“Our Recommendation to Friends and Family”
Review of Jackson House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alton
Jackson House
Ranked #2 of 2 Alton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 January 2013

We have not personally stayed here- but live a couple of blocks away. Here are our two experiences:

First, for our local wedding, my husband's wealthy Chicago Aunt and Uncle stayed in the Cave Room of this bed and breakfast. There were extremely pleased.

Secondly, good friends of ours (not so wealthy) came from West Virginia and were looking for a reasonable place to stay with their dog for the four nights they were visiting. They stayed in the Barn. We visited them several times, played games in the enclosed sunroom (which was nicely heated with a gas furnace) and very much enjoyed it. They were extremely happy with the pricing (especially considering the pet factor) and it was great to have a real "place" for them to stay while visiting for so long.

We definitely will recommend this B&B to others who visit us.

Room Tip: The Barn was a great private two level "house", excellent for longer stays.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank VivantVivant

Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed in the "Cave" room. This was a very nice facility located behind the actual house. It is an earth house that is modern and very cozy with a private, secluded patio. Right next to the Cave is the "Barn", which is old horse barn that has been converted into a little house. It features a lower level with a closed in season room, and the bed is located in the loft up some steep stairs (nothing too challenging). I think the Barn and Cave are more ideal to stay in, rather than in the house. That is just my opinion since I want a more private, intimate setting. There is not much to do in Alton, you can visit Fast Eddies, which takes a little while, or you can go to the casino or take a nice little drive up the river road. They give you the option of having a cold breakfast, that is prepared and ready to eat the next morning, or you can dine inside and she makes the food for you. Again, I would choose the cold breakfast or no breakfast, the reason being that we unfortunately had some dog hair in our food, due to the fact that there are multiple dogs living in the house. The dogs are not out in the guest area though. The kitchen to me did not look like it was very clean either. I would have also like a more simple (for lack of better words) breakfast. The eggs were mixed with cream cheese and chives I believe, making them look unappealing and inedible. Also, for some weird reason, they serve pie with breakfast. It also had dog hair in it. I liked being able to unwind here and relax, but the food was very off-putting. I hope if you decide to stay here, that experience is better. The lady who runs the house works extremely hard to make your stay enjoyable. I did enjoy my stay but the food could have been better since it is a Bed and Breakfast.

Room Tip: Cave room is the best option.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2008

We spent a night in the cave room. The cave room is actually an earth house. It has a cute little private patio area but unfortunately it was the winter and we didn't get to use. The cave room is very cozy complete with gas fireplace, flat panel tv and two person jacuzzi. It was absolutely perfect for a romantic getaway. There were complimentary sodas in fridge. Breakfast was wonderful-great eggs, sausage, english muffins, fruti...and pie for dessert! Owner was very nice and helpful.

The main house was a gorgeous old Southern style home with awesome front porch. The yard was large with lots of big old trees to add to the ambience. Lovely.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple