“Some incredible Jewish pieces”
Review of Ali s Art Gallery

Ali s Art Gallery
Ranked #78 of 86 things to do in Fes
Reviewed 5 July 2016

I did not purchase anything in this shop nor did I find a hard-sell like other reviewers did. I would not suggest anyone buy a rug there -- because it's not a rug shop at all. And no, the staff I met were not Jewish. But, if you have a good eye, there are some good pieces in this place. ...but you have to have a good eye and you have to be prepared to both a) bargain and b) walk away if the price is too high.

Reviewed 17 January 2016

I was not in the market for anything so I can not speak to the value or quality of the items made here. Just ketting to the place is interesting enough. We spoke Arabic and French and no one tried to sell us anything.

We spent about 10 Minutes here at the most. A few pictures is all you will want from this store.

Reviewed 9 January 2016

I think the reviews here, all speak for themselves.

We were only here because it was part of our extended tour within Fes over a few days.

Like many of the shops, sellers and even street stalls, you will be-
let’s say not pressured, but significantly enticed, to buy an over-priced piece of merchandise here.

If you like to bargain, then play their game- what is your best price... no, what is your best price… no, what is….

You will hear all the spiels, so enjoy the show, your free, wine, beer or tea, take a few photo’s and happily go on your merry way.

4  Thank 1TraveltheWorld
Reviewed 6 January 2016

Don't get connect as most of the stuff at Ali's is significantly over priced... Ben is NOT Jewish, so take most of what you hear with many pounds of salt.....

4  Thank Richard L
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 January 2015

Definitely avoid coming here if you have a problem smiling and saying "no thank you".

There is a pretty simple rule when travelling... if someone you don't personally know takes you to a shop then it is pretty likely that person is going to be getting a kick-back and it is pretty likely the stuff in the shop will be overpriced. Also, if the shop is elaborate then most likely the prices will be too. Same all around the rest of the world.

Whilst the carpets are overpriced and I'm sure the story that comes with them is completely false (i.e. the rugs here are no different to other places and the workers who make them probably only get a tiny portion of the price for them), that doesn't mean you're necessarily getting a raw deal. The shop is beautiful and elaborate (hence the "art gallery" name) and the salesmen are charismatic. Photos are encouraged and you can even see a rug "in the process of being woven" upstairs. If those things don't interest you (or expensive carpets) then just avoid coming here.

The one big advantage to shopping here would be that they have the largest collection of any one shop. If you're not so fussed about price then you will be able to spend the time and find something perfect for you.

We were brought here by guide, looked around, had some conversation (listed to the sales pitch), took photos and left without buying a carpet. I didn't feel pressured any more so than in other shops. In fact I felt a little less pressured because I was brought here by a paid guide so didn't feel as though I owed anyone anything for the visit.

We DID ended up buying carpets elsewhere (one at a smaller shop in Fes and another in Chefchaouen) and the prices were about 25% of the prices here. Yes 25%. I actually think the best places to buy carpets are at the small vendors in the smaller towns (or even road side stops between cities)... definitely saw some great bargains on the way although with minimal choice of designs and wish I had of bought from them instead of waiting for Fes.

1  Thank JM107