“Used to be better”

Ritos Mexican Restaraunt
Ranked #35 of 317 Restaurants in Aurora
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

I'm not sure what's happened. Ritos used to be really good. Maybe they got too busy or something. Food quality isn't like it was in years past. Drinks are good but you feel guilty ordering anything but a house margarita because they are really struggling to keep up. So I can't really order my favorite drink. I'd feel bad for those guys. The service is slipping and I think they are rushing too much. Maybe time for a bigger place and more staff.

Reviewed 4 June 2016

Great neighborhood restaurant, more authentic than most Mexican places. Unless you share, there's always enough for lunch the next day. The jumbo Margaritas pack a punch--keep it to one, or have a designated driver! I don't know anyone who can handle more than 2. Order them on the rocks.

They make guacamole to order at your table, and the guy who does it tells the corniest jokes--same ones every time, but he is so easy-going that you can tease him about it and he just rolls with it. Truly a pleasure to pay the extra few dollars to have him stop and chat while he makes your guac. He's the face of the restaurant, as far as I'm concerned.

If you're there for your birthday (and you're over 21 and brave), they have a special treat for you. *wink*

Stay away on Thursdays--they're usually swamped. This and the host staff are the only drawbacks at Rito's. The women who work in the evenings are not friendly, and could learn a lot from "guac guy" about how to interact with their customers.

Reviewed 26 January 2016 via mobile

Great food and service! Get the table side guacamole and special Margarita! Reasonable prices and great food. Service can be a bit slow, but it's so worth it when lots if friends get together!

Reviewed 12 January 2016

We tried Rito's based on the suggestion of a neighbor. It is a medium sized square box of a room with a partial wall in the middle to give the illusion of two dining areas. There are some ordinary Mexican-styled decorations on the wall. Our experience did not start well as we waited for at least ten minutes for the hostess to even come to the front and acknowledge that we were there. The place was about 75% full and nobody else was waiting. We came close to walking out but she came up before we actually walked out the door.
We each ordered a drink while perusing the menu. Bottled beer (DosEquus) was only $3.95; wife's Pinot Grigio wine was $6. This was regular price; not happy hour.
We were hungry and each ordered a combination plate. I was very pleased with the chicken dishes that came with mine. The serving of meat was very generous and juicy. My wife thought that her beef dishes were bland, preferring to have some type of sauce on top for flavor. Each combo plate was only $10.95...very reasonably priced.
The guacamole we had was freshly made and quite good. We were given two types of salsa: one was green and mild; the other was hot with an overwhelming onion taste. I generally like spicy salsa and I like raw onions, but this one was over the top.
I would have given four stars except that my wife did not think much of her dinner and the poor hostess service was a bad start. Otherwise service was good.
If this review is helpful, please click the "helpful" button.

1  Thank J D
Reviewed 28 August 2015 via mobile

I've been a loyal customer for a while until tonight. The lack of cleanliness & bad service was too much. My margarita came out with a fruit fly, our guacamole had a hair in it. I tried to look past it & still ate dinner. Then the service went from bad to terrible. It took 2-3 time each try to track our server down. We were served dinner with no silverware. When we asked for some it took 10minutes to get it. He delivered 2 forks for 4 people. No napkins; nothing. With all the problems I had tonight; not once did anyone apologize. That's important in the service industry. I spoke to the owner & he insinuated that we placed hair in our own food instead of taking ownership. He acted like he was being generous by not charging me with his infested drinks/food. I will never step foot in that dump again