“Hidden Surprise”

Ranked #7 of 441 Restaurants in Athens
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

We’ve driven by the last two years - only to be directed there as part of being told “you will be surprised!” Appetizers/food and overall service - a 10! Really enjoyed the shrimp & grits; devil eggs; and fried oysters - all appetizers! Chasing it down with a local Tropicali - that made and completed my night. Next time - I hope to make it to the Main Entree menu. Great food and even better service too.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

This is great are example of an outstanding local restaurant where both the food and service are top notch. For appetizers we had the sherry crab bisque and fried green tomatoes which were really good. Our entrees were the classic crawfish etoufee and the crab cakes and they were great. We suggest that you check this restaurant out when in the area.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

We called late afternoon for same-day Friday night reservation and they were so nice to squeeze us in on some cancellation openings. The cozy dining room was relaxed and charming. Staff was super friendly and attentive. Began with fried green tomatoes and 1/2 dozen grilled oysters on half shell and loved them. The cheesy biscuits were also great. Crawfish Etouffee, Jambalaya, Wedge Salad and Eggplant Pirogue     were served to our table and all was delicious! We would return again and again!

Reviewed 28 October 2017

Ever since I had my first taste of authentic etouffee at Merci Beaucoup restaurant in Natchitoches, LA in 2015, I have yearned for and sought out any place within driving distance of Hinesville, Georgia to eat this absolutely delicious cooking once again but to no avail. That is until I heard about this place in Athens, Georgia. I had just finished up my annual trip to the mountains at the Moonshiners Festival in Dawsonville, Georgia, when I saw a listing for another place, homemadeathens.com which advertsed that they had beignets, in Georgia Eats, The Official State Culinary Guide. I decided to drive an hour and a half out of my way going back home to Hinesville, Ga. to sample this and to ask about etouffee. While there enjoying coffee & beignets, I asked about any place that I could find Etouffee and was directed to George's Lowcountry Table. I quickly arrived since it was just a few blocks from there and was blown away by the menu, service, food, atmosphere, value, and the ever present smile on Jermaine, my waiter's face and his drive to accommodate me and ensure that my dinning experience was the most pleasant one to date. I slowly looked over the menu with its mouth-watering choices and at first couldn't decide on what to order but he suggested I try a FREE SAMPLE of their Etouffee, from that first taste, I was hooked and decided to order one of the most ordered items, the Eggplant Pirogue that normally comes with a salad. I also wanted to sample the fried green tomatoes with remoulade sauce. That is where Jermaine went over and above to make me a very happy customer. I told him I don't do salads and he offered to subsititue the fried green tomatoes minus the Hopping John, for the salad! He went to put my order into the kitchen and quickly returned with a basket of fresh, hot, home made biscuits and butter and a glass bottle of ice water along with my glass of ice water with lemon. Those hot biscuits just melted in your mouth. He brought out those wonderfully fried to a golden hue fried green tomatoes and sauce. From the first bite, I knew that I had made the right decision to drive out of my way for this meal! In no time, Jermaine was bringing out my order with that ever-present smile and infectious joy he had about him. It looked wonderful, that fried eggplant with shrimp, crab stuffing, & crawfish etouffee! It smelled amazing, and tasted simply devine with each and every bite. You can close your eyes and can taste the vibe and distinct flavour that is New Orleans. The portions were generous and I had to get a box to take my food back home to Hinesville Ga. in and could smell it the four hours it took me to get home. I am enjoying those leftovers as I am writing this review and reliving that wonderful food all over again. I want to thank the entire staff for making me feel right at home and the unforgettable dinning experience that I had. I am planning on a return trip in April 2018 to see the Botanical Gardens a mile and a half away and to once again sample that New Orleans flavour found at George's in Athens. Many thanks to Zack who told me about George's. I will return to his place for those beignets and coffee for dessert! I was really lucky to have gotten a table on a friday night, but most people were away at the Ga Bulldog game in Jacksonville, Florida, including my sister and her finance! They have free wifi, reservations are available too! P.S. the menu also offers steaks, seafood, short ribs, country fried chicken, collard greens, prok tenderloin, salads, pimento cheese & fried okra, Gumbo, etc.

1  Thank MariefromGeorgia
Reviewed 24 October 2017

The food and the service here was very, very good. I had the bisque and the Shrimp and Tortellini Carbonara. The flavor and richness of both was outstanding. We will definitely go back. The only disappointment was the biscuits were really dry.