“Very local and authentic ”
Review of Gamboa Place

Gamboa Place
Ranked #9 of 22 Restaurants in Livingston
Cuisines: Guatemalan
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

The restaurant has been recommended to us by members of the Garífuna community and indeed while eating there we were surrounded by locals. Very tasty food, authentic vibe, friendly service. Many typical Garífuna dishes to chose from.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 4 February 2016

Restaurants in Livingston tend to be marginal and pricy. Gamboa Place is an oasis. The quality is high, portions generous, and prices reasonable for Livingston. They serve traditional Garifuna and Belizean cuisine, and strong coffee. It’s up an alley off the beach, but the entrance is well marked. Once you reach the restaurant you’ll find an open air patio, clean tables, and a fresh colorful friendly environment. And they have Marie Sharp’s hot sauce on every table. These folks are very much a part of the surrounding Garifuna community, so just ask anyone when you reach down to the sea. It’s just north of the “discos.” Tell them you’re looking for Gamboa and you’ll likely meet with a friendly greeting. They also seem to be well connected to local fishermen, so this would be a good place to try some fresh fish. Maybe some hudut.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 4 January 2016 via mobile

Wow wow wow wow
When you see the place you don't believe what can come out of that kitchen. We went to Gamboa's place after reading tripadvisor and we truly confirm what was said. It's no more than a lady's home. The order takes time. But when food arrives to the table, it's delicious!
Homemade Tapado was just wonderful.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 12 June 2015

I discovered this place when the brother of Maria, the owner, dragged me there. Of course I was wary, but I was glad I came here. The food there is amazing, I tried the Ceviche, the Tapado and the Fish with Plantin (maybe it was Yucca or Manioc) and all those dishes were delicious. They serve nice cold beers and you also have the option to order home made Lemonades and Juices. You will get a true Garifuna experience here with outstanding home cooked food. I just have to note that service is on the slow side BUT there is no rushing in Livingston, I think we all know you have no real plans when you are out here... just take it easy!

A great thing here is, while you are waiting for your food, you are being entertained. The first time I came, the brother of the owner told us a bit about his culture and made us a banana leaf cigar. That was very nice and interesting. The second time I passed by at Gamboa's place, I went there with the same travellers I met there the day before and we were making music together with him and his son using the local instruments. I found it a great experience, it was a lot of fun and it is also a great place to chill.

The owner Maria is such a lovely lady and her food will blow you away, she serves breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. Her brother can pretty much help you with anything. The restaurant is too be found by Playa Barique (you go left when the main street ends and walk for about 3-5 minutes) and it is great stop when going or coming back from Seite Altares.

Date of visit: June 2015
2  Thank Jonathan N
Reviewed 29 November 2014

We enjoyed our meals here. Great fresh fish and fries for us best burger in Guate for the grandson. The kids were entertaining us with a Garifuna dance, very cute.

Date of visit: December 2013