All reviews double tree oysters pool area main building business trip enjoyed my stay rooms are spacious sea view nice pool breakfast buffet is comfortable stay indian ocean slipway tanzania dar gym internet
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I was finishing up a work stint in DAR and had to move out of my apartment early, so I stayed at the Doubletree for 10 days. First I have to comment that the beds are some of the nicest I have ever slept in. Great pillows, great sheets, great mattresses. Also, it is a really good thing they only give the free cookie when you check in because they are very decadent, but quite a treat. The doubletree is located on the water, so when the tide is in, or even out, there are nice views from the property. It is also next to Slipway, a collection of shops and restaurants, and bank, that you can walk to...Staff was very responsive and helpful to inquires. They have a very small gym, but worked well enough ( 1 bike, 2 treadmills, 1 strange elliptical, free weights)...pool area is nice, grounds are well maintained. 8-10 TV channels....breakfast was good, but I would recommend going out to dinner, as the food was okay, but higher end prices for DAR, though room service was always prompt. Wifi is free, though at times spotty and a little slower than the mobile modem I was using before ( though can't complain too much-as it was free) All in all I had a wonderful stay, and will miss it.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views ( mine didn't) but I think they cost more, so up to you. Otherwise the normal ones are large and nice.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Emily F
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Good service, excellent business facilities, clean tidy rooms, good restaurant and as good a location as you can find in Dar

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Colin L
Reviewed 12 September 2011

So the pizzas in the bar were good ... (and I went with an Italian) and they arrived in less than 40 minutes. Actually the fun started in reception, when they told me I had no room. Then they kindly gave me someone else's room (fortunately the person was out, but their baggage was in ... ). Finally I got a room - and it had a nice view of the pool. The road to the hotel was a bit like something out of a futuristic horror film - and one of my friends advised not to walk around after dark - since one of his friends was nearly put in the sea. However, in general the hotel was clean and tidy, and as long as you don't need anything doing its fine. I wouldn't recommend staying there though - there must be better places

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank GenevaBeaver
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We were very disappointed to arrive at the hotel and be told that the type of room we had booked and paid for (King sized bed with sea view) was unavailable, the only room with a view available was with twin beds and a balcony, the view being over the swimming pool as opposed to the sea. The hotel is clean and spacious offering everything you need for a business trip. The swimming pool is not enormous but as it was rarely being used it wasn't too much of a problem. We found the service at the outside bars and eating areas slow, in the majority of cases we had to go and find a waiter to order and ultimately to pay for drinks and meals. Beds are comfortable, airconditioners effective and all amenities that you would expect of a Hilton hotel made for an enjoyable stay. Allow plenty of time to get to the airport, it took us 2.5 hours!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank SANDJAW
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed here for one night at the beginning of our holiday and it was perfect for a quick stop over before going on to our Safari in Selous.

It took about half an hour from the airport in a taxi.

The service was brilliant, the staff were friendly. The room was very comfortable and huge and had everything we needed. The pool area was impressive and the restaurant at the end of the pontoon looked lovely (we weren't allowed down there because of a function). We had pizza but I think there was other food available but that wasn't really clear and no one explained how the different areas were sectioned off.

We didn't have time to look around the area because we were only there for one night. I don't think there is very much around there though - however, this is just based on our taxi journey.

Overall, perfect for a quick stop over. We are not really resort people so I don't think we would have enjoyed our stay as much if we were there for a long time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple