“Lovely stay in Dar es Salaam”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #6 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was a lovely hotel with staff who made us welcome from the first moment. Our cases were whisked up to our room by a very friendly member of staff. All the staff speak good English which helped us as we do not speak Kiswaheli.The warm chocolate cookie at check-in was a great touch and complimented the good selection of teas in the room. The bed was so comfortable with crisp linen and pillows to sink into for a delicious sleep. The view overlooking the Bay made just sitting relaxing on the chaise an added bonus. The grounds are beautifully kept and we enjoyed a pizza by the pool with many places to relax. It is near the Slipway shopping centre with its array of shops, eating places and craft market which was well worth the 3 minute walk to. Free Wi-Fi and good internet access made it easy to check in for our flight which is easily reached - about 30 minutes in a taxi. We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 day stay.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor overlooking the Bay
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoyTelfordUk

Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is the only hotel I've stayed in in Dar es Salaam, so I have no personal experience to compare it to others. My experience at the hotel has been very good--good service, very nice rooms (and with tile floor rather than carpeting--yippie!), beautiful pool and patio area. Internet and gym access were included with my stay, as was a very good daily buffet breakfast. As with many hotels, the business services leave something to be desired--I used the business center to print a file now and then, and found the desktop to be impenetrable in terms of doing something as simple as opening windows explorer to pull a file off a jump drive. Opening it via my email account was far better. Internet is wireless and the speed varies--slowest in the evenings which is probably peak use. The internet login process is...quaint and once I figured it out, was fairly endearing unless I was in a rush--any time you log on (and there is no automatic reconnection) you have to re-establish your username and password as if you were a new user. It only takes a minute, but was slightly annoying until I got used to it. Very good restaurant food!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank 730108Traveler
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I've now stayed in a few hotels of varying standards in Tanzania, one trip in October on Honeymoon and just this month on business. As a hotel for a business trip this is ideal although I found the internet a little unreliable.
The rooms are generally very good and clean. They are spacious and everything works. All the services are good and attentive. There's a nice pool bar area. The gym is a bit small and I didn't feel too safe on the treadmill but if that's all I have to complain about then they're not doing bad.
I wasn't paying for it myself so wasn't too bothered about the cost and I didn't eat in the hotel bar breakfast which was good.
Staff are very friendly too. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: sea view rooms might come at a premium but there is a nice view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank robscott101
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I spent a week at the Doubletree in Oyster Bay/Dar es Salaam for business and found it to have very nice accommodations. The staff was lovely and very helpful, especially the housekeeping, desk staff, and concierge (Kassim was outstanding and went above and beyond to be sure I got my ferry ticket to Zanzibar). The room was comfortable, the grounds quite beautiful, and I felt very safe and secure. The hotel is right next to the Slipway with food, bank, ATM etc. It isn't in the city center so, since we were working all week, it was hard to see more of the city, but being near the water every day made up for that... Recommend eating on the marble patio for sunset: Very beautiful views.

One note: the water in the shower gets very very hot and is hard to get the right temperature. One could easily be scalded, especially kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2012

As a frequent traveler, I have learned that not all Hilton properties are the same quality or standard, even within the same brand. What better way to be greeted from a long way from home and after a long trip than with the Doubletree brand chocolate chip cookie. It put me in a much better mood from the torturous traffic from the airport. Better mood = engaging with the front desk personnel with a much more friendlier attitude. This hotel beats the competition in town by a long shot. I particularly liked that the restaurant was inside which means little or no pesky flies or bugs visiting with the meal. I mention this because the hotel on the other side of the peninsula has open restaurant which presents a problem with flies and insects landing in the food. The swimming pool here is very nice and large. I liked the hotel's solution to overcoming the smell of the bay at low tide and the surrounding smelly neighbors. Food was very good here at this hotel both in the restaurant and pool side. The chef is not from Tanzania - perhaps from South Africa. The breakfast buffet contained a large variety of food and the pastries were delicious. My hotel overlooked the bay but was partially obstructed by one of the wings of the hotel. The hotel clerk smartly informed me of this at check in and offered an alternative. The obstruction was inconsequential and really didn't detract from the view all that much. Since I worked all day long, this was not a bother or that important to me as a business traveler. I recommend this hotel over all the others in Dar Es Salaam.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with an unobstructed view of the bay
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business