“Over priced and con artist”
Review of Ali s Art Gallery

Ali s Art Gallery
Ranked #77 of 86 things to do in Fes
Reviewed 6 November 2016

We were taken here by a tour guide, and were told that there is 'no pressure to buy anything'. This speech was entirely false, no pressure to buy, but enticing you and making you feel like you've betrayed them if you don't buy a purchase is just as scandalous. The carpets here are way over priced, they began to roll out carpets and list off prices starting at $1200-$1600! I informed them that we're not looking to buy, just enjoy the fine craftsmanship. So, after I made this announcement, he proceeds to pull out carpets that are $800 (as if that's any better). The guide was very involved, telling me that he's never seen prices this low and we're getting an excellent deal. I knew this to be entirely false and was not pleased with his two cents. You are better off purchasing carpets and ceramics (or any souvenirs for that matter) in Essaouira or even Marrakech, because all the prices in Fes are heavily marked up due to the fact that it is 'made there'.
To give an idea, while in Marrakech, the EXACT rugs we saw that were priced at $800, were only $90 - YES, you read that correctly, $90! We purchased a few there, got excellent service and were not followed around like hungry lions.

Reviewed 5 July 2016

I did not purchase anything in this shop nor did I find a hard-sell like other reviewers did. I would not suggest anyone buy a rug there -- because it's not a rug shop at all. And no, the staff I met were not Jewish. But, if you have a good eye, there are some good pieces in this place. ...but you have to have a good eye and you have to be prepared to both a) bargain and b) walk away if the price is too high.

Reviewed 17 January 2016

I was not in the market for anything so I can not speak to the value or quality of the items made here. Just ketting to the place is interesting enough. We spoke Arabic and French and no one tried to sell us anything.

We spent about 10 Minutes here at the most. A few pictures is all you will want from this store.

Reviewed 9 January 2016

I think the reviews here, all speak for themselves.

We were only here because it was part of our extended tour within Fes over a few days.

Like many of the shops, sellers and even street stalls, you will be-
let’s say not pressured, but significantly enticed, to buy an over-priced piece of merchandise here.

If you like to bargain, then play their game- what is your best price... no, what is your best price… no, what is….

You will hear all the spiels, so enjoy the show, your free, wine, beer or tea, take a few photo’s and happily go on your merry way.

4  Thank 1TraveltheWorld