“Exciting location in the medina, but not worth it.”
Review of Dar El Medina

Dar El Medina
Ranked #19 of 55 Hotels in Tunis
Reviewed 12 February 2016

Our one night there was pleasant enough, but we did have the tiniest room imaginable, and the bathroom was a postage stamp. We enjoyed the balcony for our early evening aperitif, but the price was higher than we needed to pay (244 dinar which was $120 at the time). The young man holding the fort was overwhelmed and not very helpful with information. The view from the roof was worth climbing for!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 328Myrtis

Reviewed 10 October 2015

Stayed here for a week in October 2015. The house couldn't be lovelier - each room is different, carvings, mosaics, lovely tiles. Really a gem.
But I found the staff unhelpful and unfriendly. It has a rigid way of doing things and will not depart - so, we asked every day for fruit for breakfast. Not possible. There is fruit in the market, I had to go and buy for myself. But this hotel WILL NOT depart from their set way of presenting breakfast. In the same way they could not/would not help me with telephoning a taxi, searching for a gym, providing a kettle in my room.
I'm working here in Tunis and this hotel is very unsuitable. There is no desk, no chair at which it's suitable to type on a laptop. Wifi is hit and miss.
Stay a couple of nights as a tourist, you'll love it. But don't expect any flexibility to cater to your needs. Amenities are pretty much non existent. Restaurant (in my opinion) very poor.

Room Tip: all rooms are different, ask to see a few and choose
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Julian W
Reviewed 26 May 2015

The rooms were lovely. Spacious. Clean. Excellent location. Breakfast is simple fare. Usual the same every morning. Staff friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel for one night or several nights.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank barbara b
Reviewed 17 April 2015

I liked a lot the hotel, it is an old-style house with extremely nice rooms and decorated with taste that I would recommend to anyone.
So nice place, the service is a different story: slow, they forget to bring you things (including salt and napkins) when you ask for them. They are extremely friendly and useful but also inconstistent...the first time I stayed I was served tea for free and the second time, 5 days later, they charged me 10 Dinars for 3 tea (how would you divide 10 by 3 by the way?)
They also have rooms with window on the courtyard, very silent and quiet, and other on the street, relatively quiet but not so much
I would go there again and again, just stay clear of meals (and tea)

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
julien020, Propriétaire at Dar El Medina, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2015

The hotel Dar El Medina and his staff apologize for any inconvenience occurred unintentionally and we hope that you spent or will spend a great time with us.

We are sorry for this misunderstanding
please be advised , that we are currently training our staff

Thank you for continuing to give us your feelings. Marahbé.

Reviewed 9 April 2015

It's always a good sign when you wish you could stay longer. My review of the Dar El Medina is being written months after we stayed there last June 2014 - but my sentiments still hold true: the hotel is adorable and perfect for a stay in Tunis' old Medina. When we arrived, Ramadan was in full swing. Upon check-in, the front desk attendant asked if we wanted to partake in Iftar or the sunset meal of Muslims when they break their daily fast. What a treat. We were able to share the occasion with locals, adding to our experience of Authentic Tunis. The rooms were cozy and clean - maybe a bit too warm for my husband. But there was AC and it eventually cooled down enough. I enjoyed the local interior design, a mix of antique and modern locally crafted pieces. And you can't beat the location. The hotel is within walking distance to small little shops throughout Medina and other tourist spots nearby. Because of Ramadan, things were shuttered until the sun went down, so we didn't get to experience much in the day. And because the streets come alive at night, the noise level was an issue when we finally turned in for sleep. But it was minor. You'll love it here for at least a one-to-two night stay on your way to the coast.

Room Tip: There's a room with a giant balcony. Ask about that. We had one with a window that opened over...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
julien020, Propriétaire at Dar El Medina, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2015

Thank you for continuing to give us your feelings. Marahbé.