All reviews owner peter roof terrace atlas mountains orange cake cooking class tagine smallest room other guests home from home the hustle and bustle yogurt plunge pool tucked away busy medina peace and quiet the perfect place to stay our night stay
Reviewed 4 November 2017

My partner and I stayed for one week in Dar Zaman at the end of October. This charming, small riad is the perfect respite from the hustle and bustle of the Marrakech souks. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel part of the Dar Zaman family, by Peter, Hassan, Yassine & Karima. Their service & attention is second to none - you would not find better service at any hotel/guesthouse. I cannot recommend Dar Zaman enough. Hassan & Yassine - the day & night managers of the Riad, are so personable and show genuine care and attention to their guests. They helped arrange our day trips out of Marrakech, and helped with reservations at restaurants & hammam/spas with no trouble at all. I would recommend anyone who stays at Dar Zaman to enjoy dinner there, at least once - their Chicken Tagine is the best we tasted in Marrakech. I am counting down the days until we return to this paradise!

Room Tip: We stayed in La Baignoire - the only room with a bathtub at Riad Dar Zaman. Didn't see the other rooms but La Baignoire is great.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2017

We've just recently returned from four nights at Riad Dar Zaman and could not have enjoyed it more. First of all, it's a small hotel - only four rooms, and ours was on the top terrace (the stairs are relatively steep and there are plenty of them so not ideal if you have limited mobility). Our room was small but very comfortable and had good air conditioning to take the edge off the high outside temperatures.
The hotel is tucked away down a maze of narrow streets, around three minutes walk from where a taxi or transfer drops you. We arrived at night and it was a combination of confusing and unnerving, being taken down these dark alleyways. Once through the front door though and it could not have been more welcoming. Greeted with fresh mint tea and never-ending kindness.
Part of the joy of our stay was Hassan. It's not that any of the other staff were unfriendly or unhelpful - quite the opposite in fact, as everyone was incredibly welcoming - but Hassan stood out. On our first morning, he sat us down with a map and gave us a full Marrakech induction, pointing out the great places to go and see, the best places to eat and drink, and the best sights and experiences. His map became a treasured item and his advice invaluable, not least for keeping some of the more persistent hawkers at bay. In short, his help made the trip. One unintended consequence though was that he warned us of "boys who would try and trick us" by getting us lost or claiming museums were closed; on more than one occasion, within 100 metres of the riad, we would take another wrong turn, and the local boys would tell us (very politely) that Dar Zaman was the other way - we ignored them as we thought it was a trick, but it turned out they were being helpful and yes, the riad actually was THAT way!
Other details? Breakfast: good. Fresh and ideal to get you on your way. Beer and wine: available there (some of the time) but very expensive, but booze anywhere in Marrakech was prohibitively expensive; your liver will thank you. Wifi: available but incredibly flakey on the terrace (better on the ground floor). We ate there on our last night as we had an early start the following morning, and the food was good, even if our waiter's English was limited.
Other tips? Data roaming is incredibly expensive so don't bother. Also, Google's offline mapping is disastrous in Marrakech as it simply doesn't cover the labyrinth of back streets. I used CityMaps2Go by Ulmon on the iPhone and it works offline and even mapped the souks pretty well - highly recommended.
We took Hassan's advice and spent our final day out at the Beldi Country Club as the city is pretty intense. He arranged a taxi and it made for a fantastic day of relaxation. I would recommend allowing around £100 for a day out there as it was lovely (that included taxis, entry and good food along with pools and comfortable loungers).
Overall, the place felt safe (by the end of our first day, I was happy to walk around with my DSLR bag clearly visible) and welcoming. Would I go again? Yes, certainly. Would I recommend Dar Zaman? Yes, certainly. It was a brilliant first venture onto African soil that I won't forget! Would I take the kids? No, definitely not unless they were at least ten or over as the streets are too crazy (mopeds, not muggers) and I doubt my nerves would take it!
Oh. One further thing: the early morning call to prayer appears to be played through the world's worst speakers at extraordinary volume for what feels like hours, and by early, I mean early. Perhaps earplugs might have been a good idea for that alone...

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dylanjohn
Reviewed 1 November 2017

My wife and I stayed for a few days in early October. I would echo the more detailed positive reviews of Dar Zaman you can read here. Happy memories of evenings sat around the plunge pool with our achy feet dangling in the cool water and chats with fellow guests and staff.. lovely

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2017

This Riad owned an operated by Peter a British expiate is lovely. A nice location, very pretty, great staff and good food. The is a winning combination. Every night came back and sat in the center court yard with my feet (tired from a day of walking) dangling in the plunge pool. The staff directed us to the neighborhood Hamm for a very authentic rub down. First night we were tired so had dinner at the Riad, it was delicious but turned out to be the most expensive meal we had in Morocco. Definitely recommend this Riad.

Room Tip: Check them out on the web site
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2017

I have recently spent a week at DarZaman. I am an old man and rather doddery! The standard of hospitality and care could not be greater, It is an excellent hotel; delightful rooms; carefully planned bathrooms; superb food and above all superb care for the Guests.
Peter, the owner, Hassan, in charge in the daytime, Yasine, on the evening and night shift and an excellent cook could not have done more to make my stay the best possible.
I thoroughly recommend this Riad to all ages.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo