Hotwire.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Based on prior negative evaluations I was hesitant to book a room at Dusk to Dawn B&B. The reality is ownership changed in 2010 and the Schmid’s totally turned things around. Kathy is a most gracious and engaging host. She is very attentive to details and went the extra mile by providing foods conducive to a type 2 diabetes diet. The breakfasts were very good. The four downstairs units and dining area are very clean and tastefully decorated with antiques. Upstairs there are three more units just as nice as the downstairs units with a kitchen, which is not open in the winter. I would highly recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: We originally chose #1 because it had a King Bed, but it did not have a bathtub so we switched to #3 with a Queen Bed and bathtub. The bed was very comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JRBCruiser
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was our first time in a b and b ever and the experience was wonderful! The owner, Kathy, was so hospitable. The breakfasts were amazing. Food was hot, tasty, and presented so beautifully. I had asked the friends we were with if every b and b was this nice and they assured me they had been in some bad ones. The bedrooms were so comfortable too. If every bed and breakfast was this nice we would stay in them all the time. We would recommend this place, Dusk to Dawn to anyone!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank shawnmj
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is my second time to Amana with another group of friends,and I came back knowing I would be booking with Kathy at Dusk to Dawn B&B. We had the cottage that contained 4 bedrooms and dining area all to ourselves! The place was very clean, and the breakfast was plentiful, consisting of hot out of the oven breakfast casseroles, fresh fruit and the breads and pastries from the bakery next door. We enjoyed all the history and sights of Amana and Kathy had all the information to navigate our weekend. I just can't say enough about the owner, and her friendliness and hospitality. They have several festivals throughout the year, and I heard these are spectacular! Think I will plan my next visit during one of them!

Room Tip: If traveling in a group of family, the attached cottage is the way to go for a little more privacy and being able to hang out together in the dining and living area together while not disturbing others!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank darlajean08
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I just returned from a 2 day trip to Amana. One of the highlights of the trip was my stay at the Dusk to Dawn B&B. Kathy is a knowledgeable and gracious hostess; she called me on my cell phone because she was worreid that I was stuck in some local construction traffic. My room was very clean & the bed was ultra-comfy! I awoke to a parade of breakfast treats. First, it was fresh coffee and still warm from the bakery cinnamon rolls. An hour later she made brown sugar & coconut topped french toast, breakfast meats & fresh fruit. Kathy even called the local bakery & reserved cinnamon rolls for me to pick up on my way out of town (this bakery sells out most mornings). I wish I had allotted more time to spend at the B&B; the backyard is a rolling lawn of beautiful trees & flowers. Book at stay here!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank 3triplets
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We booked a room for three nights as we had never been to Amana and figured it would be a relaxing way to spend a little time. Wrong! Amana is best visited on the way to somewhere else, it really isn't a destination vacation.

That said, we were equally disappointed with this B&B. The "cottage" as it is called is touted as originally built in the 1800's and I don't think it has had much updating since. Our room was very tiny, one small wooden chair a bed and a TV so small you had to sit on the end of the bed to watch it. I should have been tipped off when I pulled back the shower curtain to find two dead bugs laying there. The mattress on our bed was either covered in plastic or made of plastic. And the bed creaked and felt like it would break. It was so loud we woke each other up all night long when we rolled over. There was one small window in the room and when we lowered the blinds a cloud of dust flew off.

The bathroom was seperated by a door in our unit, unlike the other units in the cottage. howver there was no fan so when someone took a shower the whole room steamed up unbearably. There was evidence of water damage and mold on the carpeting and a general odor of mustiness. The funniest part was that there were three nails sticking out of the walls with no pictures like someone had stolen them or something. The room decor left a lot to be desired.

The walls here are very thin, you can hear conversation and TV in adjacent rooms easily. The breakfast was mediocre at best and the coffee very weak. We actually went out for breakfast each morning after being served what passed for breakfast. Our motto after being here was "just because it says locally made does not mean it's good!" There are also not very good common areas for relaxing. The sun room is unbearable hot in the summer and the dining room has one chair and a couch pushed against the walls, not very cozy. We didn't go into the main house beacause we weren't invited to, it seemed like if you were booked in the cottage you stayed there.

We met several other guests while here, most were staying one night and had the same reactions that we did to their rooms. I understand the business is under new operation so maybe they are planning to make some changes. I hope so. But either way we will not be going back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple