See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

I was unprepared for what it would be like staying in a riad in Marrakech, so that may have coloured my experience. However, the clever photography did make me think this place was going to be much bigger than it was.

Our arrival didn't go to plan as we were robbed on the street approaching the riad - an apparently common occurrence to be wary of - and neither the guide directing us through the medina to the riad (this assistance is pretty common and sometimes hard to say no to!) nor the riad staff offered any assistance or reassurance.

The process of checking in seemed to take a long time but this may be due to our late arrival and we were eventually shown to our room by a very friendly and attentive member of staff.

The room was much smaller than anticipated but comfortable. The bathroom was a nice size but with only a shower when I had expected the a full size bath as well (based on the room type I'd chosen), so it is worth checking this when you book if that's important.

Breakfast was lovely and definitely filling, and made all the difference after a difficult first night in Marrakech!

I would not return to this riad but if you are looking for somewhere extremely well located, don't care for a particularly large room and want to use a hot tub, it could very well be the place for you.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Carllian, Directeur général at Riad Carllian, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2017

We were very surprised to read your comment on what happened to you on the way to the riad. After questioning all staff, no one heard about your complaint. On the other hand, we have been located here for 10 years and we never had a problem, neither with any customer, nor with the staff.This is the first time we hear about that. I am really sorry for you, and I want to make it clear that this does not seem to us to be normal. The medina of Marrakech is rather well secured and we circulate freely there. The young guides who accompany you want only a few dirhams to make a living, but I understand that this may surprise you. All over the world, there may be pick pockets, this is not particular in Marrakech.
Regarding the room, you have booked the Lotus room, which is the cheapest and all the photos presented are contractual. It is stated on the card of the room, on the site EXPEDIA, that it is indeed a bathroom with shower. So I do not understand your point.
Our establishment is a riad and not a classic hotel, and we do not use any wide angle photograph so as not to deceive our customers.
I regret your misadenture.
Best regards
Frédérqiue, General Manager

Reviewed 8 December 2016 via mobile

It was wet and cold in Marrakesh and the hot tub in the suite was just what we needed. It's a beautiful Riad with many amenities.
The bed was enormous and it was nice to have a TVs and a heater in the room.

Stayed: December 2016
1  Thank WanderingShannon
Reviewed 9 May 2016

We stayed at this riad for 3 nights and were very impressed with the comfort, services, food and location in the Medina. The manager Fouzia and all the staff were very accommodating and friendly and they made sure that all our needs were met. This is first rate accommodation for a budget-minded traveller and I highly recommend staying at this location.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank David D
Reviewed 16 April 2016

I cannot say enough good things about this Riad. The only negative was that I found it hard to find; however, I was unaware just how worthless online maps are in Marrakesh. Had we had a paper map, I think we would have been just fine. They also offer a transfer service from the airport, so perhaps take that when you arrive to ensure you find your way. In any case, the staff is so sweet, welcoming, and helpful. The breakfast, while listed as "continental breakfast," is anything but. It is gigantic and absolutely delicious. We loved our time at Riad Carllian, and I'd certainly recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky C
Reviewed 2 December 2015

I went to Marrakesh with two of my daughters, (14 and 8) between the 23-27 of December 2014 to get away from Christmas, which we don't celebrate. What better way to do that then to stay in a Muslim country!

I was a bit apprehensive after reading reviews which warned that the airport officials treated black people from the UK badly because they didn't believe they were really British and that their passports were fake. I warned the kids that I may get rough treatment.

Thankfully nothing of the sort occurred. The security searches/scan was respectful and friendly. When I came off the plane, there was an official waiting on the tarmac who gave me a warm welcome. There was a huge crowd at the small airport because of the length of time the official took to examine each passport carefully and to check that the tourist cards had been completed fully.

When we came out to the arrivals, my private car transfer (which was arranged by Riad Carllian) driver was holding a card with my 15 year old's name written back to front on it. We got in the car and the driver was friendly and informative. We got to the main square and the driver explained he could not drive us to the riad because the square closes to traffic in the afternoon. It was now dark and late evening. The driver got out without explanation and left us there for a few minutes which felt like hours. I was scared and disorientated, the square was very busy and all sorts of things were going through my mind, including being hijacked! The girls appeared calm.

The driver at last returned with an elderly local man which he said would help and get us to our riad. We walked through the souks and eventually reached a long narrow alley-way where other riads were. We arrived at Riad Carllian, rang the bell and was relieved to find inside, a nice property out of touch with the street. My teenager remarked how surprised she was. I felt sorry for the elderly man who was wheeling our cabin-sized suitcases in the wheelbarrow. I gave him 100 dirhams and he was very pleased. I learnt later that amount was for a full days work.

The was a young man who didn't speak much English who I tried to communicate that we wanted something to eat as it was between 8 and 9pm. He gave us something to eat and some tin drinks. He seemed the only staff available that night.

When we got to our rooms (the girls shared their own) we were quite pleased. There was a high-tech ventilator system/heater, a separate shower, separate toilet and a Jacuzzi bath, with luxury wash area. The main room was large, with a plasma screen that showed English channels. There was a Jacuzzi on the roof top, with interesting views of other riad roof-tops and of the city. The girls loved going up there to chill and to play. Although it can get quite cold in the evenings at that time of the year, around 8C, during the afternoon and early evening, it would reach the early 20s, with sunny blue skies. There is Arabic chanting on loud speakers blaring out from the city, starting from about 5am. You get used to it.

A highlight of Riad Carllian was that there was not a set time for breakfast/dinner. You chose whenever you wanted to eat. There was a different choice of breakfast/meal each day, with the delicious mint tea. Although the mainly female staff spoke little English, apart from the main supervisor for the riad, they were very friendly and helpful. The main supervisor on site, whose name I have forgotten, and the English speaking French owner of the riad, Frederique, was very helpful and informative. They advised me how to haggle down the price for a horse-carriage tour around Medina and what price I should be paying. Riad Carllian's location is excellent. It is right in the centre of Marrakech, directly off the souks market. You are staying and surrounded by the locals.

The riad organised a day-trip to Casablanca for us which worked out to be around £50 which had to be paid in cash with local currency. It was a six hour round trip. The driver didn't speak much English but the man next to him spoke passable English. However, a man with very good English called the man next to the driver and spoke to me to make sure we were alright and where we can go in Casablanca. Wherever we wanted to go in that city, the driver would take us there. The kids asked to go to McDonalds which we did. It was a nice branch on the rocky beach front. We visited the rocky beach and one of city's main shopping complex which had a massive cylindrical fish tank. We also visited a massive but beautiful mosque. Xmas caught up with me in the shopping complex, as they had a reindeer presentation, complete with raining fake snow and the Mariah Carey Xmas song! Ah well!

Stayed: January 2015