“Great experience ”

Curiosity Museum
Ranked #10 of 31 things to do in Alton
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Exhibits and information have been researched and are historically accurate. The curator of our museum has visited Torture Museums in Europe where most of these devices originated. A collection of books on the sublect is available to browse while at the Museum. We are always on alert for information and adding new exhibits to our collection. Over 50 exhibits of torture devices from all over the world, some very simple, some diabolically clever, some still in use today. We have new Torture exhibits, and are expanding the museum to include curiosities, oddities, illusions and hands-on exhibits. Formerly the Historic Museum of Torture Devices this expanded attraction is now the Curiosity Museum.
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stumbled across this place while doing some Christmas shopping in Mineral Springs Mall. We were both pleasantly surprised and found ourselves walking around for several hours. There are many interesting historical things here you don’t get to see anywhere else. They have an extensive collection of replica torture devices. I recommend this place if you have a few hours to kill in Alton. Only $6 admission and it’s called the ‘Curiosity Museum’ now.

1  Thank Scraggsy123

Reviewed 5 May 2017

My husband was attending a beer festival, so I decided to see what Alton had to offer. I found this museum and was intrigued. I am a huge fan of the Tudor era and have read with revulsion the stories of Henry VIII and his daughter, "Bloody Mary", and their methods of torturing heretics. I walked in here expecting to see the methods used during this era. The woman at the front desk was very nice and told me to take my time and where to start. She let me know pictures are allowed as well. Each display had an artifact accompanied by a small note explaining the device as well as how and why it was used. Not only was it informative and very interesting, but it also reminded me of how ones fear can lead to collective insanity. Definitely worth the small price.

3  Thank didischoe
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

We went to the museum and it is very creepy. All of the device's were used to hurt and mutilate people. It was also in a haunted building!

Reviewed 6 October 2016 via mobile

The museum was small but the collection was comprehensive enough to be thoroughly disturbing. I never knew that there were so many ways to inflict pain on another human being.

1  Thank Anna D
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 July 2016

Drove and hour and a half to see this place. It is suppose to be open 12-4 Saturday and Sunday but it was CLOSED! No indication on website it was going to be closed. A person working at a shop in the building indicated owner didn't come in the previous day until 3 PM. Poor business practice! Called number on brochure and left message - no answer or return call.

1  Thank Jason H