“Quirigua Ruins & Rio Dulce Canyon”
Review of Happy Fish Travel

Happy Fish Travel
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Livingston
Cuisines: Caribbean, Central American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 22 March 2018

Booked this tour since we had a long time in port. I like that they allow credit card payments in advance, that's less cash I have to bring with me. The bus ride out to the ruins was a little boring but that's mostly because our guide was mediocre. The countryside is very scenic and there is plenty to look at.

The ruins were pretty interesting, just make sure you remember your bug spray... We forgot ours and got eaten alive until some kind lady saw our plight and offered to share. I did like the ruins at Costa Maya (Chacchoben) better, but these were different and neat in their own right. I felt like we had sufficient time here. The Jade museum was not very interesting and obviously just a front to get you to spend money. I wish they had a better gift shop here. Chacchoben had an awesome variety of stuff and here there was very little other than expensive jade.

The bus ride to the restaurant was again not very interesting other than looking at the scenic terrain. There were also some miscommunications between our guide and the bus driver. The guide told us that he is not employed by Happy Fish, he is just contracted from time to time to do tours for them. I think the difference really shows when you compare to Native Choice in Costa Maya, for example. Not something that ruined our tour, but it just wasn't the same smooth, seamless experience. The food at the restaurant was really good. After lunch we headed to the boats.

Now, on a nice day I think this boat would have been fine. It was covered but it was open air. It was a pretty big step up/down to get out/in but there are plenty of people to help if you need it. Unfortunately, on the day we were there it was POURING down rain. It started out to be not too bad, but the longer we were on the lake the worse it got. They did have tarps but if you're at the back you're going to get soaked anyways. We definitely skipped a couple of stops because people were just sick of getting wet. This is not really Happy Fish fault, but it still sucked. Other than getting wet I enjoyed the boat ride, and if the weather had been nice I think it would have been very enjoyable. Note that when you stop in Livingston the only bathroom close to the dock there is someone who wants a dollar to let you in...

All in all we had a good time. Yes, things weren't perfect, and the weather certainly didn't help, but I'm glad we had the opportunity to experience Guatemala like this. I would not hesitate to book with Happy Fish again.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

I rarely eat seafood and it is even rarer that I eat good seafood (I am from Switzerland - explains it all), BUT: if you are in Livingston, come here and have a Tapado. Don't be shy or sceptical about it. I had to google how to eat a whole crab and how to eat a whole fish, but it has been so worth it. The soup has an absolutely smooth texture and the shrimp and fish were just delicious. Get over yourself and try it, this is the place, I promise

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

the worst restaurant in guatemala, what we visit. the food could not be eaten. we returned it and still paid for the full price. we have spoiled the impession from livingston!!!!

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

We had fried chicken and chips and a cheese/bacon burger and chips.
I know, I know, why not fish?

Well, we’re not that into fish by the restaurant and decor and vibe was so good, we wanted to eat here.

The chips were nice. The burger, nice. The chicken - very dry.

The pina colada was very good for 40Q.

Service ok. All in all, a tad disappointed, we expected a little better.

Lastly, they automatically added a 10% tip which I feel is presumptive. That ought to be the diners choice in my opinion.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

A lady on my cruise ship told me about Happy Fish. When we landed, I found their kiosk. The guy in charge, Gustavo, gave me a good deal because I was by myself. First, you travel across the water for half an hour in a little boat that holds 16 people to the mouth of the river. Then our tour went upriver. It was beautiful: jungle on one side and cliffs on the other side. Very wild and rustic and beautiful. Unspoiled beauty. There was a spot where there were hot springs coming out from the side of the cliff. We could get out and bathe in the hot water. Back at the mouth of the river we stopped at the town of Livingston and had a great meal. Our tour guide on the boat was Rigil. He is a sweet, young man. Very nice. Our boat driver was Mario--very capable. The half-hour trip back to our cruise ship was wild---through a storm. But Mario handled the weather and the waves and got us back safely. It was a wild and wonderful experience.