All reviews full kitchen pots and pans small kitchen huge room king suite nice hotel in town rooms are spacious nice stay other hotels pantry refrigerator accommodations pet ga
Reviewed 10 October 2017

Stayed at the location from 9/27-9/28/17 for business. I requested to have my amenity points given to me. I did not receive them. I called on today, 10/10/2017 and spoke with Brittany. Very rude, was not any help. She said she was in training. All IHG employees should be taught to give points. She tried to tell me points are given after check-out.
Not true. If you stay, check your points.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank LYNN S
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

Hi LYNN S!

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience! It's good to know from your ratings that you slept well while you're here. We just regret that there was an issue with your Welcome Bonus Points and the way it was handled.

This is certainly not how we want our guests to remember us. I sent you a private message to follow up on your concerns.

We appreciate you as an IHG Rewards Club member and hope that you can give us another chance to make it up to you.

Many thanks,

Gian M
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

This trip was a seven night stay as we were evacuating Florida for Hurricane Irma.

Check In - The agent who checked me in was very friendly. She explained the amenities of the hotel and was extremely helpful.

Room - The 2 queen bed studio suite was very nice. Extremely comfortable beds! There was a kitchen in the suite which was very convenient.

Food and Beverage- No restaurant on site, but the pantry offered lots of options.

Hotel Condition - Very good! This property is kept in great condition!

Overall Service- Excellent guest service! The manager was exceptionally friendly and the staff was first rate!

Overall - The manager kindly waived the pet fee because of the hurricane. He and his staff do a great job of making the guests feel welcome!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Had to wait 20 mins to check in. Desk person spent way too much time on 2 men that tried to use 2 different credit cards that were declined . I was not acknowledged while I stood there . After a short discussion I was givens refund. Walking back to my car I had to make my way thru several individuals some drinking others just hanging out ! I didnt feel safe !

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

I used to stay in Athens very frequently a few years ago. I had the opportunity to revisit recently and decided to stay at one of my go to hotels in the area. To my surprise the front desk receptionist remembered me from about three years ago.

The room was very clean and spacious. I love being able to have a full size fridge in the room; this is a great bonus.

This short stay brought back some fond memories of this great city. I hope I get a chance to come back again someday

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Compared with other hotels in the Holiday Inn and Hilton chains, this is an average place, but I'll give it a "very good" compared with other Candlewoods -- Holiday Inn's "value" brand.

Here are the strengths (don't worry, warts to follow):

-- After passing on a ground floor double -- way too small for us and all our stuff -- we settled in a third-floor king suite that is enormous and comfortable, with a full kitchen far and away better than those at Homewoods and Staybridges. It's fully equipped, everything works, there are plenty of pots and pans, knives, folks, bottle openers, large and working kitchen, etc. A pleasant surprise.

-- There are four washer-dryer combos -- all free!

-- The staff is helpful and engaging

-- there's a big fitness room if you need it

-- the luggage carts are large and have hard-rubber tires, making them usable for heavy loads. But there are only two of them.

Now the downside:

-- the place is like a boarding house without the "board" part of room and board. There's no meal service, including no breakfast, and even a banana costs a buck. The coffee, though, is good and free.

-- because it's an extended-stay kind of place, housekeeping is a once-a-week deal. You can empty your own wastebaskets, go get the next roll of toilet paper, and lug your dirty towels down to the desk for replacement.

-- don't expect much of a staff beyond the front desk. I reported crushed dog food (or maybe a sugar cone) ground into the floor of the elevator and out into the third-floor hallway, and it took four hours and a couple of reminders before anyone got around to sweeping things up.

-- and there is no porte cochere, so if you arrive on a "rainy night in Georgia" -- and many are -- prepare to unload in the open. Unlike similar situations at many Homewoods and Staybridges and other Candlewoods, however, one is able to drive close enough to the door to get at least a modicum of an overhang under which to unload much -- though not all, of one's stuff.

-- finally, don't be fooled by the hotel's "Athens" address. It may have an Athens zip code, but it's a good 10 miles out of town on the OLD "Atlanta Highway," which in our time here has been busy every time we've ventured out.

Summarizing, if you check in with your eyes open, enjoying the "value" part of the deal (it is 50 bucks a night cheaper than most other brands), this Candlewood deserves its "very good" rating.

Room Tip: As I said, pass on the double-queen rooms if you need lots of space.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Candlewood A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Thank you for your review.