“Relaxing, but they had issues with the water!”

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #106 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing, but they had issues with the water!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Spent four says at the resort, the food, service and room were great. Enjoyed using the gym, indoor pool and walking in the amazing gardens. On my second day there was no water for the whole day in my room from when I woke until 8pm so was slightly annoying, however I still enjoyed my stay. Paid for a treatment at the spa and thought it was brilliant, worth it if you want a treat. If you get a local taxi back from the main square in town make sure you make it very clear which resort you going back too, several other people I spoke to had also been tricked into being taken to the sister hotel Riu garden and then charged more to get to the Palmeraie. Four days was enough, would return but not in high season, would be too busy. Quite a lot of couples, but also a random mix of other people

Room Tip: 1st Floor, not facing the pool if you want peace, they play music at the pool all day.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,294)
  • Turkish first
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed for four (4) nights at this hotel as part of a 65th birthday surprise for my husband. This was our first time to Marrakesh and Morocco, and to a RIU hotel (courtesy of Thomsons Platinum holidays). The location of the hotel is about 45 minutes from the airport and on the outskirts of Marrakesh. The hotel does run a (return) courtesy bus into Marrakesh at frequent times during the day and early evening.

Before we left the UK, I emailed the hotel to ask if we could possibly have a room overlooking the pool or the mountains. When we arrived, the room we were allocated was in Block 500 (containing rooms 5001-5164). Not only was the view overlooking the pool, but the mountains as well.

The hotel facilities are laid out within lovely garden walks interspersed with ponds and fountains (and a 'herb' garden). The hotel has a fully equipped fitness centre, spa and indoor pool, children's club, outdoor pool and bars. There are several bars around the hotel, both indoors and outdoors. There is an animation team on-site and they were very friendly and helpful, although their show in the "La Scène" whilst we were there could do with a bit more continuity and polish.

There are three restaurants within the hotel - "Le Tikida" (International), "El Nakheel" (Moroccan) and "Le Trattoria" (Italian). The food in "Le Tikida" was excellent both in choice and presentation as I am a very fussy eater. I was able to find several choices at each mealtime, and the food was always HOT! As part of the birthday surprise for my husband, I booked a meal at "La Trattoria". The table was decorated in petals, an ice bucket containing a bottle of champagne (courtesy of Thomsons). The food here was also excellent both in choice and presentation. At the end of the meal, the staff presented my husband with a birthday cake. Unfortunately, we never tried "El Nakheel" during our stay, but no doubt the experience would have been as good as the other two restaurants.

During our stay (and because it was only a short stay), we did not venture into Marrakesh as we wanted a relaxing holiday apart from the other part of my husband's birthday surprise - a hot-air balloon ride (by 'Marrakesh-by-Air'). I booked the trip in the UK before we left and it was a lot cheaper than booking in-country. We were picked up at about 5.45am and driven out into the desert for about twenty miles to a Berber house, where we were given breakfast whilst the hot-air balloon preparations were being carried out. Our pilot was Hamid and he was very friendly and comical (without erring from safety). He, along with the fantastic views of the sun rising above the Atlas Mountains helped to make our trip memorable, along with our photos and video. This trip 'ticked a box' of my husband's Wish List so it will not be forgotten in a hurry. As we are both not very keen on camels, and the riding of said animals, we stayed and watched some camels with their young graze, whilst the other three members of our party rode off into the bush for about twenty minutes. After all this, we arrived back at the hotel in time to partake in breakfast and 'chilled out' for the rest of the day poolside.

All-in-all, we had a fabulous break at this hotel, and will not hesitate to return here in the not-so-distant future.

Room Tip: First floor corner rooms in Blocks 400 & 500 for excellent views of the pool area and distant At...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Cliolady
Brighton UK
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and i have just returned from marrakech after spending 3 nights for our wedding anniversary. The hotel is beautiful and the staff very attentive. Our room was large, spotlessly clean with a flat screen tv and fridge containing bottles of water. the balcony was very private and gave a great view of the snow covered Atlas mountains. The only complaint i have about our whole stay was the firmness of the bed, I equated it to sleeping on a table. My husband on the other hand loved it as for him the firmer the better so i suppose its just a choice thing.
The weather was amazing, 25-29c all day, early mornings and evenings were chilly though.

The main restraunt which like most all inclusive's was a help yourself buffett, there was plenty of choice and all of really good quality. Moroccan meat is so tasty and tender.The waiters made sure you were always topped up with wine of your choice and again GOOD quality wine.
We tried the Moroccan restraunt which again was very nice and well worth going.
The cocktails at all the bars were great and strong.... Don't think drinks are watered down in this resort!
Finally it didn't matter wether you tipped or not, the service was great regardless and after spending many a holiday in the caribbean where you feel you have to tip to get served this made a refreshing change. The bar staff were very good keeping an eye on who was next.

Great short break. Great weather. Fantastic hote/staffl. Fantastic food/drinks what more can you ask for! Just go and see for yourself.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank starlight2
Hailsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Where do i start"" we stayed at this great hotel in feb 2012 for my wife's 30th, with my 2 kids from the start we was treated so well till our last day. Customer service was amazing the hotel could not do enough for any of my family, never stayed in a RIU before and it defo wont be the last what a great time we had it was only a short break and so wish it was longer. Every member of staff could not of not done enough for us from the hotel bar staff was loving them cocktails "spring time cooler" can still taste the vodka NOW. They as just so good to my kids even my little one was showing them how to do street dance was soooo funny to see. One thing also i never thought marrakech would be such i friendly place to go except the markets lol. This hotel is massive but there is so much you can do from table tennis, darts pool table, the hotel pools is the biggest i have ever seen but one thing it was very cold i even bet my 12 yr old 50 dirahams to get in ha ha. If you want to be treated like royalty you will not be disapointed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank yid1979
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Stayed here with my wife in February 2012.
The hotel is far away from the city so its nice and quiet but there is nothing round and about so if you enjoy a walk everyday you'll be disappointed as i was.
The hotel complex was very well kept and clean. The facilites including gym, indoor swimming pool and free wifi in reception were very good plus points.
Our room was large, comfortable and very clean. There are 3 or 4 english TV channels including BBC and ITV. The shower and bath were very good.
The slight down side was the catering. The food was good but the selection wasn't varied that much so by night 4 it was a bit 'samey'. In the past I have been to Rui hotels where the food was much better. (Spain and Morocco).
The bars were spacious and comfortable with entertaiment every evening. I would recommend however getting friendly with the bar staff - the amount of alcohol (whisky, gin vodka etc) was determined by who served you and there mood. One chap was incredibly ungenerous and miserbale most of the time!! Aside from this the staff were generally friendly and helpful.
As for the city it wasn't very appealing to me - but is well worth wandering round for a couple of hours one day.
Overall a nice hotel and holiday but Agadir was far better.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple