All reviews master suite boutique hotel pavilion room the main house few negatives sun loungers private terrace central marrakesh great pool after midnight other guests beautiful oasis free shuttle star service away from the hustle and bustle atlas mountains moroccan pancakes
Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

Arrived in the evening and stepped out into Menara airport feeling quite excited. It was my 20th wedding anniversary celebration. The air was chilly but I am hopeful for warm weather in the day. I am so glad Dar Nanka offers complimentary airport transfers.

The drive took 20 - 30 mins but it was difficult to take in scenery for some of the way because it was dark. The street lights are out just a little before the turn off to Dar Nanka so we could not tell where we were. You could not see the entrance of the hotel either as it was on the side of the car park.

The driver led us to the lobby where you immediately take in the lovely scent of candles. It was dimly lit but it lends itself to the soft ambience and ornate decor.

It was a tricky start at check in. I booked a packaged holiday through British Airways and chose the master suite (best room in the hotel). For this, I paid top price. Mr and Mrs Smith's boutique hotel agency is then appointed to make the booking but instead have booked us in another room (specifically the one I marked a big NO from the website choices). This is something I will take up with the agency but my advice is to double check preferences and room choice with any hotel directly.

Rudi the manager dealt with the issue the best way he could but he could only offer us our originally booked room the next day. Because I was a little upset about the rooms, he made a promise to make sure I had the best holiday. In time, he didn't fail to do just that:)

Meanwhile, we had to choose between 3 rooms in the 'Pavillion' which is a separate building from the hotel itself. I was not taken by the 'Black' room because as the name suggests, the decor is predominately that colour. The 'Brown' room again is self explanatory but it had art pieces including a big head sculpture, I personally was not comfortable sleeping next to. The 'Grey' room was left and we took it.

Unfortunately, the shower head in the open bathroom was not in its best state and so with a power shower, water ended up everywhere. The TV, Booster box and DVD player were not plugged in and I had to fiddle with wires and tune channels. There isn't a phone, mini bar or coffee/tea making facilities either.

Had dinner in the restaurant and the food was delicious. Cocktails were good!! Waiting staff were lovely and courteous. There was a kitten who roamed about the hotel and sits with sympathetic guests who feeds it on/off the table.

I got my bearings in the morning when I could actually see the hotel and it's grounds. I was not disappointed.
Dar Nanka has a beautiful setting with the gardens adorned with fruit trees and rose bushes and art sculptures in and around the hotel.

Breakfast was continental with minimal choices but it was good enough to start my day.

We went out to Medina (about 15-20 mins away) courtesy of the hotel taxi shuttle there and back. When we came back, we were given the master suite in the main building which was grand in size, included a jacuzzi, private terrace that wound round to the terraces of the other rooms, a lounge area with comfy leather armchairs and work space. A truly majestic room. Shame the shower was running on tepid water.

The swimming pool area is ample for the number of guests. Has an obligatory bar adjacent to the pool. There is also table tennis and boules.

The spa is a separate company from the hotel but is literally next door. You can easily book when you are there. It has minimal facilities but the massages I found very relaxing. You have to make payment there and not through the hotel.

One has to understand the concept of Dar Nanka and what type of experience it is offering. Irrespective of the opulence of the hotel, it is like a home away from home. Without the modern amenities in the bedrooms like most hotels, it forces you to come into the lobby, bar and other lovely seating areas and interact with other guests and hotel staff. It is so laid back, some guests are even lying down on sofas talking, singing, laughing etc. The owner is milling around himself and it feels like he is making sure his guests are happy. Rudi the manager is great at his job and his charming personality makes you feel you will be looked after well. He is also very good at making recommendations for places of interests and restaurants to dine in. We ate and danced at a fabulous place called Bo-Zin, 10 minutes away from the hotel.

I loved Dar Nanka for what it is. In my view, it is a warm family home with wonderful staff and I would not hesitate to go back ❤️

Please click on helpful if this review has helped in any way. Thank you x I am happy to answer any questions you may have about the hotel x

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fussytraveller75
Rudi H, Responsable commercial at Dar NanKa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2016

Dear Guest,

Home is a feeling ... not a place.
You've got the key.
Dar Nanka is your home.
See you soon !

Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

I'm a long time Tripadvisor lurker, but this is the first time I've been moved to write a mini review. First off it's lovely you get free transfers and the welcome on arrival to the beautiful venue is class.

When you walk in you are greeted with fantastic art work, a mix of classic French, modern local pieces and beautiful portraits of local people and cosy log fires. The style extends to the rooms which are beautifully furnished. The rose garden on site means fresh blooms everywhere, the smell is out of the world.

The food was great, breakfasts were simple and set you up for the day, while the evening meal a la carte menu had us often skipping the souks to get back and see what tasty creation was coming out from the guys in the kitchen.

It sounds corny, but it really is the people that make me want to come back. The two hosts, Curt and Rudi are bloody nice chaps, really chilled, and along with the rest of the staff have so much local knowledge, the best restaurants, bars, souk tips and spas. Thanks guys, you made Sara and my trip very memorable. Big love to Liam the kitten as well.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Rudi H, Responsable commercial at Dar NanKa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2016

Dear Guests,

Many thanks for your message.
Home away home!
Make that place yours ... You've got the keys.
See you soon at your home ... Dar Nanka!

Reviewed 22 October 2016

We were really pleased to be met at the airport by our free shuttle and were so glad to be offered some breakfast on arrival at 1130am - we were starving! We weren't expecting to be able to check-in until 3pm but we were shown to our room about 30 minutes after we'd arrived (12pm) which was brilliant. Our room was the small Chocolate room which had a great bed. As other people have noted, the hotel is beautifully designed. The downstairs lounges, pools, bars and seating areas are divine! The owner and manager went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. The owner even brought her TV boxset from home so that my husband could watch a big football match on our last night. The spa was also fantastic - one of the most rigorous and satisfying massages I’ve ever had!

Unfortunately there were a few things that let it down for us:
- there was no iron in the room but we could hand our clothes over to be ironed for us. Whilst this sounds great, unfortunately, on our last day, my husband had to wait more than an hour to get a shirt ironed so we would've preferred to have an iron in the room available to use.
- the WiFi worked well for me on nearly all days except one morning. On the other hand, my husband had intermittent problems with the WiFi throughout the stay.
- I asked the owner what time breakfast was served and she said it doesn't matter, that we'd be able to have breakfast at any time we woke up. One day I went down to get some breakfast at 11.40am (just as breakfast was being put away) and unfortunately, the waiter was not very accommodating so we had to miss breakfast that day :(
- the shower is really bad in the Chocolate room - there is hardly any pressure, the water is tepid and dirty water does not wash down the drain quickly. We would have reported this to management at the time but (due to the issues above) we felt like we had been complaining a lot and so didn't want to cause further issues.

Overall it was a great stay but not without its drawbacks (also, bring mosquito spray!)

Room Tip: Chocolate room is quite small and shower is awful
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hirra A
Reviewed 21 August 2016

We had an amazing experience at Dar Nanka. The hotel is beautiful and the staff/owners excellent. They were so attentive to our needs and their recommendations were perfect. The grounds are lovely and the interior design is so fabulous. For those who love small boutique hotels, this is ideal. We will go back!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2016

I recently booked my second visit to Dar Nanka, this time staying for ten nights, as a special treat and some 'wind down'time from my stressful job in the public sector. For that reason, as a solo traveller, I was keen to have some 'escape' space and so splashed out and booked the Master Suite with its own terrace. I am so glad I did! As Rudi (Manager) states, this small, boutique, luxury hotel is an oasis of peace and tranquility, set in lush gardens with a beautiful pool and on-site spa. Why, therefore, are children welcomed?? For the entire 10 days of my stay, the peace was shattered by one small boy (aged about 6) who monopolised the pool and who was in the main ignored by his parents who obviously just wanted to sunbathe. So keen was the boy to attract the attention of his parents that the shouts of 'Papa, Papa' rang out constantly prior to him leaping into the pool.
Consequently, for me, the pool was a no-go area until about 6pm each day. Thank heavens for iPod!
I realise that I may have just been unlucky but, based on my previous stay, I had hoped that my visit would have been the perfect antidote to my job. Not so, sadly.
On the positive: Staff and Rudi are fabulous - nothing is too much trouble. Food is delicious and available whenever guests desire.
Despite the comments above, I will return to DarNanKa as it is beautiful, but probably not until I see the heavenly phrase 'Adults Only' in the description. I cannot afford to take the risk again.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo