All reviews on stilts breakfast buffet tucan tour hot water rio dulce hurricane season reception and bar area tour group individual cabins stay there again only accessible by boat best kept secret longer stay by water taxi happy hour pizza central america
Reviewed 25 July 2017

I stayed here and had a wonderful, relaxing time. There are cabins all over this little island and they are very nice and super clean! The island also has a restaurant, a breakfast buffet and a bar at the pool. There is free wifi throughout the island and you can take a boat tour of Lake Izabal and see how the locals live on the Rio Dulce. I wouldn't stay more than a couple nights as the island is very small and you would run out of things to do. But, it's a great place if you just want to kick back and relax for a couple days.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

This is a quaint older resort which is a collection or cabins. We stayed one night as part of our tour. Its older so dont expect modern decore. What it does have is great AC, comfy clean beds, a good shower and insect screens in the very generous sized rooms. Great swimming in the warm fresh water lake and a nice swimming pool.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2017

These are rustic cabins on stilts over the water. They are far from airtight so you're likely to get visitors in the night. Nothing dangerous but insect repellent is advisable before bed. My room, India, did have a work table and plenty of light for my laptop. My guide asked for a room with good WiFi and India is right next to the access point, I'm told the WiFi doesn't reach all rooms. The remote for the air conditioner didn't work so I had to climb up on one of the beds to turn it on or adjust it.

There's no closet space except a couple of hangers on the wall. The room had two beds so I spread what I needed on the other bed.

On the positive side, the pool was clean and refreshing, the grounds pleasant but the dining room at four in the afternoon hot and steamy, lattice work walls letting in what breeze there was.. The food and service excellent though.

The morning dawned with pleasant coolish temperatures. Breakfast buffet was ample and well prepared. Service overall was courteous and prompt.

Room tip: Ask for room with good WiFi signal.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2017

Even though it was a fun hotel being reached by boat, I would not have chosen it.
The chalet type hotel were great, a feeling of adventure and camping in a superb surrounding, but,, the fact that you could not walk to the mainland and had to take a boat was not for me, I felt trapped, like a prisoner, obliged to eat at the hotel, not my kind of place, more a question of choice really

Room tip: For family with children and lovers of water activities
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2017

We stayed here for one night during our tour of Guatemala,
Location for one night is absolutely fine. Located on the edge of the river with access by boat it feels like an island, has some stunning sunset/sun rise views and is tranquil and calm. It appears a bit 'Heath Robinson' on arrival as you dock on the wooden deck close to the reception and bar area. Rooms are all wooden cabins with Nato phonetic alphabet names which requires a bit of map work to determine where yours is located. Not all are 'over the water' which is a bit of a shame.
We stayed in PAPA which was a bit 'past its best' (think garden shed with a bed and en-suit), it had a lot of windows and was so hot inside when we arrived that the free water provided was bath water warm. It was a bit scruffy inside, the windows did not fit tight , the aircon unit was held in place by silver duct tape was was very old and noisy and the shower toilet area was quite basic. I believe some 'sheds' were more modern. Given the hotels location (by the river) we were worried there may be mosquitoes and indeed a number of our party did suffer various bites during the evening and night.
You cannot eat/drink anywhere other than the hotel however despite guests being a captive audience food and drink prices were the same as other hotels of a similar standard. Great place to have a sunset drink.
Food at dinner was fine, nothing special but perfectly OK.
Breakfast by the water side was tranquil and charming although they did run out of fruit when we were there.
OK pool but it looked a bit 'murky' while we were there. Lots of bird life to look at and photograph.
Staff were helpful when needed.
Not sure I would stay there again and certainly would hope PAPA cabin gets a bit of a makeover.Maybe I've been a bit mean with my rating however ...

Room tip: Ask to 'see' the cabin before committing to it. Water side may be more tranquil
Date of stay: February 2017