced is not happened again All management stuffs apologies once again for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us.
We hope we will have second chance and We looking forward to it .

With best regards,
Belete

Reviewed 28 February 2018

the hotel itself was pretty average but the staff was excellent! Very accommodating, very helpful, always smiling!

also only about a ten minute drive to the airport with easily arranged free airport transfers.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo