“Enjoyable, reliable, No-brainer for our family”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bamboo Garden Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 20 Restaurants in Anamosa
Reviewed 14 January 2017

Bamboo Garden is a nice, relaxed restaurant in Anamosa, Iowa. It has a reasonably priced buffet, but you can order from the menu too.

We enjoy the variety on the buffet, so that's what we typically choose on our visits.

It's hard to pick a favorite. I like the Mongolian beef, my husband enjoys the general chicken, the kids really like the sesame chicken and we all love the crab rangoons. The kids also love the pudding and fried doughnuts!

1  Thank CitizenJane151

Reviewed 22 December 2016

Consistently good food on both hot and cold buffets. Can order from menu also.

Our kids enjoy the carbs: crab rangoon, egg rolls and stir-fried noodles, and also the fruit from the cold bar. They don't even touch the chicken nuggets on the hot bar anymore.

It's hard to settle on one favorite because they keep the ingredients fresh, and keep a variety of dishes available. Typically hot and sour soup and also egg drop soup are available.

Most recent visit saw tasty stir-fried green beans, and also a couple other dishes like chicken and broccoli. Was hard to pick a favorite four dishes last time.

When we're there, this place is usually a steady stream of repeat customers.

Reviewed 14 August 2016

We occasionally stop in town on our way along Hwy 151. Always quality ingredients. Fresh buffet. Wouldn't hesitate to order from the menu. Occasionally, one of the high-school aged servers disappoints in their attentiveness to table service, but most of time good service.

Better than most small town Chinese I've visited over the years. Far better than the popular "Easy Place" that was a student go-to for Chinese in Iowa City back in the day.
Also, as good as many places in larger Iowa towns like Cedar Rapids/Dubuque.

Hot buffet typically includes mongolian beef, cashew chicken, general chicken, sesame chicken, hot & sour soup, egg drop soup, dim-sum, chicken wings, egg rolls, crab rangoons.

I typically enjoy all of those, depending on my mood.

Cold buffet sometimes includes peel/eat shrimp (that might only be weekends or dinner), salads, pudding, lower-sugar Chinese pastries, fresh fruits, like mandarin oranges.

Our kids typically enjoy the sesame chicken, egg rolls, crab rangoons from hot buffet, and puddings and fruits from cold buffet.

I've eaten a lot of bad chinese food elsewhere (and wouldn't return to those places), and I've had a lot of good chinese food here and elsewhere. However, I'm not someone who will seek out top-tier chinese in large metro areas (eg: KC, Minneapolis, Chicago), so my perspective is influenced by that limitation.

Clearly, I'll go back to Bamboo Garden as our family enjoys it several times per year.

Reviewed 12 July 2015

We had driven by this place on numerous occasions and there are hardly ever any cars there. To be honest, we thought it was out of business for a long time. My wife and I enjoy Chinese food and we thought we'd give this small town place a try.

Not anything to write home about, but not terrible either. They have the usual dishes you'd find in any number of small Chinese restaurants. The taste on most of the dishes was kind of bland and nothing really stood out as something that would make this a favorite place to eat.

Reviewed 19 May 2015

We were surprised to find a Chinese Restaurant in Anamosa, IA due to the size of the town. The restaurant is clean and pleasant. The buffet offerings have the basics and is not that large but large enough. Food is good.