“Take photo's, don't buy rugs”
Review of Ali s Art Gallery

Ali s Art Gallery
Ranked #75 of 83 things to do in Fes
Reviewed 31 January 2015

Definitely avoid coming here if you have a problem smiling and saying "no thank you".

There is a pretty simple rule when travelling... if someone you don't personally know takes you to a shop then it is pretty likely that person is going to be getting a kick-back and it is pretty likely the stuff in the shop will be overpriced. Also, if the shop is elaborate then most likely the prices will be too. Same all around the rest of the world.

Whilst the carpets are overpriced and I'm sure the story that comes with them is completely false (i.e. the rugs here are no different to other places and the workers who make them probably only get a tiny portion of the price for them), that doesn't mean you're necessarily getting a raw deal. The shop is beautiful and elaborate (hence the "art gallery" name) and the salesmen are charismatic. Photos are encouraged and you can even see a rug "in the process of being woven" upstairs. If those things don't interest you (or expensive carpets) then just avoid coming here.

The one big advantage to shopping here would be that they have the largest collection of any one shop. If you're not so fussed about price then you will be able to spend the time and find something perfect for you.

We were brought here by guide, looked around, had some conversation (listed to the sales pitch), took photos and left without buying a carpet. I didn't feel pressured any more so than in other shops. In fact I felt a little less pressured because I was brought here by a paid guide so didn't feel as though I owed anyone anything for the visit.

We DID ended up buying carpets elsewhere (one at a smaller shop in Fes and another in Chefchaouen) and the prices were about 25% of the prices here. Yes 25%. I actually think the best places to buy carpets are at the small vendors in the smaller towns (or even road side stops between cities)... definitely saw some great bargains on the way although with minimal choice of designs and wish I had of bought from them instead of waiting for Fes.

1  Thank JM107

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just returned from Morocco and feeling very annoyed to have been conned. Didn't plan to purchase anything so had not researched at all. When visiting this store with a guide I spotted a small floor rug that would be perfect for a room at home and was to be my one special purchase. I did know the game they play which is insulting, and I knew I was paying top dollar but felt I would be a getting quality product, and the workers may be getting better pay than many, being a government controlled store, I was naive. When I expressed my concern about the packing they quickly reassured me how as it was a small rug they were able to fold it tightly and stitch it up into a neat pack and easy to travel with. sounded perfect. The rug I have unwrapped has a fringe on one side and none on the other, just trimmed with no finishing at all. I haven't been able to find a website for them so would appreciate an email address from someone to vent my dissatisfaction at least as it is obvious nothing else can be done.

4  Thank BourkeyM
Reviewed 4 August 2014

On March 21st, our Moroccan tour guide took us to Ali's Art Gallery (Dar Benhayoune) in Fes-Medina. I purchased a rug for 4800 Moroccan ($600 US). The gallery added an extra 0 to the VISA charge making the rug 48000 Moroccan. It refuses to correct the charge and Chase Card Services refuses to correct my VISA billing even though i have a signed Bill of Sale which documents the description and true cost of the rug. The merchant will not cooperate with the tour company to correct the alleged deliberate fraud. It has been a three month nightmare and is still not resolved. Do Not go there and do not trust the Moroccan tour guides as they are complicit in the fraud. barbara morton

3  Thank rugscam
Reviewed 20 May 2014

These guys are scammers. They will take your money. Tell you alot of lies and pretend to be your friend. They are the scum of the earth the people that work in here.

2  Thank 119Kiwi
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Ok, we bought two carpets with which I am very happy. BUT I also know I paid top dirham for them and have the feeling that the reviews elsewhere that this place is not all it seems are probably accurate. Despite repeated email requests we have not received the certificates of provenance promised. Am also questioning about the link between Ali's, the neighbouring Asmae Restaurant and one of the tannery shops. Much better places to go and other towns a lot better prices than in Ali's. The carpet story can be found everywhere so absolutely NO need to step inside Ali's door. If you do, caveat emptor.

1  Thank malcolmh194