“People as fascinating as the art”
Review of Ali s Art Gallery

Ali s Art Gallery
Ranked #79 of 85 things to do in Fes
Reviewed 12 June 2017

You've never seen so much extraordinarily beautiful stuff from so many eras in one place. And let me tell about the man, I think his name is Benjalun, He has a masters in Gender Studies from Rabat, and writes feminist poetry in Arabic. So he told us. Check him out.

1  Thank DaveLipp

Reviewed 7 June 2017

I was taken here by a driver and told it was a wonderful place to buy things. The salesman was the most aggressive of all the people I encountered in Fes. Truth be told, I was quite ill at the time and not at my best in terms of dealing with the aggressiveness. I selected a very small lamp to purchase. Never got the purchase price. Turned out he charged me $160 (US) - a TOTAL RIP OFF !! Obviously shouldn't have even been thinking of buying anything given being ill, but the salesman was really really pushy. Buyer please beware in this place !

2  Thank JEJ1242
Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

There are two shops with the same name on the same street. I have not been to that which is reviewed here, but to the antique shop. It's stunning. Contained within a substantial former home, this is THE place to buy a gift of value. The owner is a delight as he moves about this vast treasure trove. His product knowledge was unequalled. I purchased a beautiful nineteenth century vase and it was wrapped up expertly for travel. Clearly this business is suffering because of the name confusion. Do go. Oh. And it must have the largest Moroccan lamp you've ever seen.

1  Thank NapierAro
Reviewed 17 November 2016

I went back to Ali's after a first visit with a guide, and was "charmed" by Kamal, the salesman, who is likeable and appears trustworthy. The store is gorgeous, and one feels like one is in the presence of genuine artifacts and antiques. I bought 2 pieces of jewelry, allegedly from the 1930s, and was assured that the white stones were diamonds (albeit chips, but real diamonds). But when I got back to Toronto and took the items to a jeweler, I was told they were cubic zircoinia.

Because i was unsure at the time of buying, I even asked the manager to write on the back of the store card what the gems were: he wrote "fragments of diamonds".

I saw many items like these in the souks all over Morocco, but the store owners all readily admitted that the stones weren't genuine. Finding honesty in other jewelers, I foolishly believed that an established shop like Ali's was sure to be reliable.

I was wrong. And I was taken.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THERE. THEY EXPLOIT AND MANIPULATE THE NAIVETY OF TOURISTS. And, of course, back in your own country, there is nothing you can do.

1  Thank 327Jill
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 November 2016

We were taken here by a tour guide, and were told that there is 'no pressure to buy anything'. This speech was entirely false, no pressure to buy, but enticing you and making you feel like you've betrayed them if you don't buy a purchase is just as scandalous. The carpets here are way over priced, they began to roll out carpets and list off prices starting at $1200-$1600! I informed them that we're not looking to buy, just enjoy the fine craftsmanship. So, after I made this announcement, he proceeds to pull out carpets that are $800 (as if that's any better). The guide was very involved, telling me that he's never seen prices this low and we're getting an excellent deal. I knew this to be entirely false and was not pleased with his two cents. You are better off purchasing carpets and ceramics (or any souvenirs for that matter) in Essaouira or even Marrakech, because all the prices in Fes are heavily marked up due to the fact that it is 'made there'.
To give an idea, while in Marrakech, the EXACT rugs we saw that were priced at $800, were only $90 - YES, you read that correctly, $90! We purchased a few there, got excellent service and were not followed around like hungry lions.