“Great Staff”

Courtyard Athens Downtown
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I was forced to stay an extra night in Athens because of the recent snow and ice storm. The staff at the courtyard went above and beyond to make an unpleasant situation positive. They provided a complimentary meal on Monday night for those of us that were stuck inside and even offered to clear the snow and ice from our cars before leaving. Because of the circumstances guests and staff became like family which in my mind is the best compliment I can pay them.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Stephen L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2017

Thank you for your review! I apologize for the experience during your stay. You covered a lot of great areas in your review that other guests will find helpful. We will o work in our Bistro and Front Desk to improve the service to our guest. It still amazes me the wealth of information they have of things to see and do in Athens! I appreciate the comments, we really love what we do so it’s nice that it shows through. I’ve shared your comments with the team and of course they loved them! Please on your next stay stop by the desk I’d like to thank you in person.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Athens Downtown

Reviewed 25 October 2010

Spent Saturday night 10/23/10 in Athens at this property. This was obviously not built as a Courtyard property as some rooms have outside key card access. Hotel was clean and functional, no big issues. Pretty average for a typical Courtyard. I thought this location was a little closer to Downtown shops/resetaurants but it's about a 10 min walk. Some noise in the hallway from other guests but nothing major. Minor A/C issues but overall we had a comfortable evening.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IslandBoy1

Thank you for the great comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We knew would have a great stay with us . The Bistro is a great place to meet and have breakfast or dinner and enjoy your favorite Starbucks beverage The happy hour rocks between 5pm and 7 pm . We do pride ourselves in providing outstanding guest service and thank you for acknowledging the staff and how helpful they were and how clean our hotel during your stay. We hope you will come back to see us the next time you are in Athens.

Reviewed 30 August 2009

I have nothing really positive or negative to write about this hotel. The main positive is its location to the university. It is a short four block wall (up a hill) to Broad and College Streets in the heart of the university area. The main negative, like another poster, is the odd layout of the hotel. There was only one elevator toward the side back of the hotel and if your room is toward the front, you either have to walk a weird path through the hotel or take the stairs through the restaurant. The other surprise was that the continental breakfast actually cost money.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank LimitedTraveler

Reviewed 9 May 2009

This hotel seems more like an apartment complex. It has very nice landscaping and is charming to look at, which is its one saving grace. Once I got through the maze of steps, doors, and keycards to get to my room (which is really inconvenient if you have any heavy luggage!), I reached my room to find a really loud dehumidifier, and a teeny tiny vanity. I would not recommend more than one person in a room with a king sized bed because there was not enough room to share the sink (two ladies traveling together beware!). The downtown location was great, though and we were able to walk to all the downtown festivals with no problem. It seemed like there was more convenient access to the rooms by the parking lot and they looked like suites, which hopefully means they were more spacious than our tiny room.

It wasn't a bad hotel, I just wouldn't recommend if you are:

Traveling Alone (the area is a little sketchy)
Have a lot of luggage you can't carry (there are so many steps it would be impossible to roll it very far without having to pick it up)
Hate Humidity (although you can't hold that against Georgia)

I would recommend if you:
Have children - the pool was outdoors and right by some of the rooms
Need to walk downtown (with a friend)
Travel Light and don't mind using a keycard to get in and out of every single door

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank BethSpark

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 February 2009

I spent one night in Athens to attend a business meeting. Athens doesn't have any upscale hotels and I chose Courtyard because of my prior experience with the brand. The hotel is in the downtown area and within walking distance of many restaurants. The rooms are both interior and exterior - it's sort of like a Residence Inn and Courtyard combined. It's different but I liked it. You wouldn't know it was that way unless you drove around the building. Just from inside, it looks like a regular Courtyard with room doors on both sides of the hallway. I chose the interior room for my stay. Check-in was quick and the tasty cookie at reception helps after driving through Atlanta traffic. I did enjoy the free parking and free wireless internet in the room. The wireless internet was fast and easy to connect to. I asked for a microwave and refrigerator, they did provide it but the refrigerator looked a little grimy and did not work and both items looked a little beat up. The air/heater combo is a little Motel-6ish. It's loud and you can't set a temperature. It's either on (high or low) or it's off. I turned it off to get some sleep and it came on in the middle of the night and woke me up. The housekeeping staff and front desk were very helpful with directions and seemed willing to accommodate any request. The breakfast looked good but I didn't have time to enjoy it. I would stay here again considering the city and other hotel options in the area. Best thing is the free wireless in the room.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank adee74