2,419 results
All reviewschurchill barwinston churchillbeautiful hotelitalian barbest hotels in the worldmoroccan restaurantluxury hotelgardens are beautifultennis courtsfour seasonsindoor poolan oasisatlas mountainsthe hustle and bustlemint teaspaterrace
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I recently had a 4-night stay at this legendary property, and its decor and ambiance was unique and special: a great blend of traditional Moroccan and contemporary style. Room was not big but very well appointed. Service, while good, did not measure up to similar class of top Asian hotels.

My biggest issue was with the wifi connection, which was problematic throughout my stay, working for maybe 2-3 minutes before stopping. I called for help every day, but the resolution was temporary, and one day was just told that there was a problem not just in the hotel but in the surrounding area. On the last day, another technician came to my room with a router/signal amplifier, which didn't solve the problem. After another 10 minutes, he finally decided to hook up my laptop via a cable, which finally solved the problem. He told me wifi in this hotel is always problematic, especially if lots of guests log on at the same time. I just wished they had offered to connect me via cable on day 1.

I had a 2-hr "Hamman Royale" treatment at their spa, which consisted of 1-hr of gommage with savon noir and application of body mud mask and facial mask, followed by a 1-hr relaxation massage with hot stone and scented oil. It was good but unremarkable and paled in comparison, again, to top Asian spas.

I ate at both their Italian and French restaurants, and the food was of very high quality. Service was good but not top-notch. Example: I had explained at the outset of the meal that I do not eat meat or meat products such as bouillon or consomme, the head waiter seemed to understand perfectly and instantly my requirements. At the end of the meal, when the mignardises arrived after the dessert, consisting of 3 items, I was suspicious that some may contained gelatin, which is a meat-derivative, and so I inquired about that and was told that one item did contain gelatin. Fortunately I asked, but I would have thought that they would have given us items that were vegetarian to begin with. Finally, after explaining that the one item had gelatin, I was just told what not to eat. A world-class establishment would have apologized, removed the plate and then returned with a plate consisting of entirely vegetarian items.

The check-in process took forever, with the staff making iterative trips to the front desk to photocopy our passports, etc. The friendly staff took us up to our room and launched into a rehearsed (but barely intelligible) standard speech about the hotel history and features in general, without answering my questions. Once in the room, he proceeded to explain the features, focusing on obvious ones but ignoring the most important point: how to work the light switches! We are well-traveled and used to hotel gadgets, but it took us more than an hour, wondering how the lighting is so dark and limited, before realizing the light switches (two different types) are actually dimmer and need to be held down to control the brightness. The dimmer controls are not intuitive, as the light switches are retro-chic and non consistent. Even with full brightness, the room can be dim at night.

The hotel has its own extensive gardens and potager, lovely for a stroll. However, both times we walked around the gardens, we were greeted with an unpleasant smell, as workers were applying fertilizers on the ground. Still, it was impressive.

Their Churchill bar has nice ambiance and very expensive drinks. Breakfast buffet spread (by the pool) was extensive and of good quality. No issue having hot chocolate made with soy milk.

The location is convenient, only a 10-min walk to the main square and bazaar for shopping.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sfvoyage
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Firstly, allow me to say in all fairness that La Mamounia is a wonderful hotel, with fantastic ambience and the piano bar was excellent place to chill and relax. The decor in hotel and the setup of the gardens were all immaculate.

However, there is a big problem regarding to getting out of the hotel. The doormen initially appeared helpful in getting us a taxi, having done so, we were informed by both the taxi and the doormen that there is a flat rate of 100 dirhams ~ 10 Euros for taxis picking up passengers from the hotel, regardless of the very short distance we were going. Just for reference, taxi rates for such a distance is typically 1.5-2 Euros. The principle behind that is very disturbing. The fact that the doormen verified the taxi driver's story was disturbing, if indeed the hotel's core values should be to look out for it's customers. I have never heard of taxi drivers charging differently just because one is staying at a good hotel, not unless it is a special limo or taxi for non-regular purposes.

I hope the hotel can do something about it, or at least advice the customers more appropriately
e.g if you take a short walk away from the entrance hotel, the taxi's would have to take you at regular rates.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tanpc3
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We didn't stay here but we did come to check it out and found it very beautiful and picturesque. Proved to be a great escape from the chaos of the Medina, we enjoyed sitting in the garden terrace and having a refreshing beer in the late afternoon. It is a little pricey about €11 for a beer but worth the retreat. We also ate at the Moroccon restaurant here one night it was good but very overpriced. Definitely this hotel is worth seeing wether you stay for a drink in the garden or not.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Angelie_yvr
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We stayed at La Mamounia for 4 nights in August and had a truly wonderful time. The grounds are stunning and overall, the service was very good. Although it was a bit slow in the outdoor bar - which was surprising given the hotel was fairly quiet.

The hotel is situated in a great location - only a few mins walk to the medina, but far enough away from the crowds that you can chill out and relax if you want to.

We stayed in a park suite overlooking the gardens. The room more than lived up to our expectations and was definitely worth the upgrade. We had 2 balconies, a sitting area, 2 loos a huge bedroom and bathroom. I've never seen such sunning decor - the pictures don't do it justice.

The SPA was pure luxury, I had the most relaxing massage ever!

I would definitely recommend booking on a B&B basis. Breakfast, was buffet style which offered an extensive range of delicious hot and cold food from pastries to eggs benedict and kept us full till dinner most days. The poolside service was excellent and the snacks were very tasty - especially the chicken salad which tasted wonderful due to the home grown herbs from the hotel's garden.

The pool was magnificent and a definite plus point if you are travelling in August as it's 47 degrees during the day.

In summary I would recommend this hotel if you’re looking for a luxurious break, in beautiful surroundings with all of the finery that you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank woodsyKent
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We have stayed at the Mamounia several times before renovation. The Mamounia has been our savior each time we planned to stay elsewhere in Marrakech. Rented a ryad in the Medina once: catastrophe, ended up at the Mamounia, went to a boutique hotel in the Palmeraie: catastrophe: ended up at the Mamounia. Now I know that in Marrakech it’s Mamounia or nothing.

People complaining about the service, or saying this hotel is not the top anymore? We are not talking about the same place. It’s true that the former employees remembered us and were so happy to see us back that they were more than kind, even offered us the desert at the French restaurant as a welcome back. Everybody was wonderful, absolutely everybody from the moment we were greeted with almond milk and dates, till the moment they put our luggage into the car for departure. I can’t even list all the little attentions and details that pleased us. And for that amount of staff (750 people at your service) I believe that he price of the room is not that expensive.

I love Jacques Garcia’s decoration even if the general remark is the darkness => not very photogenic if you want to take pictures of yourself inside. Room was great, I can’t even talk about the quality of the bed and the Porthault bed sheets!!! The best sleep I had in a hotel for a while. Acoustics are good if you are not unlucky enough to be neighbors with a hysterical American woman who spends her time yelling at her companion (fortunately they left…).

As for the food, it is true that it’s a bit expensive. The breakfast buffet is beautiful and you regret you just can’t eat all they have to offer. Service was remarkable, they tried to anticipate all our needs.
The French restaurant was delicious (entrée great, main course good and desert out of this world) . The Italian was great for lunch: the deserts were so amazing we wanted to go back, but for lunch they alternate the opening of the French and Italian restaurant. For diner both are open. So we had to go back to the Italien in the evening and this was my only disappointment. The menu was different and double priced for the same quality. I didn’t understand why we’d be paying more just because it’s the evening. They didn’t have the ingredients for the desert I wanted (figs) so I had to chose another one which ended up being disappointing. All in all for that diner I felt I just threw 150 EU through the window.
We also had Morrocan food served in our room and it was just as great as it was in my souvenir. Bar is great and I’m so happy they opened the little Menzeh pavilion for ice creams and pastries as the Mamounia cornes de gazelles are the best in the world. They were even nice enough to prepare some for us to take away when we left.

The pool is gorgeous, huge. The gardens are among the most beautiful on earth. I do wish they were even more severe with ugly tourists wandering around. If you want to see the top just please dress the part.
The Mamounia hotel will always be in our hearts, it’s paradise on earth and we are counting the days till we get back there.

PS: for dog owners, not tried this time because our dog died but in the past our dog was always very well welcomed and he loved the park. It seems it's still the case because they even have a menu for dogs.

Room Tip: We always take a park view room as it's quieter than the pool view rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family