“Feels like being in the Jungle”

Clarion Copan Ruinas
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Copan Ruinas
Reviewed 14 October 2017

I stayed here as part of an organized tour for 2 nights. Nice older style place on expansive and very well-maintained grounds including swimming pool, lawns, a nature walk path with labeled trees and many flowers in the adjacent forested area. Simple but pleasant lobby, easy walk-up stairs (no elevator) to the second floor. Room with tiled floors, sort of cozy but the rooms would benefit from better lighting, particularly at the small desk. Perfectly functioning free wifi and good air conditioning, ample free bottled water in the room, well-functioning bathroom with bathtub/curtained shower with good water flow and temperature, good sleep quality. Breakfast: set on the quite wet grassy grounds under a tent structure, good but not fantastic array of buffet breakfast items. My preferred overall rating would be 3.5 - good.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Thank God we changed our plans and only stayed one night in this hotel in need customer service and renovations!

Definitely did not live up to Choice Privileges Member Hotel Standards! I'm a member and expected so much more. Not sure if any part of the hotel is newly renovated and that's what other reviewers comments are based on. Our room was spacious but in desperate need of renovations, new linens and a NEW bathroom. The bathroom grossed me out with 70/80's decor, and the bathtub got clogged and filled up with water while showering. Totally disgusting and unacceptable considering the not so cheap US Dollars I paid for the night.

Supposedly breakfast was "included" when I booked the room for 2 adults and 2 children, but apparently children are not important at this hotel. When I went to inquire where the mediocre restaurant was they informed me that the breakfast is only included for "adults!!!" REALLY??? Are you kidding me?? I was so annoyed but didn't say anything to the front desk and I figured I would write this review instead. Well I had to order food for my non-included children, and pay for food breakfast that sucked and to top it off, it was expensive.

The staff at the restaurant seemed to be rushing me, and they don't know how to provide excellent customer service. No tip for them!

Well anyway like I said, for personal reasons we had previously decided to cut our Copan trip short to go to Tela instead and thank God we did. I am NEVER returning to his hotel.

It's only convenience is the proximity to the ruins which are a few minutes. Next time I will definitely stay in the town which is about another 20 minutes away, and which I've heard has great hotels, with employees who know how to treat their guest, and with lovely restaurants and coffee shops with fresh, delicious affordable food!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandy O
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

This is a great hotel for the entire family. Great location to the ruins, great food, friendly and helpful staff, they speak English. Shuttle service is available or take a taxi to the ruins or into town for about $1 per person.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Clarion C, General Manager at Clarion Copan Ruinas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Dear Mr. Barry,

Thanks for you opinion.
We are glad you enjoy being hosted with us and we hope you come an visit us again, we will be more than happy to serve you as you and all your family deserve.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Room 114 - The bathroom looks like nothing has been updated since the 1930's. The main part of the room looks nice with everything fresh and clean. But upon close inspection, there's evidence of wear and tear in several places. This is low season, occupancy is low and I would have expected a better room if one were available, I'd have asked for another room before I settled in but for a surprise I'll recount at the end.

I had a refreshing swim in the pool which is in the center of the patio, a few steps from the pool. It is a charming, colonial, quiet peaceful oasis after a fairly long day on the road and dinner in the hotel restaurant was quite good with extremely attentive service.

The lights just went out for the second time. The first was during dinner as a result of the downpour, This time the lights came right back, but went out again after a couple of minutes and went out and back again. It's rainy season, an especially rainy one and I guess that is to be expected.

The worst was during the first downpour earlier. I went back to my room to get my wallet and without noticing, a whole bunch of flies got into the room and bathroom. Spraying with bathroom door closed got all of them but the bedroom area still has a few. The insecticide must be eco and human friendly because it doesn't kill very quickly. You live and learn.

One more critique. I'm 74 and had cataract surgery and I'm seeing better than any time in my life. The light level in the bed and worktable area borders on gloomy at night

Room Tip: have them show you many. The biggest advantage is it's quiet away from the partying in town,
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Clarion C, Gerente at Clarion Copan Ruinas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Thank you for the comment made, this way we make decisions so out customers can be happy. Referring to the tears in the room, the necessary corrections were made. The energy is due to the fact that we are in a montainous area, for what has been improved with the company that provides the service. the lighting issue has already been corrected, we have been updating with better lighting systems in the rooms.
we reiterate the gratitude for your comment and hope that in a future visit everything is to you liking.

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2017

This hotel is very close to the Copan archaeological site and equally close to the town of Copan Ruinas. You could walk but there are tuk-tuks and taxis available if you don't have your own wheels. Loved my room overlooking the garden.....it was spacious and comfortable with a closet. It would have been great to have had a mini-safe, but the hotel seems conscious of security. I enjoyed our meals here. Overall the staff aimed to please and were friendly and helpful. There's a short nature walk in back of the hotel which was fun to take. I didn't use the swimming pool in the courtyard but it looked tempting. The setting was very pleasant, including its being quiet in the evenings. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Clarion C, General Manager at Clarion Copan Ruinas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Dear Ms. Susan,
Thank you for your feedback. We are more than happy you chose to stay with us and to let us be part of your experience lived in Copan Ruinas. We will like to have you soon here with us and hope that on your next visit our rooms have a mini-safe. It is a pleasure for us to serve you as you deserve.

Best regards,