See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 April 2015

This is a great place to stay in Tangier, right in the heart of the old town near the Kasbah. You can walk to all the major attractions within 15 mins.

There are two floors, each with 2 bedrooms (1 double, 1 single). Each floor also has a small lounge area and bathroom. And there is a balcony and roof terrace with superb views across the city. It's an old house, but beautifully renovated and decorated, with interesting works of art. We rented both floors for a party of 5. There is also a balcony area and roof terrace with superb views across the city.

Olivier and Hachim are perfect hosts, very welcoming and helpful, and they provide a lovely breakfast. Our ferry was cancelled and they were very understanding and we were able to stay an extra night. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 12 February 2015

A perfect guesthouse in which to transition from Morocco to Spain! Located In a quiet residential neighbourhood yet minutes away from the medina and restaurants. Easy to find thanks to a map provided in advance by email. Our first floor room was well appointed with what we consider to be essential (bedside tables on each side of the bed with good lights, two landing spots for our cases, and comfortable bed with good linens and duvet). A bonus was the private patio off our room...ideal for an afternoon snooze! Beverages are available for sale in house...we enjoyed a bottle of Moroccan rosé--1/2 the first day and the other 1/2 the next--on the rooftop terrace at sundown listening to our last Moroccan calls to prayer. This feels like a European guesthouse but with Moroccan touches, e.g. beautiful handwoven fabrics and carpets. Both our hosts were warm and friendly. My only regret is that we couldn't have a decent conversation (my French is very rudimentary). I would have loved to have heard the stories behind the diverse pieces of art on display in every room. Breakfasts were plentiful, and included fresh fruit (strawberries one day and raspberries the next), yogurt, cheese, and fresh local breads and jams. We were planning to take a taxi to the ferry terminal but ended up walking there in less than 20 minutes by walking through the medina (via Petit Socco).

Room Tip: If you find stairs difficult, the room on the first floor would be your best bet.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet A
Reviewed 8 December 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed on the first floor (which to Americans would be the second floor), and the living space (including the bedrooms) was quite spacious. We had access to our own balcony as well as to the terrace that sits atop the building, which has a terrific view of the city. The bathroom was gorgeous, very modern, with an unenclosed shower; the bedrooms have comfortable beds and satisfactory sheets and comforters. Additionally, Olivier and his partner, Hisham, hold an extensive French-language library of Moroccan writers (Mrabet, etc.) as well as everyone's favorite American author: Paul Bowles. (I tried reading Choukri's "Paul Bowles: Le Reclus de Tanger," but only made it to page 20 given my poor understanding of French.) Both hosts are enthusiastic about the culture of Tangier and make it a point to describe to their guests the attractions of the city and indicate which restaurants, cafes, etc. are best... The only real disappointment of the whole experience was that the breakfast (included in the price of a room) that other travellers had raved about was only fair, to be honest. The breads and assorted jams were pretty good, but the fruits and coffee...well, I will refrain from commenting on. It is nice, though, that the hosts offer refreshments (such as beer and wine) on site at a relatively modest price and thoughtfully gave us complimentary olives and cheese. (One word of "warning": be advised that Olivier does not speak English...an endearing trait on a good day; but when one is hungover, perhaps a different story.)

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2014

Thx for your warm welcome! Great accomodation with an amazing Tanger's bay view. Close to the historic centre (5 minutes walking from the medina and the kasbah). Nice traditional moroccan breakfast!!!
Just PERFECT!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2014

This is a guest house, not a riad. It is conveniently located, close to Kasbah. It has a nice terrace, as most houses and riads do in Morocco. The room is clean and spacious. This guesthouse has the most strict check in rule. Check in time is 3:00 pm and I arrived around 1:30 pm after my long trip from another city. I was not allowed to access my room even though the room was ready and available. I had to stay in the reception area or wander on the street until check in time. Check out time is 11:00 am which is earlier than most check out time. The people in the guest house speak very limited English and difficult to communicate with. The room was not sound proof at all, I could hear noise from the neighbor until 3:00 am in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Sharon X
Olivier D, Propriétaire at Tanger Chez Habitant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2014

I do not understand your comment. Why choose our home if the time was not suitable? They were well yet specified on the booking site! And during your stay we did not say anything ..... so why be rude now?