Review Highlights
The rating, speaks for itself

I think the reviews here, all speak for themselves. We were only here because it was part of our... read more

Reviewed 9 January 2016
1TraveltheWorld
Alice Springs, Australia
Beware-Be Smart

Don't get connect as most of the stuff at Ali's is significantly over priced... Ben is NOT Jewish... read more

Reviewed 6 January 2016
RichardL758
San Francisco, California

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Fes
from US$63.00
from US$231.42
from US$347.13
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 June 2017

I was taken here by a driver and told it was a wonderful place to buy things. The salesman was the most aggressive of all the people I encountered in Fes. Truth be told, I was quite ill at the time and not at my best in terms of dealing with the aggressiveness. I selected a very small lamp to purchase. Never got the purchase price. Turned out he charged me $160 (US) - a TOTAL RIP OFF !! Obviously shouldn't have even been thinking of buying anything given being ill, but the salesman was really really pushy. Buyer please beware in this place !

Date of experience: May 2017
2  Thank JEJ1242
Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

There are two shops with the same name on the same street. I have not been to that which is reviewed here, but to the antique shop. It's stunning. Contained within a substantial former home, this is THE place to buy a gift of value. The owner is a delight as he moves about this vast treasure trove. His product knowledge was unequalled. I purchased a beautiful nineteenth century vase and it was wrapped up expertly for travel. Clearly this business is suffering because of the name confusion. Do go. Oh. And it must have the largest Moroccan lamp you've ever seen.

Date of experience: December 2016
1  Thank NapierAro
Reviewed 17 November 2016

I went back to Ali's after a first visit with a guide, and was "charmed" by Kamal, the salesman, who is likeable and appears trustworthy. The store is gorgeous, and one feels like one is in the presence of genuine artifacts and antiques. I bought 2 pieces of jewelry, allegedly from the 1930s, and was assured that the white stones were diamonds (albeit chips, but real diamonds). But when I got back to Toronto and took the items to a jeweler, I was told they were cubic zircoinia.

Because i was unsure at the time of buying, I even asked the manager to write on the back of the store card what the gems were: he wrote "fragments of diamonds".

I saw many items like these in the souks all over Morocco, but the store owners all readily admitted that the stones weren't genuine. Finding honesty in other jewelers, I foolishly believed that an established shop like Ali's was sure to be reliable.

I was wrong. And I was taken.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THERE. THEY EXPLOIT AND MANIPULATE THE NAIVETY OF TOURISTS. And, of course, back in your own country, there is nothing you can do.

Date of experience: November 2016
3  Thank 327Jill
Reviewed 6 November 2016

We were taken here by a tour guide, and were told that there is 'no pressure to buy anything'. This speech was entirely false, no pressure to buy, but enticing you and making you feel like you've betrayed them if you don't buy a purchase is just as scandalous. The carpets here are way over priced, they began to roll out carpets and list off prices starting at $1200-$1600! I informed them that we're not looking to buy, just enjoy the fine craftsmanship. So, after I made this announcement, he proceeds to pull out carpets that are $800 (as if that's any better). The guide was very involved, telling me that he's never seen prices this low and we're getting an excellent deal. I knew this to be entirely false and was not pleased with his two cents. You are better off purchasing carpets and ceramics (or any souvenirs for that matter) in Essaouira or even Marrakech, because all the prices in Fes are heavily marked up due to the fact that it is 'made there'.
To give an idea, while in Marrakech, the EXACT rugs we saw that were priced at $800, were only $90 - YES, you read that correctly, $90! We purchased a few there, got excellent service and were not followed around like hungry lions.

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed 5 July 2016

I did not purchase anything in this shop nor did I find a hard-sell like other reviewers did. I would not suggest anyone buy a rug there -- because it's not a rug shop at all. And no, the staff I met were not Jewish. But, if you have a good eye, there are some good pieces in this place. ...but you have to have a good eye and you have to be prepared to both a) bargain and b) walk away if the price is too high.

Date of experience: July 2016